Five

Two Sides
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Wednesday,

Jiwon had PE class today together with Hyunjoo. They just finished their last period and they were about to begin their PE class. Jiwon stepped out of the school building. She just finished changing her uniform into her training and she ran into the field. Hyunjoo was already standing in the line with the other girls. The Coach asked the students to form a line of ten and separated the girls from the boys. Jiwon was at the end of the line and became the tenth person. The girl that went after her had no choice to form another line with the other girls.

After they line was formed the Coach blow his whistle. “Alright students, for today’s PE class I’m going to divide two teams. Boys vs. girls.” The girls groaned while the boys just smiled smugly to each other, some of them even made mocking faces to the girls. Jiwon just glared at the boy standing next to her. She saw Hyunjoo already feeling red. “And today we will be playing baseball.”

Jiwon was never a fan of sports, any sports. But she couldn’t deny the fact that she had long legs and slim body that was the perfect body shape of an athlete. She’s never interested in doing sports though she never hated it. She would only do them if she had to; in this case, for the sake of her grades.

“Okay boys and girls, go discuss with your team on the position and we’ll be playing in five minutes.”

The line disbanded and both of the girls and boys huddled up in a group. In this kind of situation, Jiwon felt like everyone in the same position; frightened and anxious. Baseball was one hardcore game for girls. If the ball hits you, the pain is unbearable for girls. Jiwon already an expert on getting hit by a ball; basketball, volleyball, tennis ball, ping pong ball, even a rubber ball.

In the end, Jiwon got the thrower position thanks to Hyunjoo that suggested her. The game then started with a game of rock paper scissor to decide which team will go first. Fortunately, the boys lose. It means that the girls will go first and Hyunjoo goes as the first runner. The thrower from the boys’ team was already playing with the ball as Hyunjoo steps into the position. Hyunjoo gripped the bat and steady her position.

“Hyunjoo fighting!!” Jiwon yelled from the bleachers.

Hyunjoo raised her bat and stared straight to the thrower. The thrower throws the ball in high speed and Hyunjoo swings her bat and it hit. The ball flies across the field and the players from the boys’ team scattered on the field to try to catch it. Hyunjoo ran to next post just when the ball gets caught. But it was safe.

Now goes the second player and it was the girl from the toilet, one of Serin’s rats. She steadies her footings and gets into position. The thrower throws the ball and quickly hit her in the forehead. Everyone was in shock at what happen even the thrower ran to her to check up on her. She stoops with her hands covering her face. Her bat fell off the ground and she squatted on her spot. Everyone gathered around her and the Coach appeared with a box of first aid kit on his arms.

He slowly cupped her face and she let go of her hands. Her forehead was red and her face was slightly swollen. “I think it’s pretty bad. Can someone volunteered on helping her to the infirmary?”

Everyone went quiet and then Jiwon raised her hand. “I volunteered sir.”

The girl lifted her head and she stared. The Coach gave Jiwon the first aid kit box and slowly leading the girl into Jiwon’s arm. Jiwon put her arm around the girl’s neck and guided her outside the field. The game then continues as the Coach blow his whistle again. Jiwon and the girl walked slowly to the infirmary and they finally reached the place.

Jiwon knocked on the door and the nurse opens the door. “Oh you poor lady, come, let’s get her inside.” The nurse helped Jiwon and they both guided the girl to lie down on the bed. Jiwon stood next to the bed while the nurse checks on her on the other side of the bed.

“First I’m going to check on your body first and then treat you face. It seems like you have lost a lot of energy than usual.” The nurse grabbed the stethoscope and then she listened to the girl’s heart. She moved it from her chest to her belly and what surprised Jiwon was that her expression turned when she moved it to her belly. She shook her head like she isn’t sure about what she heard. Then she took off her stethoscope and went to grab bigger equipment. She brought the ultra-sonogram machine from behind the curtains.

“Is it necessary for you to use that?” the girl asked feeling a bit anxious. Jiwon could feel herself holding her breath.

“I’m just going to make sure that what I found out was true. Don’t worry dear.” The nurse then took the thingy and spread some gel on the thingy and the girl’s stomach. “Now you’ll feel slight cold because of the gel.” She moved the thingy on her stomach and she started to move it around. The nurse looked at the monitor and again, her expression changed. Jiwon watched the whole and she grew more anxious when the nurse finished. “Can you sit down now? I’m going to treat your face.”

The nurse then moves the ultra-sonogram machine behind the curtains and came back with a tray full of mending equipment. She treated the girl’s face; she cleaned her forehead from the sand from the ball that hit her and placed a bag of ice on top of it. “There you go, Gayeon. Hold is like this and if the ice melts go change to a new one. Your face will be back to normal by tomorrow morning.”

So her name is Gayeon.

The nurse went to her desk and writes something on a paper. Jiwon approached her and sit on a chair in front of her. She was about to opens when the girl cuts her. “You don’t have to act nice to me. I know how you are towards people Jiwon.”

Jiwon sighed and clamped her hands together. “I don’t care what you think of me.”

“Then why are you here?”

“Because you owe me one to keep your secret.”

“What? Are you blackmailing me now? You really are a ! I don’t care. Serin already knows anyway, infact the whole school already knows thanks to you.”

“Didn’t you reali

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter