First Meeting

My Lucky Star

            “Eh—.” You blanched in the dark room, eyes widening automatically to better your sight. You quickly stood up, uncertain at how you even ended up here. The last thing you remember was waking up in your room, the bright beams of the sun niggling its way through your curtains. Then, everything went black. It just couldn’t be pieced together how this could’ve happened. You took a cautious step forward, worried that your first step would lead you to falling into an endless pit. The more steps you took, the lighter they became. You went a short distance before you reached a wall. You placed your hands on the structure and sidestepped along it until you reached something that felt like a light switch. You felt around for the actual switch and flicked it down.

            The room illuminated with overhead lights, flooding your sense of sight. You squinted for a moment as your eyes adjusted to the brightness. You looked around; maybe the scene would remind you of where you were. To your knowledge, you were standing in a living room. Across from you, curtains covered the windows. A black, L-shaped couch sat, pushed up against the wall to your right, and across from that, a plasma TV. You reared up against the wall, alarmed and anxious. You continued to your right, hoping to find a way to jog your memory. You reached the end of the wall and turned to a table. You looked in the next open room over and found a kitchen. Nothing came to mind yet. You had no idea where you were and that terrified you. You backed up, hyperventilating. In the midst of trying to calm yourself, you backed into a small table, sending a picture frame that it was sporting crashing to the ground.

            You started to bend down to pick up the photo, but a shuffling noise caused you to jump instead. You spun around to try and locate the source of the sound. A man with dark brown hair in his early 20’s was standing there, looking as confused and frightened as you. You backed away, forgetting about the frame. The man drew closer, his scared face almost gone as if he’d dealt with such a situation before. He opened his mouth to speak, but when the words came out, you couldn’t understand much of it. Although you were Korean American, your parents didn’t have much time to teach you your native tongue. You slowly shook your head, trying your best to tell him that you don’t understand his language. Just as he opened his mouth again, another man spoke from the opposing hallway; he seemed like he could be the same age. His hair was a light blond…and it looked like he hasn’t noticed you yet.

            “Taemin-ah…” The light-haired man grumbled with an Asian accent, rubbing his eyes. He went over to his friend and lifted his hand to fix the younger one’s hair. He seemed like the motherly type to you. The man named Taemin didn’t take his eyes off you as the other approached. “Mueos..?” The man with the blond hair asked. You didn’t speak much Korean, but you knew he just asked what the other was doing.

The older-looking one turned around to see what Taemin was looking at and saw you for the first time. He looked shocked, naturally.

            “I-I’m sorry…” You managed to get out with a shaking voice. You swallowed your fear and continued, hoping that nothing bad would come of this. “I don’t know how I got here…” You tried your best to be as polite as possible. “If you could…just…please…point me to the door..?” You used small hand gestures, hoping to aid them in your own language.

            The man with the blond hair chuckled at your attempts, “It’s over there, but I can speak English as well.”

            “Oh,” You unexpectedly sighed in relief. “Thank goodness.” You weren’t quite sure why you even made such a reaction; maybe because you could understand them; or at least one of them.

            “My name is…” The blond-haired man hesitated a moment before finishing his introduction. “Well, it’s not my real name, but they call me Key.”

            “Key?” You asked, tilting your head, feeling a little better knowing the other stranger’s name. “Like…the things that unlock doors?”

            “Yeah, my real name is Kim Kibum, but Key is fine.” He answered, smiling as though remembering something. He pointed to the man standing behind him. “This is Lee Taemin. He speaks English, but not too well, so don’t ask him too many questions.”

            “Hello, Lee…”

            “No,” Key gave a chuckle. “His last name is Lee; first name Taemin.”

            “Oh, I’m sorry.” You nodded in his direction. Your parents really didn’t teach you anything about Korea… “Hello…Taemin.” He returned the gesticulation with a wary smile.

            Key kept a watchful eye on you. “You said you don’t know how you got here?”

            You could see Taemin behind him watching you as well. “Well,” You shook your head. “I just…It was just morning, then everything went black and I found myself in this room…”

            “Where are you from?” Key asked.

            “Where am I from?” You echoed; confused at why he was even asking you. “We’re in America. Where else would I come—?”

            “This is Korea.” Key spoke bluntly, cutting you off entirely. “This isn’t America.” He watched your face for a reaction.

            “Wh—.” You stood there, feet frozen to the floor from just his words. “That’s…that’s very funny, Key.” You chuckled half-heartily. “Well thought out prank too.” Your smile slipped when you looked up to see Key’s serious expression. “You can’t be serious…” You blenched and struggled to regain your composure. “This is some kind of hidden camera show, right?” You pleaded for an answer that would comfort you. “Right? Key? Please tell me it is.” You started shaking uncontrollably.

            Key’s face fell flat when he saw your reaction. He turned to Taemin and instructed him to do something as you stood there trembling. Key took a small step toward you. “Um, Miss?” You slowly looked up, tears streaming down your cheeks. “I’ll be right back. Taemin will be here if you need anything.”

            You nodded unknowingly, spacing out from the news. Key gave you a small smile before disappearing into the hallway Taemin came from. You stood there, Taemin a few yards away, feeling alone more than ever. Your tears now dried, Taemin walked over to you and placed a blanket over your shoulders. You flinched at his touch, but relaxed when you noticed his good intentions. You looked up at him. “T-thank yo-ou…Taemin…” He nodded, understanding even if he didn’t speak much English.

            As you wrapped the blanket around yourself, Key came back into the room, followed by two other men. The one to his left’s hair was blond to the point of being almost a silver color, while the other’s hair was a light brown like Taemin’s. The silver one grumbled, rubbing at his eyes from the bright light. “Ne, Kibum?”

            Key nudged the silver-haired man in the ribs, forcing him to shut up and look up. As your eyes met, he froze in place; face falling slack. The man turned to Key and spoke quickly in his tongue. Key replied back, pointing over to you and throwing his hands around in “I don’t know” gestures. After the two men seemed contempt with Key, he turned to you to finally give you answers.

            “Sorry,” He said as he shifted to the man with silver-like hair. “This is Kim Jonghyun.”

            “Kim?” You questioned. “You both have the same last name. Are you related?”

            Key bent over in laughter, leaving you confused at what was so funny. “No no no, we’re not.” He stood back up, chuckling. “Kim and Lee are a common last name, that’s all.”

            “Lee?” You asked, tilting your head. You were starting to get comfortable around the four. You weren’t sure why, but they all had a seemingly nice aura. “But only Taemin’s last name is Lee…?”

            Kibum gave a grin. “This is Lee Jinki.” He said, motioning to the last un-introduced man.

            “Last name first,” You said, reminding yourself. “Hello Jinki.”

            The man smiled at you and spoke up. “Onew is fine.”

            You were surprised. “You speak English well?” Onew gave a faint nod.

            “Minho isn’t here.” Key continued. “He should be back tomorrow though.”

            “Minho,” You questioned. “Who’s that?”

            “He’s also lives here.” Jonghyun said.

            “….Where is he?”

            Key looked to the other members for confirmation. Without even asking them, he turned back to you. “I believe he’s finishing up the last scene to his drama, so he’s staying at the set for the night.”

            “Whoa—.” Your mouth dropped. “He’s an actor? Are you all actors?”

            “No,” Onew spoke up; seeming to want to speak instead of Key. “We’re singers.”

            “S-singers…?”

            “Surely you’ve heard of us? We’re shining SHINee.” Key beamed, raising his fist in front of his chest.

            You slowly shook your head, feeling overwhelmed again.

            “By the way,” Key quickly changed the subject. “What’s your name?”

            “My name….?”

            “Yes, your name. What is it?”

            “Oh…um,” You searched your mind for the name you were given, flustered at all that’s happened so far. “My name is Hana. Min Hana, if I say my last name first.”

            “Min Hana?” You heard Taemin and Onew echo.

You nodded numbly. “Y-yes…”

            Onew stepped forward, out from behind Key. “What hotel are you staying at?”

            “Hotel?” Your voice caught. “I’m not staying in a hotel.”

            “Then how did you get here?”

            “I—.”

            “Just tell them what country you’re from.” Key said.

            “A-america.”

            Onew’s eyes widened in surprise. “America?” He turned to Key for confirmation. “America?”

            “Well, she does look Korean American.” Key said. “And she looks a little too scared.”

            Onew turned back to you. “How did you end up in Korea?”

            “I—.” You started, voice turning hoarse. You could feel your cheeks go hot and water brim at the corners of your eyes. You weren’t trying to pull the sheep position, but you couldn’t help it. You always had that helpless girl demeanor, proving the speculations told about how women are weak. That always angered you, but you were always too scared to actually do something about it, ironically. “I’m sorry…” You cleared you throat to get rid of your high pitched voice. “I don’t know…”

            Taemin backed away from you and stood next to Key once again. “Do you have…uh…anywhere to stay?” He asked. He still seemed skeptical of you; but who wouldn’t be? You were surprised that they weren’t kicking you out or calling the cops.

            “Na….no.” You admitted. “Like I said…I was just magically ‘transported’ to this room or something.”

