Chapter 6: 'Oh Deer'

Chasing a Miracle
Please log in to read the full chapter
• CHAPTER 6 • 'OH DEER'

 

‘You have to be kidding me.’

She winced quietly like a cat while she panted for more breath after jogging a whole fleet of stairs; since the elevator had technical difficulties apparently. All her undeniable excitement to see her beloved’s plump lips smile and vibrant energy flattened in just one moment.

She set her frowning eyes to the giggling couple inside the glassed office cubicle. Just a few metres away from the glassed doorway, she stood and watched affectionate arms around each other’s waists while the handsome one was planting his butterfly kisses from his fiancé’s nose then to her lips. How much more does she need to see this display to end her torture?

Catching off guard, Yoonrae slyly backed away as she exclaimed Myunghee’s name in surprise. Kai rotated to greet his best friend with his hands still attached to his partner’s waist which really irked Myunghee.

“Ay Makmak! You could’ve told us you were here.” He made a gleaming smile. Myunghee tried to rivet her eyes from it as she replied with a stammer, “I-I just got here.”

“Well come now. Let’s all settle down since I’ve brought us homemade dinner for tonight!” Yoonrae scuttled around to the other side and started to disassemble neat-stacked lunchboxes.

“Ah, frankly, I just want to say-“ the other two stopped and looked at her, waiting to finish her sentence.

“Er… I just want to say that… I deeply appreciate your invitation to dinner and thank you for that.” she guiltily looked at their approving eyes then carefully continued, “B-but I am also here to tell you t-that I won’t be able to join the both of you tonight a-anymore due to a...er…”

She cursed herself in her head for attempting to make up a stupid lie. Myunghee was never known as a good liar.

“An urgent m-meeting with s-someone. Yes, someone.”  She tried to convince herself it was a good lie enough to convince the other two but one who’ve known her for many years was familiar to this clumsy characteristic of hers.

“Oh sweetie.” Yoonrae pouted while cross-armed Jongin raised one of his eyebrows and questioned, “And who is this someone, whom stealing our Makmak for tonight’s dinner?”

‘Shoot’

Stammering again which was an extreme liability to her current situation, “An important business man, person whom I n-need to meet for… business…”

“Are you sure it’s urgent?” Yoonrae asked worriedly. Myunghee slowly nodded, no longer making another speech.

“Well that can’t be helped then. How about bring a lunch box of chicken home?” she offered politely.

Myunghee returned the same politeness and refused.

“Well I guess I have to go now. Thank you again and er… enjoy your dinner t-together.” She made a last smile goodbye and sped out of the sight away while pinching herself on the arm. The couple were left dumbfounded but continued anyways.

Once she exited the building, the sun was already down and the congestion in the street was obvious from the faint echoing of horns and accelerating sound of cars.

However, the noise wasn’t important. The cool wind cooled her tensed body from the awkward meeting with the couple. Myunghee just couldn’t handle their incontestable display of affection. Just the thought of them together was enough to make her go nuts. She’s already been muttering to herself.  Yep. She’s a goner indeed.

Please log in to read the full chapter