Sweet Melody

My Lucky Star

           The car ride was nothing less than awkward. You got stuck sandwiched in the back of the van between the maknae and the leader. You even had a rough time trying to get your seatbelt on without touching them. Lucky for you, the two noticed and leaned out of the way long enough for you to click it in place. Unable to hold a decent conversation at the moment, you tried your best to sit as quiet as possible. Starting with Minho about their new album, the discussion picked up on a subject you had no thoughts about. It continued on for another ten minutes—with the occasional singing along to a song that came on the radio—before you finally arrived.

            As the car got closer to the building, you noticed a whole group of girls holding signs, fans, and other items as they sat by the entrance. “Uh-oh,” Key said. “I didn’t think about this.”

 

            “About what,” You asked.

 

“The fans,” Minho answered for him. “When they see you, they’re going to draw conclusions and wonder why you’re with us, since you aren’t a recognizable Noona to them.”

 

“All these girls are here for you…?” You said aloud, but quiet enough for only those close enough to hear.

 

“We can’t walk out there and have her show up online,” Taemin said, leaning forward in his seat toward his hyung’s. “Why don’t we go in through the back?”

 

Onew nodded. “Alright, good idea,” He looked over at the driver. “Don’t stop, jebal. Could you just drive around back?” The driver gave a faint nod and pulled the car into a hidden driveway next to the building.

 

After the driver parked the van by the back door, and the six of you rushed in with the sound of screaming fans only a few yards away from you, you quickly shut the heavy door behind you, letting out a sigh a relief. “You have to do this every day?” You asked, heart beating irregularly fast.

 

“We normally walk through the front doors,” Key spoke in a blunt manner. “But since you were with us, we couldn’t risk it.”

 

“I see…”

 

“There you are!” A voice called out, causing all of you to turn on your heels to the noise. A man not much older approached the six of you, a folder in one hand and headphones in the other. “I’ve been looking all over the studio for you guys.”

 

“We’re sorry we’re late, Sunsengnim,” Onew apologized as he gave a shallow bow. “We were running a little behind.”

 

Key took in a quick breath. “Sunsengnim, this is Min Hana, a…our friend, and we wanted to know if she could sit in on our recording?”

 

“Hello, sir,” You said, unintentionally quiet.

 

The man’s eyes landed on you. “Oh, I see.” He said, seeming to know something you didn’t. “Well, hurry, let’s get to the studio.”

 

After practically rushing to the recording studio to make it on time, the producer ushered all the members into a small room. He took a seat, pulling over another chair for you to take. “Alright,” He leaned forward, pressing a button and speaking into a microphone. “I’m gonna need you guys to sing the chorus together. Think you can get it on the first try?” All five of them held up their thumbs. The producer smiled. “We’ll see, then.”

 

Although they said they’d do perfect the first time—which normally isn’t the case—they were now on the tenth take; due to multiple mishaps from one member, resulting in a bigger train wreck from the rest of them. “You’re doing great guys,” The producer spoke halfheartedly. “But I need a bit more energy.”

 

You could see them already a little worn out from singing the same lines over and over. Onew picked up a water bottle and took multiple swigs. Key and Taemin did the same. Looking through the glass, you gave them a thumbs up, hoping to motivate them even the slightest bit. They nodded back and prepared to record the chorus once more.

 

After a grueling hour and a half of recording the chorus many times, the members were finally allowed out of the recording room and back into the studio. “How’s it sound?” Onew, the first one out, asked you.

 

“It sounds really good,” You admitted. “Though, I thought the first take was really good, too.”

 

“It’s a little hard to point out the flaws in a voice when you’re untrained to find them.” The producer said in his chair behind you.

 

“I’m sure it took you a long time.” You said, spinning in your chair to face him.

 

“Sure as hell did.” He mumbled, taking a sip of his coffee. After quickly snapping out of his reminiscent daze, the producer looked up at the five members. “Alrighty, now all we need to do is record each of your individual parts separately. Jinki, if you could go first…?”

 

Onew nodded and headed back into the cramped room.

 

“You guys must be tired…” You noted, walking over to the sofa where they all plopped down in a huff.

 

“You kinda get used to it.” Taemin said, opening another bottle of water from the cooler beside him. “Sure, it takes hours to make the song, and days—even weeks—to make the album, but it’s all worth it in the end.”

 

“Yeah,” Minho joined in. “We’re just glad to get so much praise from the fans.”

 

“It must feel great,” You said. Everyone nodded in silence. A moment of quietude passed as everyone listened to Onew sing his part over and over. The producer didn’t make them repeat because they sounded bad, it was more along the lines of their voice breaking or a note hit wrong.

 

After Onew finished, Minho went in next. The tired-looking leader took a seat next to you. “Min Hana-ssi,” The sudden –ssi prefix caught you off guard. “I hope this isn’t too boring for you.”

