`02

When Fate Acts Against You

Hardships

Featured Song: G.Na - I'll Back Off So You Can Live Better


The next day, Hyunjae went to work later than usual. She did not feel like getting up in the morning, and decided to sleep in after all the heartbreaking drama she went through the day before.

She sat down at her chair. It was supposed to be comfortable but no, it totally felt different. Coldness, was all she felt in the air conditioned room despite the blazer she was wearing. She switched on the computer, and the first thing she saw was a picture she took with Luhan a while back. They both wore a beautiful, genuine smile on their faces. 

​Who would expect things to change completely in a matter of time? Hyunjae never saw it coming. 

Snapping out of her daze, she clicked on one of the work files and realised that her customised cursor was a heart with Luhan's name. Sighing, she changed it back to the default cursor and changed her desktop background as well. She wanted to delete all of the pictures and get on with life, but could not bring herself to do so. She loved him too much.

Hyunjae missed the times when Luhan would visit her in her office. Sometimes he would bring lunch for the both of them. She especially missed the times when he would massage her shoulders, asking if work was stressing her out. Who am I kidding? Damn, she missed everything about Luhan.

Suddenly, Secretary Jang bursted into the room, shocking Hyunjae.

"Yes, unnie?" Hyunjae asked politely, while standing up to greet Secretary Jang, whom she preferred to call - Ella. She gestured for Ella to sit on the couch and they had a talk.

"Aw, you poor thing." Ella cupped her dongsaeng's expressionless face. "I've heard of everything and I'm so sorry about it." She pulled Hyunjae into a warm hug.

"It's okay unnie. It's not your fault anyway. It's mine. I chose to give it all up, thinking I can survive it. But guess what? I couldn't."

"That Mr Kwon is also too much. How can he ruin your relationship like that? If I were him, all I want is for you to be happy."

Hyunjae nodded and hugged her once again. This is why she chose Ella over her parents. Her parents would always be her parents. Only caring about work, work, work, and money. Not her feelings. Ella is far different, always willing to listen to her worries, she was like a family member. Sadly, that did not happen.

"I really love him, unnie, but he's not coming back, ever." Hyunjae cried in Ella's arms.

"What's done is done. Just be happy, I'm sure that's what he wants too. However, if he does come back, would you still accept him?"

"I don't know, unnie, I really don't know."

- - -

Luhan checked himself out in the mirror. 

"Dashing." He complimented himself.

He has planned to make a surprise visit to Hyunjae's office. Yes, he was not going to give up easily. That was most definitely not his style. With a smile on his face, he left the house and got into his car. He started the engine and drove off to the office building.

He walked into the lift and pressed the button with the number 7 on it. He looked at the roses in his hand.

'Please accept my heart once again, Kwon Hyunjae. I'm not letting our relationship end right now.' He thought.

Walking past the many doors on that level, he finally arrived at the one with the words 'Kwon Hyunjae' in silver on it. After a few knocks, he heard her weary voice. 

"Come in."

Slowly taking in a deep breath, he twisted the door knob and entered the room.

"Hold on unnie, I'll be done with this paperwork in a while. Please take a seat first." Hyunjae said, eyes still focused on the documents.

"That's insulting, Hyunjae. I'm pretty sure I'm a boy." He chuckled and placed the bouquet of roses on her table,

Hyunjae looked up only to find Luhan standing in front of her. A frown formed on her face as she stood up.

"What are you doing here? I thought I told you not to look for me again?"

"Come on Jae, we've been dating for so long! Are you serious about ending it here?" Luhan questioned, looking straight into her eyes.

"How many times do I have to repeat this! Yes, I'm serious about ending out relationship! Now get out!" Hyunjae screamed.

Luhan smiled bitterly before leaving the room. He didn't want to anger her further.

Ella, who was standing by the door the whole time, had her eyes wide open.

"Get your senses together! Have you forgot what we talked about? Go after him, like you said, you still love him right?" Ella exclaimed.

After pondering for a moment, Hyunjae ran to grab her coat from her chair. Ella was right. No one's going to stop her from loving Luhan. Nobody. Soon, she was out of the office and running after Luhan.

- - -

Along the way, she met her father and stopped to greet him.

"I'm proud of you Hyunjae. Finally, you came to your senses and gave up on that Luhan." He smiled widely.

"That's where you're wrong. Who said I was giving up on him? It's time I take responsibility for my own decisions, appa. Don't try to control me anymore." She stated firmly. "Bye! I'm going!"

She was freaking out in the elevator, silently praying that Luhan was still somewhere near the building. After rushing out of the elevator, she saw Luhan making his way to his car.

Mustering up her courage, she called out his name.

"Luhan! Hold on!"

He turned around in surprise and Hyunjae ran up to him before engulfing him in a warm hug. It had only been a day since they broke up, but she already started to regret her decision.

"I'm so sorry, Luhan. I thought I could live without you but turns out, I was wrong. Please forgive me and my foolishness." 

Luhan smiled lovingly as he caressed her long wavy hair. "Everything's fine now, Jae."

"I lo-"

Suddenly, they heard loud noises and everything went pitch black. It all happened too fast for anyone to register. If only they weren't in the middle of the road.

- - -

Hyunjae woke up in an unfamiliar place. It didn't look anything familiar to her. Quickly, she got up, only to feel a sharp pain on her left arm.

"Ah! It hurts!" She yelped in pain and her parents rushed into the hospital room.

"Doctor! We need help here! My daughter's in pain!" Mrs Kwon shouted and the doctor arrived, accompanied by a few nurses.

After injecting the medicine into her body, the pain subsided and Hyunjae calmed down. The doctor took his leave soon after.

"Mom, what happened? Why am I in the hospital?"

"You met with an accident, Hyunjae, but don't you worry. You're fine, except that you fractured your left arm."

Hyunjae tried to recall scenes of what happened during the day, and remembered that she was with Luhan last before everything went black. Luhan.

"Luhan! Where is Luhan? Is he okay?" 

"Luhan, it's always about that punk. I thought you already gave up on him?" Mr Kwon became angry at the sound of Hyunjae's words.

"You still don't understand me, don't you? Please take your leave, I would like to be alone." 

Mr Kwon wanted to continue to protest, but Mrs Kwon stopped him and the both of them made their way out of the hospital room. Leaving Hyunjae, alone, with tears streaming down her face.

'It's all my fault Lu, please, I pray you're still okay.' Soon, the medicine performed it's usual 'magic' and Hyunjae fell asleep.

- - -

A few hours later, she woke up from her slumber and found Ella, asleep on the couch in the room.

"Unnie? What are you doing here?" Hyunjae inquired.

"You're awake. Finally. How are you feeling?"

"Energetic? I guess?" She shrugged her shoulders.

"Energetic enough to see Luhan?"

Hyunjae's eyes lit up and she nodded excitedly, a smile plastered over her face. After helping her into the wheelchair, Ella brought her to Luhan's hospital room.

After a knock, they entered the room while Luhan slowly got up with the help of his Secretary, Mr Kim.

"Hey Lu, are you doing alright?" Hyunjae asked worriedly, as she weakly reached out to cup his face.

Luhan stared at her, confusion written all over his face. He turned to face Secretary Kim before he spoke.

"Hyung, why did she call me Lu?"

"Who is she?"

- - -

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Poor Luhan, dealing with so many things at once. :( So uhm...any feels yet? LOL. Hope you liked this chapter! ^^ 

P.S. The author's note is so short. I know, *sighs*

Hwaiting!~

- Liz