Seven

Two Sides
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Thursday,

Jiwon just changed her school uniform into her work uniform. She finished her school and she is now standing behind the cashier. She looked around the room and saw Won stacking boxes behind the shelves. Today was Won’s turn to work with her while Yoonmi had her day-off. However, she hasn’t seen Kyungsoo today. In fact, she didn’t see him while she enters the shop. Jiwon wondered if Kyungsoo had his day-off today.

Won finished stacking boxes and went back behind the cashier next to Jiwon. That afro hair boy looked like he hasn’t sleep in days because of the bags under his eyes that grow more visible to Jiwon’s eyes. Jiwon wasn’t the type of girl that wanted to intrude someone else’s life or anything but she also wasn’t the type of girl that would ignore her surroundings easily.

“Hey Won,” she called. Won turned his head to Jiwon and furrowed his eyebrows. “Do you by any chance know where Kyungsoo is?”

“Kyungsoo? He should’ve been here hours ago. I think he called in sick today and told the manager that he’ll be late or maybe absent.”

“Oh.” Jiwon looked away but then he saw Won yawning. “Would you like to take some break? You look like a zombie.”

“Huh what?” Won blinked his eyes rapidly.

“Go home Won. I’ll take care of the shop. We only have two more hours anyway.”

Won didn’t even felt hesitant when he stepped into the kitchen and to the locker room. Jiwon shook her head and just sighed. She felt pity for Won. God knows what makes him tired like that. Jiwon heard a knock from the kitchen door. She saw Won already changed to his casual outfit waving her from behind the door. She nodded and then she watched him leaving from the back door.

Jiwon sighed again when she saw the shop was getting quieter. Today wasn’t as busy as always though they still sell some cupcakes. The last costumer she had was about an hour ago. She began counting the times and as she estimated, the shop was already empty fifteen minutes after Won is gone. She looked at her wristwatch and then hummed. She better called it a day.

She went to the front door and then locked it. She turned the board to ‘closed’ and then closed the curtains. She went to the kitchen and saw the dirty pan on the sink. Jiwon had a thought and then she immediately took out her phone and dialed a number. She waited and then beamed when the lass answered, “Ah unnie can I ask you a favor? Yes I’m closing it early today. It’s the favor that I asked you a few days ago, and what do you say?” she waited until the lass finished talking and then a wide grin appeared on her face. “Thank you so much unnie! Yes I’ll make sure that I clean it up and pay you back for the ingredients.”

She hangs up the phone and then jumped in joy. She hurriedly went to the locker and grabs her bag. She dropped her belongings on the table. She quickly searched her bag and then she grabbed a piece of paper from inside her bag. She opens the folded piece of paper and spread it on the table. She reads it carefully as she reads the title, ‘Red Velvet Cupcakes with Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting’.

Jiwon ran into the storage room. She picked up a bag of flour, unsalted butter, a bag of granulated sugar, some eggs, a small bottle of red food coloring, a small bottle of vanilla extract, a quart of milk, a small jar of cocoa powder, baking soda and a bottle of cider vinegar.

She placed all of the ingredients on the kitchen table. She huffed and then grabbed an apron from the hanger. She wears a white apron next to the white one. She reads the recipe again and sometimes took glances to the ingredients. She decided that she’ll try baking the cupcakes first without the frosting.  Just in case if she messed up and had to redo everything from scratch.

The first thing that she needs to do is preheat the oven. She turned the oven on and preheats it to 350oF. She took one pan that usually uses for making cupcakes and then placed the paper baking cups in every hole. The next thing that she needs to do is sift the flour and salt together.

Then she went to the next table next to her where she found a stand mixer. She took the bowl and then began filling it with the ingredients that she needs to mix; she added the butter and the granulated sugar into the bowl and mixes it together at medium speed. She added two eggs while the bowl is still mixing. She turned the mixer to low speed and then she went off taking a small bowl. She whisks the red food coloring, vanilla and cocoa powder together and then slowly add them to the mixer bowl.

 

“What the hell are you doing?”

Jiwon almost drop the small bowl in her arm. She lifted her head and she was surprised to see Kyungsoo on his chef uniform crossing his arms. Jiwon immediately turned the mixer off and put the small bowl in her arm to the table. Kyungsoo closed the back door behind him and slowly walks toward Jiwon. Jiwon felt numb and just stared at his moving figure.

“Are you baking cupcakes?” he finally asked.

Jiwon sighed. She didn’t answer his question but she gave him the recipe paper symbolizing her answer. Jiwon checked her batter in the mixing bowl. She grabbed a spoon and pokes it lightly. Kyungsoo followed her and saw the batter. He hummed and then he held out his hand and touched the batter.

“You can’t use your hand! It’s not sanitary.” Jiwon whined.

“I’m the pastry chef here.”

Jiwon rolled her eyes and scoffed, “Yeah whatever you say maget.”

“Oh and you did it wrong probie. You should have use the no-taste red food coloring.”

“What?” Jiwon snatched the recipe from Kyungsoo’s hand. She reads the ingredients part one more time and then groans. “Great, I missed this. It’s obviously written here and I totally missed it.”

Kyungsoo shook his head and then snickered. “Why are you even doing this anyway? You could just

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter