THE GIRL WHO CAN’T BREAK UP, THE BOY WHO CAN’T LEAVE

Monday (MonGae) Couple

Ji Hyo stood there baffled, feeling betrayed and agitated, looking at hundreds of photographers taking pictures, reporters shooting questions and journalist on their laptops posting articles – all at the same time. Everything is moving so fast and stuff happening in all one shot, in one room and in one minute – marriage announcement to the world. Something that she never knew, that is dragged into and never agreed to – never will.

She wanted to open and scream everything, she looks at Chang Jo-shi and he didn’t even flinched or worried that how she is taking in about this matter. He grabs her hand and squeezes it, while the MC of the press conference calms the crowd down.

“Compose yourself, smile for the camera and please look like a happy bride-to-be.”

Ji Hyo cringed at his remarks and tone.

“That is what the whole world and you think I should look like – a happy bride-to-be, but I am not” she said in her thoughts, feeling sad, angry, confused and of course she feels like cursing.

The crowd finally calms down, Ji Hyo and Chang Joo is seated down with few other representatives. The MC announced it is time for questions.

“Photos were taken and apparently it looks like Kang Gary-shi and Song Ji Hyo-shi appeared to be hugging each other? It looks like they are more than just friends. Can you please explain.” said by a reporter.

“They have mentioned this many times before that the Running Man members are like family and they care for each other very much.” Chang Joo-shi answered with ease.

“How is the preparation for the wedding going? Is the date has been set? Has both of the family met?” another reporter asked.

“This press conference is held to clear the scandal between Song Ji Hyo-shi and Kang Gary-shi” Chang Joo answered.

“Song Ji Hyo-shi will not be renewing the contract with C-Jes Entertainment, so does it mean she will be a homemaker or continue her career with another agency?” the third reporter asked.

“Her contract has not expired and will only expire in the next five to six months so it is still early to tell what is going to happen” answered Chang Joo looking and smiling to Ji Hyo.

Ji Hyo smiled to him back as if to show she agrees with everything he said.

Chang Jo-shi finally signals the MC to end the press conference.

While Ji Hyo, Chang Jo and the representative leave all the reporters, journalist and photographers continue their work.

Stomping out from the conference room along the corridor to the meeting room, Ji Hyo meets her manager along the way and apparently she also doesn’t know about the marriage announcement – up till a few minutes ago.

“What are you planning to do?” her manager asked with concerned and worried look.

“I am going to ask for an explanation for this hiatus he created!” said Ji Hyo angrily.

Finally she reached the meeting room and she is pacing around the room while waiting for Chang Joo. He is taking his time to walk calmly to the meeting room before he could even close the door.

“What do you think you are doing???!!!” Ji Hyo asked angrily screaming her lungs out.

He didn’t flinched or looked surprise as if he was already expecting this. He took a seat on the chair that was the nearest to where Ji Hyo was standing.

“Did you know why did I suggest covering our break up with a fake dating statement?” he replied her with a question instead of an answer.

“ . . .” Ji Hyo was speechless and she looks as if she is slowly connecting the dots of all the things had happen between her and Chang Joo.

“Because I love you and do you know why? Because you believed in me and forgave me when the world doubted and condemned me. You loved me when I thought no one else could and when I thought I had to right to love – just when I was about to gave up on loving another person… “ he trailed off.

“You came into my life and prove all of that wrong” he said it with a tinge of gratefulness on what she did for him.

“So you decide to make a scandal and release it to the press???” she said in disbelief and disgust in her eyes

“Yes. I even hired a private investigator to keep tabs on how you are doing. If I can’t take care of you closely at least I am glad that I am taking care of you even though you are far away and belongs to someone else – Kang Gary” he added shamelessly.

“So you got it all planned all along???” she said looking really shocked.

“Remember the first time we meet at an event a month before you signed the contract with C-Jes? That time you did not even know who I was and thought I was someone’s manager? You were struggling that time with your current agency. I fell in love with your beauty at first but then with your character. I wanted your number and you would not give it to me” he said with a sincere smile on his face.

