A Courteous Gesture

My Lucky Star

It felt like hours have passed, yet you still couldn’t fall asleep. Although the couch was somewhat comfy and the blanket given to you kept you warm, you just couldn’t find the will to shut your eyes. Like any other person, you were still very on edge. You wouldn’t be surprised if the members locked their doors when they headed back to their separate rooms for the remainder of the night. You would if you were them. Now knowing that they’re singers in Korea, it started to make sense why Taemin’s expression turned from shocked to normal when you first saw him. He must’ve thought you were a fan. But why would he act calm around a “fan” that was in his home at two in the morning? You couldn’t help but think how cute he was when he smiled though. “What am I thinking??” You silently scolded yourself and hit your head to rid such thoughts from your mind.

            But they only came back. You started to replay the events that just occurred over and over in your head, thinking about how your first impression towards each member was. You didn’t even have to think too hard for your opinion of Kibum. He was really kind to you, even if you were a supposed “crazy fan girl” sneaking into their home in the middle of the night; he wasn’t rude. Onew was equally sweet. He didn’t speak much, but you could tell how charming he was by just looking at him. You were curious at what the last member, Minho, looked like; if he was as charming and kind as the others are. You scratched your head. Were you missing someone…?

You were in the middle of mentally pounding your skull for answers when you heard a scuffle come from the hallway diagonal from where you lay. Alarmed, you started upright on the sofa, clenching at the blanket as if it provided any further safety. Your eyes widened in the darkness, straining to see who was moving around in the night. As your eyes finally adjusted to seeing distant objects in the dim moonlight, you saw Jonghyun appear in the archway. “It’s like he just answered my question…” You thought as he slowly approached.

He stood there awkwardly for a moment, unsure of why he, himself, walked out to you when he could be sleeping. He swayed on his feet before he spoke. “Can’t sleep?”

That seemed like a generic question. “N-no…” You answered, voice unintentionally sounding weak.

Jonghyun took a step back, then forward. He seemed anxious about something. “I’m sorry about being so reserved earlier.” He gave a shallow bow. “If you want…you can use my bed.”

“W-what?” You practically yelled. “I’m not—.”

“It’s hard to fall asleep on the couch. We can switch if you want to…” He proposed, seeming like he knew what he was talking about; and you’d bet all your money that he did—if you had any.

You silently breathed out a sigh of relief. For a second, you thought he might’ve had different motives. So far, Korea is much different than America; in a somewhat good way. You looked back up at him. “But then you won’t be able to sleep that well.”

Jonghyun waved his hand, not seeming to care about it. “You probably need it more than me.”

“But I don’t—.”

Unannounced, Jonghyun grabbed your wrist and pulled you off the couch. Stunned, you let out a shocked gasp, but quickly covered your mouth with your free hand, not wanting to wake the other members up. You tugged at his grip as he pulled you along towards his room. You could see the light under the door as the two of you approached.

“Jonghyun—.”

“Shh.” He hushed you, opening his room door and ushering you inside.

You quickly turned around to lock eyes with him before he could leave. “Jonghyun—.”

“Min Hana,” He cut you off as he stood at the edge of the doorframe. “I’m not comfortable sleeping in a nice bed while a girl is stuck sleeping on the sofa.” You felt your pulse speed up for a second there. He turned to head back to the couch.

“Jonghyun…” You whispered. The man paused mid-step to look back at you. “You don’t have to do this…”

“Yeah…” He shrugged. “But I want to.” He quickly went back to the couch before you could reply.

He left you standing in the doorframe in shock. A man you just met—just met—is handing his room over to you for the night. Either he’s crazy, or really sweet. You hoped he was the latter. You slowly closed the door and turned around to the room. Your eyes landed on the full-sized bed, a small smile spreading across your face. “Waa~,” You let out before making your way over to the mattress. You sat down and let out a sigh. Finally feeling secure and the weight of fatigue, you lay down on your side and pulled the sheets to your mouth. Feeling your eyes become heavy, you shut them and quickly fell into a deep sleep.

You were shaken from your sleep by the bright sun piercing its way through your shut eyes. Turning over onto your stomach, you let out a loud groan. “What time is it…?” You mumbled incoherently, looking over at the nightstand for the analog clock that read ‘five past seven’ in the morning. Letting out another groan, you flipped over and shut your eyes, intending to go back to sleep, but noises outside of your room kept you from falling back under.

