chunjoe: Beginning

Drabble Collection

In the beginning there was this sulky kid that followed their manager into the conference room where the 6 of them sat waiting.

 

“Byunghun is going to replace Changbum as the 2nd rapper,” their manager announced, causing Changbum’s blood to drain off his face and the rest of them to go absolutely silent.

 

“But I like Changbum,” Changhyun whined quietly enough for his protest to be mistaken as none different from the trivial musing out loud he often does.

 

But Chanhee liked Byunghun.

 

In the beginning Byunghun didn’t speak much. When he did, he spoke two languages interchangeably. Daniel was visibly bugged. “It’s like he’s better than all of us or something,” he said one day when Byunghun was not there. Minsoo didn’t comment. Neither did Changhyun and Jonghyun because nobody ever listened to the two of them.

 

Byunghun didn’t dance well, just like Chanhee. The rest of them used to get angry at Chanhee whenever he made a mistake. Now they’re angrier at Byunghun. So Chanhee and Byunghun stayed in the practice room till late to practice, trying to perfect a routine and remember the steps. They could manage.

 

And in the beginning Chanhee felt something he had never felt before. It was awe when he watched Byunghun play the piano one day when Byunghun must have felt comfortable enough to let Chanhee in his practice room.

 

“I will write you a song.” Byunghun said.

 

That’d be really nice.

 

It was pity when at night in their shared room, they talked about high school and Byunghun could only listen to Chanhee talk about the many friends Chanhee had. Byunghun didn’t have any friends. Back in Oregon he didn’t fit in because of his Koreanness and now in Korea he didn’t either because of his Oregonianess. Sometimes Chanhee made stuff up. Byunghun couldn’t tell.

 

And it's warmth whenever he saw Byunghun laugh or smile. He wanted Byunghun to be happy always.

 

It was a mix of emotions that in the little free time he had inbetween classes at school and practice at the company he didn't have time to pin a name to. But he was content. Better let it grow naturally wouldn’t it?

 

Minsoo ran away one day. “Watch what you eat.” “Keep the group together.” got to him and after 3 years of training he had second thoughts about becoming an idol.

 

Andy wasn’t angry. He calmly told the remaining 5 what happened and what would follow if Minsoo didn’t come back.

 

But in the end everything worked out.

 

In the end Minsoo came back. It was the happiest day in Chanhee’s life. He’s finally debuting. Everyone gathered around and hugged Minsoo really tight. Minsoo looked at Byunghun really long and Byunghun smiled.

 

In the end the 6 of them tried their best. Critics marveled at how in sync they were when looking at still shots of their performances.

 

In the end Byunghun fit in in his odd way. He talked more to Changhyun and Daniel. Jonghyun even shared his food with Byunghun. Making fun of his sulking became a good-natured joke every one made. And he didn’t mind.

 

“Can you teach me how to make fried rice?” Byunghun asked Chanhee one day when Chanhee was rushing about in the kitchen, attention divided among the several pots and pans on the stove and the two trays in the oven. It's Jonghyun's birthday and he refused to go home so everyone decided to throw him a party right in the dorm.

 

“Sure. Why all of a sudden?”

 

“Minsoo said yesterday that he liked fried rice. Is it easy to make?”

 

In the end, when Chanhee saw Byunghun and Minsoo asleep leaning against each other in the seat behind his in their van or huddled together on the couch in their living room watching a movie on Byunghun’s computer or giggling at something funny they told each other, he smiled and hoped everything would go well for them.

 

He wanted Byunghun to be happy always.