“After you found out that I was the CEO of C-Jes Entertainment, you started to show interest towards me and we became friends. Finally you signed a 3-year contract with me in 1st July 2011. Then the next few months we had gotten closer and started dating secretly for a year. One night you called me to go to your house and take a walk at a nearby park. That time I thought you wanted to make our relationship public but I was wrong – you wanted a breakup.” he said and when he was about to continue.

“You hired a photographer to take our picture walking together and then tricked me in to agreeing to keep our breakup a secret so that you can create a hiatus like today” she cut him off.

“You are right and here we are right now a year after a fake breakup… to a fake marriage” he finished explaining and gave her a smirk.

“I regretted letting you participate on that show. If I did not allow you to go, all of this would not have happened. I thought you were only shaken at first but eventually it became love. I tried to love you more, pamper you, shower you with gifts and give you everything that the person cannot give but it was to no avail.” he said looking pissed.

“Love can’t be earned. You can’t get love by wanting it – my love”. said Ji Hyo softly but firmly.

“We can’t win against our own greed, Ji Hyo-ya. Even you” he remarks.

“I know.” she said feeling sorry and paused.

“When I found out that you are the CEO of C-Jes I wanted to approach you for the contract but later I realized that money is nothing and there more valuable things in life that are priceless. That’s why I wanted to breakup with you to stop lying to you and myself thinking that I love you – and stop lying to myself that I don’t love Kang Gary when I do.” she explained.“I guess Kang Gary made you realized that” he said with anger in his eyes.

“You can keep on doing whatever you want but I will never stop loving him and give up on him” she said firmly with determination.

“We will see about that” he said leaving the room.

Ji Hyo sat there and massaging her head because she was overwhelmed by everything that has happened. Then her manager walked in the room hurriedly.

“Ji Hyo-ya, gwenchana???” her manager asked looking worried.

“Where is my car key?” she asked her manager.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Upon hearing the press conference, Gary quickly rushed to her company without knowing why, what to do or what he will do. Maybe that’s love, making you do things crazily and with no reason what so ever. He just felt that he needed to be there – even though it will cause more chaos.

“Where do you think you are going?!” the manager said loudly trying to stop him by grabbing his car key away from him.

“You know where I am going! I am not going to leave her alone!” he said firmly.

“Are you crazy? You have gone insane. Your album is going to be released in a few days!” says his manager with frustration.

“Yes, I am and I bloody care about her more than the damn album. I have made a mistake once – his ex-girlfriend and I am not going to repeat it.” he said angrily.

Grabbing his car key from his manager, he stomps out of the studio.

He reached the underground car park of the building and tried to call Ji Hyo while he walks out of the car but no answer. He calls her again a few times finally she answered.

Ji Hyo was on the way to the car park when her phone rang but there are so many people and so noisy she rushed and walked faster to the car park where it is quiet. Finally she reached the car park and of course the call was from Gary.

She took a deep breath and answered it while walking to her car. There was no one at the underground car park because it’s like 10 am in the morning and all the people are going crazy because of the press conference.

“Ji Hyo-ya~ gwenchana?” he asked with full concern.

“Dae, nan gwenchanayo, Oppa” trying to keep her voice as normal as possible.

When she was answering that, she was walking nearer to Gary and before she could continue the conversation. Gary walked towards her and pulled almost as if carrying her to his car. Everything happened so fast, she is in her ‘mong’ state of mind. He took her phone and his phone and removed the batteries and kept it inside the compartment – the dashboard of the car.

Gary starts the engine and starts driving. Both of them don’t know what to say to each other. After a long silent drive, Ji Hyo decides to break the silence.

“Oppa, where are we going?” she asked with great curiosity.

“Somewhere.” he said flatly without looking at her and expressionless.

