FAMILY & BLOOD TIES

Monday (MonGae) Couple

Seollal (Korean Lunar New Year) is around the corner and Ji Hyo and Gary decides to do some shopping and buy stuffs to celebrate with their respective families. They are pushing the shopping cart together standing side by side smiling at each other and discussing what to buy.

When both of them are strolling, they are thinking about their families.

Ji Hyo narrates: I want to make my family happy and be a good and filial daughter. Even though I was not born in a silver spoon in my mouth, my parents gave me everything they had to raise me and love me. There were always food on the table; meals were delicious and simple – cooked with mother’s love. When you feel sad and lost there was warm hands to hold you and arms to keep you warm and comforted – filled with father’s sincere love. The reality of life has made me stronger and more appreciative of what I have. The sacrifice that I have made for them and the sacrifice that they had made for me makes me feels a little better living in this hard life.

Gary narrates: Being a rebellious kid and a man with big dreams. I had made lots of mistakes that cannot be corrected and countless regrets over the prime of my life. Being a trouble maker, my parents always worry about me and kneel down for me and ask for forgiveness for the mistakes I did. Either I was born with a really bad luck or life is just plain cruel, darkness raised me more than my parents ever could and pain and poverty – the only thing I had was my dream and nothing else; had taught me more than anything ever could. Parents will always forgive their child no matter how big their faults are but the wounds that were inflicted will take forever to heal completely.

While they were still walking and strolling, there was an event happening in conjunction with Seollal. Suddenly the MC of the event picked both of them to participate. The theme of the first game is telepathy that will test on the couple’s understanding.

Gary will explain and Ji Hyo will guess the word. Both of them remembered episode 90 of running man, where they played the telepathy game on the Viking.

[Flashback]

In episode 90, when the Monday Couple was awkward with each other when the news of Ji Hyo dating broke, Gary really thought that Monday Couple is really going to end. He kept his distance and also never really said any cheesy lines when they were very awkward inside the car because he was scared that she will be uncomfortable. Then he decides to treat her to ease the awkwardness.

Gary narrates: Do you feel like the way I do right now? I wish I would just give up because the best part is falling – Monday Couple. Calling it anything but love, I will make sure to keep my distance. Say I love you when you are not listening. How long can I keep this up? Please don’t stand so close to me, I am having trouble breathing. I will keep waiting for you to take me; I will keep waiting to say that you will.

[Flashback End]

 

They won the first round of the couple game and the winning prize was couple ring and couple t-shirt.

The next game is about love and family, it will test on the couple’s intimacy and by coincidence is the pepero game.

Both of them laugh at each other.

“We have done this so many times. Let’s win this second round” Gary said to Ji Hyo.

She gave a cute O.K that makes Gary’s heart melts.

Surprisingly all the couples that participate were good and when it was their turn, Gary was actually nervous. Ji Hyo giggled looking at him.

“Let’s just have fun.” she said to him.

“Let me enjoy this moment. I can’t even remember when was the last time is kissed you. I must fully make use of this opportunity.” he said naughtily.

“Oppa!” she said punching his chest and blushing.

“You want the chocolate end or the non-chocolate end?”

“I want the non-chocolate end!”

They start and Gary started biting and eating the biscuit and slowly approaching Ji Hyo. When he got closer he cupped her face and slanted his face to the side. Ji Hyo was blushing and her ears were red. Gary could feel the hotness of her face in his palms. Gary paused and smirked before taking the last big bite, making both of their lips stick and glued to each other. Ji Hyo felt her heart is exploding and she took the last bite and catch her breath – she couldn’t breathe when Gary was approaching her and Gary caught the crumbs in his hands.

The MC gave a mischievous to both of them making them feel embarrassed.

“We could not measure the length because all that was left was crumbs. That must be a heck of a kiss both of you had there.” the MC announced.

Since that all of the results were a close call, so they picked the best three couples in winning this round. Gary and Ji Hyo got the baby basket – a basket filled with baby clothes and toys.

“We don’t need it; I think we should give it to Haha.” Gary suggested.

“What do you mean we don’t need it? We will need it soon, in the future when we have a baby.” she said while smiling and looking at all the stuff in the basket.

“A baby???” said Gary looking surprised and the statement took him off guard.

“Why are you looking so surprised? You don’t want to marry me and have a baby with me?” she said feeling dejected.

Gary sensed that she was a little hurt by how he reacted, so he changed the topic.