            “Hopefully that’s not the case.” Key joked. “Then we’d have a bunch of fans popping in.” You nodded, understanding.

            From the back, Jonghyun let out a chuckle. “Obviously this girl is joking around.” His words unsettled you. He stepped closer to you and looked you straight in the eyes. His gaze sent a shiver down your spine. You looked at the others for help, but none came. You met Jonghyun’s gaze, feeling your cheeks grow hotter. Seconds later, the man buckled over in laughter. “I’m sorry,” He stood back up, wiping away invisible tears from his eyes. He smiled at you. “You should’ve seen your face. You looked so scared.”

            “How mean, Hyung.” Key whined, slightly amused.

            “O-of course I would be scared!!” You yelled, shocking the four of them. “Me suddenly appearing in some stranger’s home and four guys showing up is a scary thing!” They all looked at each other sympathetically.

            “It’s a little scary,” Taemin said. “Having a girl show up at night in our home...” You nodded, not taking the chance before to even think about how they must’ve felt about this situation.

            “I-I’m sorry.” You paled. “I should go.” You rushed past them and to the door.

            “It’s cold outside.” Jonghyun called out to you.

            You looked back at them, not sure of what to do. You swallowed hard and turned the knob. A cold gust of air drafted into the entrance, sending a chill up your spine. You shivered and quickly shut the door.

Key walked up behind you. “If you don’t have anywhere to stay,” He smiled. “Why not stay here?”

            “Kibum??!” Jonghyun practically exploded. He strode forward and hooked Key by the arm. He pulled him away from you, the other members following, and huddled in a circle. You could hear them whispering as they stood tightly together. Three of them sounded like they were yelling at each other while Taemin swayed there awkwardly. Their voices never rose, no matter how angry they might’ve seemed.

After a moment of discussing with one another, they turned around to face you. Key’s lips stretched to a wide smile. “You can stay if you want!” Jonghyun turned away, as if frustrated.

            “Oh,” You forced a smile. “Thank you…really…but I’m not sure if—.”

            “You’re not going to be able to find a hotel.” Key said.

            “Well—.”

            “Do you have any money?” Onew asked. You shook your head. “Then how would you rent a room?” He continued.

            “I…haven’t thought….that far.”

            “You would have to stay on the streets if you go…” Jonghyun said forcefully.

            “Yeah…” You said, defeated.

            “So…?” Key asked. “What’s your answer?”

            “If…it’s okay with you…” You hesitated, not sure if what you’re about to say is the right answer. “I…I’m grateful.”

            Key smiled, pleased. “Stay as long as you wish.” Jonghyun coughed. Key’s smile deflated as he looked over at the silver-haired man, eyes squinted. Jonghyun threw his hands up and quickly staggered back into his room, giving up on the situation completely for the night. Key looked back over to you. “Don’t mind him. It takes a second for him.”

            “For him to what…?” You asked, but Key just shook his head. Taemin walked up to you and handed you a pillow he pulled out of a nearby closet. “…thank you.” He nodded and retreated back to his room after wishing you a goodnight. Onew bid the same.

            “I’m sorry we don’t have any extra bedrooms.” Key said hastily. “I hope the couch is good enough for you.”

            You smiled graciously. “No, it’s perfect. I’m just glad I have a place to stay for the night.”

            “Are you sure?” Key pushed.

            You nodded and quickly bowed to him, hoping to show your thanks. “I’m very grateful…thank you, Key.”

            He gave an uneasy laugh. “It’s okay. No need for formalities.” He said, tapping your shoulder to have you stand back up. “Oh! I know!” You tilted you head to question him. “I have something for you to look forward to tomorrow.” He continued. “We have a recording at the station. You can come along with us so you don’t have to stay holed up in this place. And since you don’t know Korea, you’d get to see a lot of things on the way there. Sound good?”

            “S-sure…if that’s what you suggest.” You replied, uncertain of what you got yourself in to.

            “Good, we’ll see you in the morning. Get a good rest.”

 

 

 

 

A/N: Hello everyone~
I would just like to apologize for the extra long chapter; espically since it's the first one. O~O'
I typed this out and didn't realize that it was going to be six pages in word. The next chapter won't be as long. :)
I only pushed this into one because it's really just the introduction to the characters and how they will be portrayed in this fic. So expect the chapters that follow to be shorter; unless you want long chapters? If they're longer, though, it'll take longer to post them. 

Thank you for reading!! I hope you enjoy this story and look forward to updates!
I'll try and keep a weekly posting or until I finish a chapter!

Comment and subscribe, please! :D