He stops at the rest area and to buy some food for Ji Hyo and a cup warm Americano. He is quiet the whole time and Ji Hyo keeps wondering what is he thinking or is he angry? She tried to offer food by trying to feed him kimpab.

“You eat. Oppa is not hungry” he rejected her gesture flatly without looking at her and remains expressionless.

After she finished her lunch, she started to feel sleepy but she can’t sleep because there too many things going around her mind.

That did not go unnoticed by Gary.

“Try to sleep Ji Hyo-ya, there is still a long way to reach the destination” he said, again without looking at her and still expressionless.

When she woke up in the car, Gary was not beside her and looking in front there is the sea, the waves hitting the shore and when she opened the door the cold winter wind blows hard making her hair fly everywhere. There she noticed Gary sitting on the sand looking at the sea – expressionless.

She slowly walked towards him and seated beside him. They looked at the sea with complete silence and they were not thinking anything. They were just enjoying each other’s company and peace in their mind while the beautiful winter sun sets slowly.

After a while, Ji Hyo stood up and starts running around Gary.

“Oppa, just don’t sit there its cold. Let’s run around. Try and catch me if you can!” showing her tongue out, teasing and challenging Gary.

Gary looking at her smiling, laughing and teasing him. He stood up and started chasing her, playing with the waves – running forward and backwards and finally he caught her.

“I am the person that truly loves you, I am someone who sees the pain in your eyes while the world still believes in your smile that is on your face” he comforts her.

“I know. I am glad to have someone that truly loves me and because of that I am going to be strong for that person” she comforts him back.

It was night time already and it’s too late to drive back to Seoul. Ji Hyo also worried that Gary will be too tired to drive back and also dangerous. So they have decided to stay in Busan for the night. They decide to stay at a small inn nearby owned by an old couple because staying at a hotel might cause more trouble.

“Annyeonghaseho, halmeonim. Is there any room available?” she asked politely.

“Yes, there is.” the grandma replied warmly.

“Two rooms please” she said.

“One room is cleaned up, but the other not yet cleaned because the customer just left but I will clean it right up” replied the grandma with a smile.

Looking at the time and the cold night Gary feels bad for that old couple.

“Gwenchana, halmonim. One room is enough.” said Gary.

Ji Hyo was taken off-guard by that answer but did not say anything and only complies.

They entered their room and Gary offered to buy some snacks because she did not eat much during dinner just now.

He helped her to set the bed first and went out but forgets his wallet. He goes back to retrieve his wallet but hears Ji Hyo crying silently and softly in the bathroom on the floor hugging her knees.

The door was not locked but slightly open – because Ji Hyo wanted to cry and release everything but doesn’t want Gary to know to make him worry and to stop crying when Gary comes back.

He kneels down beside her and gently draws her into a hug, letting the tears fall where they may.

“I am so sorry, Ji Hyo-ya. I am really sorry.” he repeats over and over again making her sob even louder.

He hugged her the whole night and she sobbed until she fell asleep in his arms. After she fell asleep, he carried her from the toilet to the bed, placed a kiss on her forehead and sat next to her holding her hand – he didn’t sleep a wink that night.

Gary narrates: She is the person I want meet again when I am reborn. A love, I could never get enough of – maybe never will. Looking at her sleeping so peacefully makes me feel less guilty.

Ji Hyo wakes up looking at Gary dozing and nodding beside her – his hand still holding on to hers and she chuckled because he looks so cute – like a Stupid Ondal taking care of his Princess Pyongyang.

Gary flinched by the sound of her laughter and looks aimlessly around.

“Oh, you are awake~!?” said Gary with a half-asleep frown face.

That made Ji-Hyo chuckled again.

 He rubbed his eyes and with a concern look.

“Did you sleep well last night?” he asked.

“Yes, thank you for last night” she said with a smile with her eyes swollen and hoarse voice – resulted from the crying.

“How many times did I tell you not to cry alone?” he asks with half-serious tone and a deep concern gaze.