“Is that a proposal? Are you indirectly asking me to marry you? Do you want to marry me so bad?” he playfully and cutely swinging his arms.

“Oh please, I have so many people that want to marry me and now I am enjoying a celibate life. I wouldn’t want to end it anytime soon.” she said half-heartedly.

Before they could continue the conversation, it’s time for the third and final game. The theme for the final game is marriage and longevity.

They have to finish a bowl of long thread rice noodle and change into the traditional Korean costume like a newlywed couple then runs to the platform with other couples and fight to get theirs face taken by the camera. The couple with the fastest time and best picture wins.

Immediately when the MC blows the whistle, it was chaos between the couples. Ji Hyo was practically inhaling the food and Gary just shoved it inside his mouth and swallows it without even chewing it.

Then they reached the second part within minutes. They went in separately to the small mini tent to change their clothes. Gary pull up the pants, shoes and wear the clothes without tying the knot because he thought he can tie it while walking and immediately ran to the stage. Ji Hyo came out without wearing her shoes and her flower headband. Gary helped her with her shoes and people are starting to run towards the stage and pushing each other to get the best spot. He tied her flower headband for her and she tied his clothes for him.

With everyone pushing Gary stood behind Ji Hyo and protects her by hugging her from behind so she won’t be pushed around or fall.

Then the MC announced that the camera will click in 10 sec and it will take 10 shots. Everyone starts jumping and pushing. Finally the chaos was over.

They announced the winner will get a plane ticket to Jejudo. Gary and Ji Hyo didn’t win but they get a picture of them wearing the traditional clothes like a newlywed couple as a consolation prize.

“I want this picture. You can keep the rest.” he said looking and smiling at the picture.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gary insists on sending Ji Hyo home – her hometown Po Hang. He helped her to carry the stuff to the kitchen table and greeted her parents and siblings.

Ji Hyo sends him out and bid goodbyes.

“Drive safe. Text me when you get home.” she said giving a peck on his cheek.

Her mother saw that and sighed.

Ji Hyo took a hot shower and head downstairs to help her mum prepare the side dishes for New Year and prepping the ingredients for the big day.

“Do you love him?” her mum asked and it caught her off guard.

She knew that this question is going to pop up but it’s just that she did not expect it to be this early.

“Yes.” she answered firmly.

“Enough to give up and lose everything to be with him?” questioned her mum with a dull tone.

“Yes.” she answered firmly again.

“Ji Hyo-ya, my daughter. Love is not an easy thing. There are so many things to consider. Judging by how fast and confident you answered me. I am not sure that you ready to face the other side of love.”

“Omma~”

“I want you to be happy regardless who that person is. Even when you dated Chang Joo-shi, we supported you despite his past and he was sincere towards you.”

“But I was not sincere towards him.”

“I wish you could reconsider. Love is not only two people loving each other. You need to be able to survive and live in order to love. Chang Joo-shi is not a bad person; he is just someone that loves you dearly and someone that I feel can be your shelter in this cruel and materialistic world and society – as your mother.”

“But…” before she could defend herself.

“I invited Chang Joo-shi for dinner on New Year’s Day meal. He is a very lonely person, with no sibling and his mother passed away when he was young. His father is a very busy man that doesn’t really pay attention to him. I believe that you will be the one to have a happy family with him so that he will not be lonely again and can feel the warmth and affections of a family.” she cut her off.

Feeling betrayed and confused, she left the kitchen to have a walk around the neighborhood to calm her mind.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After sending Ji Hyo home, he goes back to his hometown - Busan. It’s been a while since he went back.

“Grandma~~~.” he called with the biggest smile he can offer.

“Hee Gun-ah~~~” his grandma call him sweetly.

“I bought lots of your favorite food and I miss you so much.” hugging her tightly and warmly.

After he went to see his grandma in her room, he went to the kitchen to put all the stuff that he bought in the fridge. His mother was at the sink washing plates that will be used for the New Year’s Day meal; he gave his mum a warm and cute back hug.

“Omma~ Bogoshipda~~” he said sweetly.

“Aish~ it’s embarrassing. Stop it.” said his mum breaking away from the back hug.

Later he went to the living room to see his dad. His dad was reading some Korean history book. He had a light chat with him and went up to his room to take a warm bath and slept.  He was woken up by his niece and nephew. He goes down carrying both and greeted his brother and sister-in-law.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally it is the morning of Seollal and all the ancestral rite and food is done and prepared. Gary and Ji Hyo’s family is all dressed up in Hanbok. Once set, the rite begins with deep bows as greetings to the ancestor spirits, and proceeds with offerings and prayers.Following the rite, everyone eats the ritual food.