 

“Oh, no,” You waved your hands in front of you. “I’m actually having fun. But, if I can ask, what is this song about?”

 

“This is actually for our Japanese album,” Jonghyun said. That was the first time he’s spoken since you’ve gotten in the building. “It’s called Lucky Star.”

 

“Japanese,” You asked, replaying some of the lyrics in your head. When you thought about it, you actually did recognize some of the words. You never thought Japanese anime would really come in handy when trying to translate a song.

 

“Yeah, it’s a pretty upbeat song.”

 

“Yaaaaaaah,” Kibum groaned, starting everyone upright. “Why don’t we just teach her the lyrics?”

 

“Teach me…?” You tilted your head. Were they actually going to spend their relax time teaching you a song in Japanese?

 

“The whole song?” Taemin asked, putting his water down as he leaned forward.

 

“Well…” Key hesitated a moment, thinking. “No, not the whole song; maybe just the chorus. So,” He looked over at you. “Wanna learn the chorus?”

 

“Would that be okay? I mean, I don’t want to make you guys do more than you need too.” You said hesitantly. In all honesty, you really did want to try and learn the song. Singing in another language was more intriguing to you than your own, but you didn’t want to push these idols farther than their imaginary limit.

 

Jonghyun sighed a little louder than normal. “Well, since Key already brought it up, I guess we really can’t back out now.”

 

“Wow, this is great, thank you guys!” You beamed, excited already.

 

“Slow down there,” Kibum grinned. “We didn’t even start yet.”

 

“Right…ready when you are.”

 

“Alright, so, the lyrics are:

 

Baby You’re my Lucky Star ! 
Kagayake pandora 
Kibō ga saku kokoro no furawā 
Adamu to ibu ga  datta  ni 
Baby Baby Baby Hold you on 
Kimi to mitsukerareru.”

 

            “Think you can handle that?” Onew asked.

 

            You gave a halfhearted chuckle. “So far, I remember the baby,baby, baby part.”

 

            “You’re about halfway there.” Taemin joked.

 

            After spending about fifteen minutes on the chorus, getting lyrics right and wrong left and right, you finally think you’ve got it down pat. “Alright, I think I’m ready.”

 

            “Alright, give it a shot.” Kibum said.

 

            “Wait, by myself?” All the confidence that was in you a just moment ago suddenly drained away. “I—I don’t think I can...by...by myself.”

 

            “Sure you can,” Onew said.

 

“That’s easy for you to say…!” You cried out. “If I were to sing in front of you guys, I’m pretty sure I’d be embarrassed for the rest of my life.”

 

“Then I’ll be your backup.” Jonghyun said.

 

“My backup?”

 

He nodded. “Yeah, so you don’t have to feel so embarrassed.”

 

After a moment of hesitation, you took in a deep breath. “I’ll do my best.” You’re only staying with them temporarily, so why would it matter so much if your voice was horrid to them? Plus, you lived in a different country, so it’s not like they could forever blackmail you. “Here goes…” You took another deep breath, giving Jonghyun a hopeful look before beginning. “Baby, you’re my Lucky Star! Kagayyake pandora,You sang as soft as you could, hoping Jonghyun’s strong voice would overpower yours. Unlucky for you, he was able to sing softer.

 

Giving in to discomfort, you decided to sing a little louder, to which Jonghyun matched your melody. The other members didn’t have an unpleasant look on their faces, nor did they look the least bit uninterested. No, you weren’t the best singer out there—or even a good one—but you weren’t a tone-deaf one either. You were glad you were able to hit the notes. “Kibō ga saku kokoro no furawā Adamu to ibu ga sō data yō ni Baby, baby, baby Hold you on Kimi to mitsukerareru.” You sang, ending the chorus.

 

“Woooooowww~” Taemin sing-songed pleasantly. “That was good!”

 

“You said you weren’t good.” Key accused you.

 

“Well…” You blushed, smiling.

 

“Congratulations,” Taemin cheered.

 

You laughed along with him. “What do I win?”

 

“An all expense paid stay at SHINee’s dorm!”

 

“Sounds like a fair prize,” You said jokingly as you tapped your chin in thought.

 

“Sorry to interrupt your sing circle time,” The producer cut off the laughs. “But it’s your turn, Jonghyun.”

 

 

 

A/N:

Hello, everyone. I'm soooo sorry for such a late update. I've been sick for the past three weeks and to be honest, it .
I finally decided to go to the doctor today and got medication, so hopefully, I'll feel better soon.
To make it worse, I was on vacation all last week...I thought I was getting better..guess not.

Whoops, sorry for boring you. Hope you enjoyed the chapter and thanks to all my loyal subscribers. I love you guysss~
Again, soooo sorry for the ultra late update. I'll try and stay on task more often than usual. Thanks!