“Many times already but I never did cry alone because you always caught me and be by my side like last night” she answered honestly.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They walked the morning market and had a hearty breakfast meal and decide to walk hand in hand at the beach and enjoy the morning sun before driving back to Seoul.

“Lots of things cross my mind last night but one thing stuck me hard. That is ‘Ji Hyo, the girl who can break up, Gary the boy who can’t leave’. Ji Hyo blurted out and paused

What she said surprised Gary and he stop his track and waited Ji Hyo to continue.

“Not being able to break up with you after all the things I made you go through. And you not being able to leave someone terrible like me.” she said while looking at the sea.

“You are wrong.” he said firmly and paused

“It is happening between you and him – Baek Chang Joo and it happened between me and her – Lee Yura. You have been trying to break up with him for a year now but he is not leaving you. As for me and her it’s all in the past” he continued.

“But it is not happening and never will happen between us.” he firmly finishes his sentence.

He gently draws her closer to him and hugged her tightly. Both of them didn’t shed tears both of them will be strong for each other. Gary broke the hug and cupped her face with his hands. Slowly leaning in to kiss her – it was a slow, soft, warm and loving kiss on a normal winter day.

“Saranghae.” he said lovingly.

“Saranghae.” she replied to him with a smile.

Then they drove from Busan that morning and reached Seoul around evening. Gary drops Ji Hyo at her manager house because too much reporters at her house. Gary went to Gil’s place and slept the whole day till the next morning.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gary was busy releasing his album and not much promotion was done. Ji Hyo was back to filming “Emergency Couple”.

 

[Flashback]

They are recording for the album Alsurabalbalta and the track Remembrance.

“Why don’t we add something before the raps starts? It definitely will sound better if there is singing before the rap starts.” Gil suggested to Gary.

“Yes. Yes. I think I will sound better.” Ji Hyo agreed with Gil.

“Okay! Ji Hyo” he said while pushing her to the recording room and putting the earphones around her and makes her stands in front of the mike then he ran out and closed the door leaving Ji Hyo stunned.

“Uh~? What am I suppose to do?” she said looking blurred.

Gary sat down and spoke through the mike.

“Say our name or something or hum a tune or do aegyo voice” he suggested.

The song started and Ji Hyo just blurted whatever was in her mind and whatever she could think of.

Gaelly Gilly 난(nan) 네(ne)~

Translation: Gary, Gil and it’s me~

She said with her aegyo voice playfully.

[End of flashback]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The reason that Ji Hyo wanted Gary to do a cameo is because Gary always brings her to the studio, ask her opinion, to know how is his working environment and how does it feels like to produce music. Now she wanted to let him know how her working environment is and how does it feels like to act.

 

[Flashback]

“I can’t do it and I won’t do it!” Gary refuses.

“I sang for you even I could not sing in your song” she claimed

“You didn’t even sing. You just said a few words. I really can’t act.” he counters

“I am asking you to do a cameo. I am not asking you to act. Cameo is just saying a few words” she points out.

“Oppa! Please~~~” she said with aegyo voice and showing her puppy eyes.

“Ji Hyo-ya stop! My heart is melting.” he said clutching his chest.

She was about to launch another aegyo attack on him and before she could.

“Araso! I will do it~” he surrenders.

“Yay! Kang Gary K.O~ Heheheh.” she said it while giggling.

[End of Flashback]

 

Gary made the cameo – he was nervous and scared that he will forgets his lines . Gary was not the type that does what others tells him to do, he just do what he wants and what he feels right but for Ji Hyo – because it’s Ji Hyo he promises he will do it for her and will try his outmost best.

The scene is Ji Hyo was drunk and Gary is the designated driver to send her home.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Baek Chang Joo was busy with the company. Suddenly his secretary walks in and updates him with Song Ji Hyo whereabouts and he saw the last picture – the kiss on the beach. There was anger in his face.

“Kang Gary, I will make you leave her. Song Ji Hyo, the person you should break up with is him.” he shouted and tearing the pictures into pieces.