Chapter 3: Let Loose

Chasing a Miracle
Please log in to read the full chapter
• CHAPTER 3 • LET LOOSE

 

Myunghee did the calculation. Well not specifically calculations but just the probability of her chances for a miracle to happen.

If the wedding never occurs, if Yoonrae was never suitable for Jongin’s liking, was there a possibility that Myunghee would be able to win his heart which she desired for so long?

The real question was ‘how’. How will she do it?

Let’s look at whom Myunghee’s competing with.

Kim Yoonrae was the only child of a wealthy family business empire and happens to be in great partnership with Jongin’s family company. No doubt that she was a beautiful woman. She could be considered as South Korea’s Snow White. Her hair so straight and naturally black, posture so elegant, skin so fair, white and had these thin lips; almost cherry-like shade of red. Let’s not forget her extreme polite manners. Perfect validation for Jongin’s liking.

Comparatively, there was Sun Myunghee. Yes she was a talented dancer. Moderately wealthy you could say. But she wasn’t exactly the business, knowledgeable type. Even if she used to be the class’ most conscientious student, her academic ability was considered average. In comparison with her beauty, it was probably just on a ‘meh’ level. Conversely, she was versatile with styles and colours which was a pro we could give recognition of. But Snow White just seemed to be fairest of them all.

To conclude the result of this probability, Yoonrae, unfortunately, had the upper hand.

Blue skies early in the morning and there Myunghee sighed with her rested body under the warm blanket. Physically, her body was at content to rest after days of workout plus the aftermath of a long flight. Mentally, she was crumbling of pessimism. She actually had a serious thought of wedding crashing but speaking words of wisdom, Mr Byun Baekhyun’s persuasion told her otherwise:

 

 “I don’t think it’s a good idea…”

“B-but… ”

“This isn’t something you can easily meddle around with. These are two lovers at their brink of a potential lifelong relationship. This isn’t some summer fling, this is real. I’m not saying I like it but there are things we shouldn’t touch with dirty hands. For your own sake, Myunghee, I don’t think this is a wise choice”

 

More than anything, Myunghee trusted her best friend’s words, no doubt that. But the pain. Was she going to be strong enough? Will this test her courage? Even if this was indeed a test, instincts already declared her failure to succeed a good result.

twitched in declination, but the intimidation from his eyes given was not something she wanted to defy. She remembered the detail of serious tone in his voice which caused her to step back. Word by word, Baekhyun made sure they were engraved into her head. And so, they came into an agreement.

No wedding crashing, no problem.

Mumbling the words to herself, there was a soft knock on the half-open door.

“Good morning sunshine.” In a sing-song voice, her mother entered the dim-lit room with a huge smile formed on her face.

“Umma, good morning!” Myunghee greeted back. An immediate grin came due to the presence of her mother. Oh how she missed her mother’s morning greetings. No matter what, her mother’s gentle maternal company never fail to lighten up her mood.

“Breakfast’s ready. Are you hungry?”

Rubbing her growling stomach, she nodded as she waddled her way towards her mother. She fancied the night wear she was wearing. It was neatly sewn, pink patterned matching pajamas especially hand-made from her mother. Childish it looked but Myunghee couldn’t careless as she treated it as more than a night garment.

Her mother was a creator. Creator of the warmest clothes anyone could possibly ever wear. According to Myunghee that is. Every winter, even if she was miles away, Myunghee’s mother never hesitated to send a package of knitted-woollen scarves or soft gloves for winter. After all, she was the only family she had left.

Taking their seats opposite to one another, Myunghee’s fingers reached for the chopsticks and started eating messily and hungrily as usual.  There was already a grain falling from her bowl of rice and spilled some bean sauce on the kitchen table. However, the mother felt gleeful to have her only child contently eating within her sight. Their presence together, veiled all her past worries or yearning thoughts.

“Umma, are we going anywhere today? I’m not fully recovered from jetlag but I’m fine enough to go around.” She carefully spoke, trying not spew food out of .

“Oh! Matter of fact, Kim Jongin’s family, including himself and Yoonrae are going to the markets today.” Her mother replied, “They were wondering if you and Baekhyun could tag along.”

Immediately, a hand came for comfort as she started to cough like a hag. Myunghee grabbed the glass of water and she gulped down the liquid, thumping her chest. Questions were asked out of concern as Myunghee answered calmly and assured her mother that she was not dying.

The moment her mother said if they could tag along with the Kim family, malevolence arrived and Myunghee saw this as an open door for an opportunity to make her move.

‘Bacon, we’re going shopping.’ She thought. She knew then that she was definitely up to no good.

***

Byun Baekhyun, on the other hand, was absolutely oblivious of the day’s ‘special’ event. Ever since he woke up, his lazy bottom just wouldn’t leave the surface of his bed. Living under the same one-storey house with his parents, they knew how lazy their youngest son can get. But they never worry too much about it.

It was just another typical, autumn morning for Baekhyun and his body had no motivation to move. He wasn’t exactly planning to go anywhere particularly, but one simple message swayed his decision. Within a tap of his slender phone that matched his elegant fingers, he read the message with a questioningly look, “Shopping? Why so out of the blue?”

Normally, Myunghee would only decide to go shopping whenever necessary, like when there was an occasion to participate but there isn’t really anything new or special coming. Except Jongin’s wedding which is in another 3 or 4 months’ time; there was nothing. Myunghee wasn't the shopaholic type either. However, he shrugged off the suspicion as he ripped himself from the bed and randomly chose his outfit.

Later, when he had already fully prepared, he quickly notified his parents relaxed on the couch.

“Whe

Please log in to read the full chapter