Later that evening, Chang Joo-shi came and had dinner with them. Ji Hyo was just going with the flow and tries not to spoil the mood. She was really cold towards him.

“How can he be so shameless coming to my house and have dinner with my family after all the things he done to me?” she said in her mind.

When dinner was over, he wants to have a walk with Ji Hyo to his car. She was reluctant but agreed to it in the end.

“Am I going to see an article about us if I wake up tomorrow morning?” she mocked him.

“No. Now you mention it, I think maybe I should publish one.”

Ji Hyo got really angry and starts to walk back. He grabs her hand tightly to stop her.

“Don’t challenge me. My patience is reaching the limit and I am not done talking to you.”

“I am hurting, let go of my hand.”

“Do you know why your mum likes me?” he asked her and pauses.

Now to think of it, her mum is on his side despite knowing that the person she loves is Kang Gary.

“Because to her I am a sweet son-in-law that helped her gets out of debt and someone that loves her daughter very much.” he said shamelessly.

“What she did not know is, I helped her so that you will not be able to run away from me. The amount of debt is not small. If you leave me, your mum might have to go to jail. This is a warning. I am really scared that you will drift away from me soon. This is just a precaution, I am sure you will know what to do.”

“To make you leave the one you love is to grab hold of the one you love.”

He got in the car and drove away. Slowly everything starts to make sense and tears starting to form and flow.

Her mum got into some investments and got into a big debt. Chang Joo offered to help her mum with a motive, not with a sincere heart. He knows that Ji Hyo will do everything to not make her family worry – especially her dad. He will do everything to force her on marrying him. The only way to prevent her mum from going to jail and her family from poverty is to marry Baek Chang Joo.

She thought to herself. She wipes off her tears before going back to the house.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HaHa and Byul are planning to have a couple vacation. So she asked Ji Hyo for a favor to babysit Dream – their son because HaHa’s mum will only be available on Wednesday but HaHa and Byul’s flight is on Tuesday.

“Ji Hyo-ya, please~~~” Byul pleaded.

“Araso! Haiz~~~” Ji Hyo reluctantly agreed.

She called Gary to cancel their date due to Byul’s sudden favor but Gary offered to tag in to baby sit baby Dream.

“Ji Hyo-ya~ How to take off the diaper???” looking lost and clueless.

“Like this.” she showed him and she giggled because he look fascinated like a kid learning new things.

Ji Hyo was pacing around and feeding Dream Milk and patting him. Gary just follows behind her pacing around and looking at her and the baby.

“Wan to try feeding him milk?”

“I don’t think I can.”

“Come on. I will guide you.”

She passed the baby slowly to Gary and Gary was really awkward with it but finally he bonded with the baby.

They looked like a married couple taking care of their son.

Dream finally fell asleep. Gary and Ji Hyo were totally exhausted taking care of the baby. Both of them lie on the mat side by side staring at the ceiling enjoying the silence. Gary took Ji Hyo’s hand and squeezes it and Ji Hyo did the same.

“You have worked hard today.” he said looking at the ceiling.

“Thank you. You too.” she replied looking at the ceiling.

Still holding her hand lovingly with fingers intertwined, he pulled her closer and let her head rest on his arms. She snuggled closer to him.

“You must be really tired. Why don’t you sleep, I will get up if Dream starts crying or wants milk later.” she said to him while patting him to sleep like she patted Dream to sleep.

“Even though it’s tiring but I am feeling happy and blessed, there is this feeling I can’t explain.” he mumbled.

 “Me too. It’s like a sweet feeling that cannot be explained.” she looked up at him and saw he is starting to sleep.

“Kang Hee Gun. Saranghaeyo. Forever.” she said softly and a tear stream down from her cheeks.

Then he suddenly turns to hug her tightly.

“Cheon Song Im, listen carefully. I want have a family with you. You should not be dejected on how I responded on having a baby because I have never thought of it before but after I loved you, after this moment. I want you to be my wife and I want a baby like Dream with you. I want this feeling that I am feeling right now to last. I know there is a lot for you to give up to have all this, but I promise I will make enough for both of us and our baby and live happily. I want to be the father of your child and no one else other than you will be the mother of my child – no one but you.” he paused.

“My dearly beloved Cheon Song Im. Will you marry me?”