“Ah,” You sighed. “Why is mom so loud?” You sat up in bed, not fully taking in your surroundings. But after rubbing your eyes and stifling a yawn, you froze as the noises became more understandable; when you were able to tell they were male. Thinking for a moment, you remembered what happened last night. Face going red from embarrassment, you hopped out of the bed and gently placed your ear on the door, listening to the conversation that lay outside. The four familiar voices from last night were loud and upbeat. Among the other four was one you have yet to remember.

You hastily ran your fingers through your hair—trying your best to get your bed head to stay down—and wiped away at any eye crust that lingered. Taking a deep breath, you turned the knob and stepped into the hallway. Looking right, towards the light, you slowly make your way down the hall.

As you entered the living room, you found the members sitting around the dining room table to your right. Key hopped up when he noticed you and quickly dragged you over to the table with him. “Minho~,” He called. A man with light brown hair that was parted in the middle looked up at you. “This is Min Hana. The girl we were talking about.”

Minho put his chopsticks down and gave a shallow nod. “So what are you planning?” He asked, looking back over at Key. His voice was deeper than you imagined.

“What do you mean?”

“Well…if all you’ve said is true,” He said, picking his silverware back up. “Then what’s the plan?”

“Well,” Kibum looked at the other members for help, but they were all looking for the same answer. “We don’t know yet.” Minho was about to speak up again, but Key quickly cut him off, pulling another chair to the table and another set of chopsticks. “Here, here, let’s eat first.” He handed you a bowl after you took a seat. “Here, it’s bean sprout soup and some rice.”

You slowly nodded. “Thank you…”

He nodded back then returned to his own bowl and stomach. The others did the same, pouring some soup into their bowls and grabbing some rice with their spoons. Watching them, you picked up your bowl and chopsticks, ready to eat, but you really didn’t know where to start. Back at home, it was simpler, like cereal or eggs, but it was like a feast here. You scooped some rice into your bowl and leaned forward to reach the kimchi. You tried to pick up some of it with your chopsticks, but it kept falling back onto the plate. You tried again to no avail. The others started to notice after a few more tries.

Key gave a chuckled at your attempts. “Are you okay?”

“Y-yeah,” You say as you dropped the kimchi once more. Feeling defeated, you placed down your chopsticks and hung your head in shame. “This is harder than it looks…”

Next to you, Jonghyun laughed. “Here, put some rice on your spoon.” You looked up to find him already holding the piece you were trying so hard to get in his chopsticks. Following his instructions, you glumly scooped out some rice onto your spoon and held it out. He carefully placed the food on top of your rice. “Go ahead,” He urged. “Try it.”

You quickly ate it before it could fall off, eyes widening with delight. “Mmm,” You hummed with glee. “Who made this?”

“Key-hyung,” Taemin said as he ate.

“It’s really good, Key.” You smiled. “Thank you.”

“I make a lot of the meals around here.” He said, seeming a little disgusted with the thought.

"Oh," Taemin spoke. "Hyung, you leant your room to Min Hana last night, right?"

You look over fast enough to see Jonghyun's ears flush. "Yeah," He said, trying to sound calm. "I did..."

"Why are you nice so suddenly?" The maknae pushed. "You were pretty mean when we first met her."

"It's nothing, Taemin." Jonghyun mumbled, stuffing more food into his mouth.

Confused, you went back to eating your rice.

It was silent for a while until Onew perked up. “You know, we should order some chicken for lunch.”

“Hyung,” Minho called, not sounding all that surprised. “Let’s finish this meal first.”

Shortly after everyone finished their breakfast, the members spent a few minutes getting ready to leave for the recording studio. After everyone hopped into the company van, you were quickly taken over to the building.

 

 

Ahhh, everyone~. Thank you so much for subscribing and commenting! I'm glad you all are enjoying what I've written so far!
This chapter is shorter, but I had to cut it off here, otherwise, the studio scene would've been way too long.
As promised, I have delivered.
I'm sorry if it seems I'm rushing things. To be honest, I'm not that great at pacing the boring stuff.

Anyway, I'll continue to present this gushy stuff and whatnot. 

Again, thank you guys so much!

See ya next week~!!