High School

School Love Affair

Years had gone by since you last saw Hoseok. Everyday you always thought about him. Every time you felt sad or alone, you missed him even more. 

 

You were a junior in high school. Your long, brown hair had been cut to medium length, your brown eyes weren't as bright as before. You wanted to see him one more time, just one more time.

It was a normal day at your local high school when you got called to the office for an early dismissal. You leasurily walked to the office before seeing both of your parents there. "What's going on? You two are never together since the divorce," you said with some sass. 

"Kate, we have something very important we need to discuss at home," your father said shyly. He didn't want you to break down on him again. He hated seeing you motherless in your life and wanted the best for you. 

On the drive home no one said a word. You put in your headphones and listened to a newly found boy group of yours, BTS. Once you pulled into the driveway and exited the SUV you took your headphones out to hear your parents arguing. "I don't need MY daughter going back into her old ways," your mother said. "Well then I'll tell her. I'll tell her everything. You were never there for her and you never will be. So get your out of my face and away from my daughter," you heard your dad triumphently say. A smile began across your face because you loved when your dad did things like that for you. You could never stand up to your mom since you were little. She would always talk down to you and once she left, so did your relationship, whatever that might have been, too.

 

"Go on, sweetie. Go inside," you dad said handing you his keys. You slowly walked in and plopped on the couch.

"Dad, I just-," but he cut you off. He knew you'd apologize and make him feel worse about treating your mother that way. He was a softie but he was your dad and you wouldn't have it any other way.

"Katelyn, I'm getting a job transfer to another high school very far away," he said with a sigh before continuing, "If I get this job, we'll be moving to a different country," he said slowly.

"Dad, just spit it out what country?" you ask sitting up with interest. You wanted to get out of the states so bad. Ever since Hoseok left. You wanted to be in Korea with him.

"Korea," he said smiling. He knew how much you missed Hoseok and he knew about the Korean boy bands you liked. "Are you serious?! You can't be serious. We're really going to Korea!?" you said koalaing your dad. Now was your chance to find Hoseok and do what you've dreamed of doing, becoming a KPOP idol. 

 

Months had passed before it was certain you were moving to Korea. It was your last day as a junior in high school and you were saying good bye to all of your favorite teachers and the friends you had managed to keep all through high school. You drove your car home with the sun roof open and the windows down. You never felt so free and so happy.  "New country, new me," you thought with a smile. You pulled into the drive way to see your dad loading the rest of the moving boxes marked SHIP TO KOREA on them. You ran to him and gave him a hug and he chuckled. "Dad, thank you. For putting up with me for so long and actually thinking about what I want to do and become. It means so much to me and I couldn't ask for a better dad," you said hugging him tighter. You were so happy to finally be happy.

 

The ride to the airport seemed longer than expected. You knew it wasn't far since you had last been when you were 10. But now you were 17 and finally going to find your best friend again. You got the plane tickets and you mouthed "One Way: South Korea"  on it. You followed your dad like a lost puppy because the airport was so big. 

 

"Dad, I'm hungry," you said a few minutes later. "Well, here's $20. Go get yourself your last American meal," he said with a smile. You smiled back and took the money. Hungrily eyeing the airport food court for something to jump out ansd spark your interest. Finally you settled on Jack in the Box. You heard your flight get called and your nearly choked. You hurriedly threw your trash away and ran to your dad, dodging everyone around you. He handed you your carry-on and away you went.

 

Of course your seat was next to your dad and you wanted to sit by the window. As the plane was about to take off you couldn't help but start crying. Your dad heard the sniffles and quickly put an arm around you. "Katelyn, I know this will be hard. Starting your senior year of high school with out knowing how their cirriculum is and without knowing their language. It'll be tough," he said, "and I'm sure you'll miss your friends and your mom. Maybe they can come visit," 

 

A long flight ahead meant sleep the whole time. Hours later you heard the captain come over the intercom saying you had landed at Incheon Airport in South Korea. You let out a yawn and a quick stretch before getting up along with everyone else. This was it. There was no going back to America to live with your mom. Your dad took you with him for a reason. 

To find Hoseok.