Chapter 1: Change

Torn

Michelle reaches her office and places the mail beside her desk. She diligently finishes her client praying that should she would leave just a little bit earlier. What felt like forever, Michelle was finally able to open her long awaited letter.

 

“Dear Michelle,

 

We congratulate you on your acceptance to our company. Your skills and professional background has exceeded beyond our expectations! We are looking forward to meeting you and starting a new adventure and career with SM Entertainment.

 

Wishing you the best”

 

Michelle smiled proudly reading the letter, she has waited long and hard to get a new change in her career. Her day dreaming session ended quickly when Chloe gracefully walks into her office.

 

“God, you never knock do you?”

 

“Knock? What’s that?” Chloe giggles as she munches on her Saewookkang (Korean snack)

 

“Snacking on the job too huh? Give me one!” Chloe smoothly sits on Michelle’s desk and hands her the bag.

 

“Oh, you got the letter.” Chloe snaches the letter right from Michelle’s hand

 

“HEY! Your hands better not be greasy! Don’t ruin the letter.”

 

“Yeah, yeah.” Chloe scans the letter and smiles. “Dang girl, you are actually going aren’t you?”

 

“Of course, you know how long I’ve been wanting this.”

 

“Uh huh, that’s why you have been studying Korean and became a pro at it.” Chloe hops off Michelle’s desk and stretches. “Mm, oh yea the boss wants to see you.”

 

“Now?!”

 

“Yup.” Chloe yawns and scratches her stomach

 

“Seriously, you are too much. How do I look?” Michelle quickly stands up and dusts off her clothes.

 

“God, why do you worry about stuff like that? The boss is too old for you anyway.” Chloe snickers.

 

“Ugh, don’t miss me too much when I hit up that first class plane yo.” Michelle strikes a pose before she heads to her boss’s office.

 


 

Another late night for Siwon, he slowly opens the door to his lavish place.

 

“I”m home.” Siwon drags his feet across the living room and lies down on the couch. He tries to close his eyes when he feels something cold against his fingers. “Hm? Oh there you are Bugsy.” He smiles as he picks up his cute furry friend. “Did you miss me? I missed you so much. Another busy day for papa, so much to do and so little time.” Siwon places Bugsy on the carpet and affectionately pets him. “Aw, did you worry about me? Don’t worry, we must stay strong right? That’s what God wants from us. Come on, let’s get ready for bed.” Siwon heads to his bedroom with little Bugsy following right behind.

 

~~

“Michelle...”

 

“Sir, you know I would never hide anything from you.”

 

“Yes I know, it just happened so quickly. I had other plans for you.”

 

“I know Sir, if it wasn’t for your support I would have never bothered applying for the job”

 

“Yes I know, I’m proud of all that you have done here Michelle. I hired you even though you didn’t come from the top school and your skills were mediocre. I gave you chance and you have soared beyond any of our expectations.”

 

“It’s all thanks to you.”

 

“Well, you better knock their socks off over there. I’m sure they have high expectations for you as a legal adviser and one who is not Korean. You better make me proud.”

 

“Of course, I will never let you down. Thank you for your encouragement.”

 

“Yes, now go get going. Do you even know where you will be staying?”

 

“Um” Michelle scratches the back of her head. “I’m working on that.”

 

“Aigoo, this girl. Well you sure aren’t going to live at some dorm. I’ll arrange for you stay with my Grandmother. She’s the sweetest lady, she’ll take care of you.”

 

“Really?! Thank you so much.” Michelle bows deeply

 

“Aish, save that when you go to Korea.”

 

Sajangnim gamsahamnida!” (Boss, thank you).  

 

“You can use all your Korean skills when you get there.” He pats her head. “Now get out of here!” Michelle smiles and sprints out her boss’s office.