Lost

Lost in Love

Daehyun finally arrived home after a long day of work. Despite working past one that night, he was surprisingly still energized. It was probably the anxiety that was keeping him up. He couldn’t stop thinking about all the new responsibilities that would come if they opened up a new restaurant. New building, new renovation, new employees, new marketing. It was all very overwhelming, which may have been why Daehyun pushed the thought off for years. Baekhyun didn’t let the business side of managing the restaurant stress him. Daehyun simply preferred cooking. Maybe it’s why they made such a good team. Daehyun had the heart while Baekhyun had the determination. 

Opening the front door, Daehyun was met with darkness and silence. Baekhyun usually left the light on when Daehyun would stay out late, but now he had to fumble for the light switch himself. Daehyun saw Baekhyun’s car in the driveway, but maybe a friend came to pick him up when he went out. 

Daehyun threw his things on the couch and headed to the kitchen for a glass of water. He continued to stress over the future of the business. What if things failed? What if they had to close up shop if one, or both, businesses failed? His mind raced with possibilities and consequences. He kept pulling up his business account and doing quick calculations and future assessments of how to manage their business spending and savings. His palms began to sweat and his heart raced with stress and anxiety. 

At last, he finally admitted to himself that he needed sleep. He dragged himself to the bedroom. As he opened the door to the bedroom, he was startled to find Baekhyun lying in bed. With how quiet and dark the house was, Daehyun assumed he’d still be out. Baekhyun laid on his right side, stiff as a board, and his breathing was incredibly silent, a sign that he wasn’t asleep. He jumped when Daehyun touched him before turning and giving a weak smile.

“Hey, I didn’t know you were home,” Baekhyun said quietly.

“You didn’t hear me come in?”

“No, I’m a little out of it right now. I think I drank too much.”

Daehyun snorted while taking off his clothes and grabbing a robe. “Who’d you go out with?”

Baekhyun took a pause, as if hesitating. “Taeyeon, and some of her friends.”

Daehyun let out of sigh of jealousy. “Wish I could’ve been there. Inventory is no fun on a Saturday night.“

Baekhyun gave another halfhearted grin before turning his gaze towards the ceiling and laying flat on his back. He looked haggard, like something deeper was happening to him than just being a little drunk. Daehyun stared at his husband’s furrowed brows and grim expression. He could tell something was wrong.

“Is everything alright?” Daehyun asked. 

Baekhyun flicked his eyes in Daehyun’s direction before returning his gaze to the ceiling. “I’m okay, just loopy, you know? Go take your shower. I know you’re tired.”

Daehyun didn’t believe the excuse, but pressing the issue further usually didn’t get him anywhere, historically speaking, when Baekhyun was upset about something. Instead, Daehyun took a hot, long shower, letting the soap and steam cleanse his body and mind. His brain wondered back to the past and present of the restaurant. Quitting his reliable job and opening a restaurant was a risky adventure, but it worked out, he thought to himself. He figured that he shouldn’t be so scared to venture out on a new leaf again. Not to mention, Baekhyun and he knew how to run a restaurant this time and weren’t making plenty of educated (and uneducated) guesses on how to get the shop off the ground. Things should be easier this time. 

Daehyun got out the shower and put on his pajamas. When he finally got into bed, Baekhyun was sound asleep, his body finally peaceful, no longer tense and anxious. Daehyun gave him a kiss on the forehead before falling asleep. 


When Daehyun finished his shower the next morning, he was relieved to see Baekhyun still sleeping. He didn’t need to explain to him why he was leaving so early.     

Daehyun spread some mousse through the strands of his hair and picked out a light blue dress shirt and black slacks to wear. Normally, he wore jeans and a t-shirt for work at the restaurant, but today he was going some place special. He stuffed some of his normal attire into a bag for the rest of his work day. After he finished dressing and gathering his things, Daehyun tiptoed to Baekhyun’s side of the bed and opened his nightstand. He carefully looked through his husband’s belongings before finally finding one of his fashion rings that he rarely wore. Daehyun slid it into his pocket and tiptoed out of the room and out of the house, leaving Baekhyun to sleep off his hangover.    

After what felt like hours of unexpected heavy traffic, he arrived to an outdoor shopping area. Even on a Sunday morning with the possibility of rain, the place was bustling with activity. Daehyun quickly made his way to end of the shopping area towards a large shop with a sign reading Millennium Jewelry in bright, bold letters. Daehyun stepped into the nearly all white store with only the employees in black for contrast. A petite woman walked over to Daehyun and gave a small bow to him.   

“Welcome to Millennium Jewelry, sir. My name is Minyoung. How can I assist you today?”

“Um, hi Minyoung. I’m not sure what I should be looking for. I haven’t been jewelry shopping in years. I just wanted to get something for my husband to show my appreciation. I think a wedding band would be nice.”

Minyoung smiled. “I would be happy to assist you today. How long have you and your husband been together, if I may ask?’

Daehyun did some quick calculations in his head. “We’ve been married for nineteen years, together for twenty-one, I believe.”

“Twenty-one years! Congratulations! It’s hard to find couples that stay together that long anymore.”

Minyoung guided him to several counters of glittering rings, all propped upon stands or cradled in cushions. Daehyun’s eye already caught onto a shimmering ring encrusted in diamonds. Minyoung’s eyes followed his into the display case.

“Is it the True Ring you are admiring?” Minyoung asked while pointing at the ring he was eyeing. Daehyun nodded and commented on the diamonds twinkling at him. Minyoung unlocked the display case and gently grabbed the cushion the ring was resting on. She delicately held the cushion in her hand for Daehyun to view. Daehyun marveled at the sparkling diamonds and its elegant design. 

“This beauty is eighteen karat white gold with alternating links. They help feature the T-traced pavé diamonds encrusted in this ring. I think it will be a good accompaniment to a more traditional wedding band. ”

Daehyun sighed and mentioned that a new ring would replace Baekhyun’s current silicone ring. He remembered how he had to sell their rings to help meet the deposit on their current restaurant space. Daehyun depleted their savings account to fund the deposit, but it still wasn’t enough money. Baekhyun was the one who suggested they pawn their wedding rings to make up for the rest of the costs and avoid dipping into Taehyung’s college savings. Daehyun refused initially, but after calculating what costs they still needed to meet, he finally agreed to selling the rings. It broke Daehyun’s heart, especially when he saw Baekhyun admiring the ring on his finger one night, feeling the diamonds with his thumb before putting it in a box for safe keeping. Daehyun couldn’t erase the memory of Baekhyun’s face in his mind that day. The feelings of sadness and worry etching his face, titling his lips down into a frown and creasing his forehead. That face furthered his resolve to ensure that the restaurant was a success. He had to make it up to Baekhyun one day. Now, he smiled as he stared at the ring that he could finally purchase for his husband.

After he finished telling Minyoung the story of why he was buying Baekhyun a new ring, she eyed the silicone ring on his left hand and her eyes lit up. “Well, we surely can’t let you leave without searching for a ring for yourself!”

Realizing that he weaved himself into Minyoung’s web for more commissions, he went to look at other wedding bands for himself. He eventually chose a less ornate but still striking matte platinum band that was, thankfully, half the price of Baekhyun’s ring. Minyoung spent some time measuring his finger and taking Baekhyun’s ring for measurement before finally ringing up his total. Daehyun’s eyes went wide before fumbling for his wallet. He reminded himself that he would do anything for his beloved.

Daehyun left the store, still staring at the receipt in hand. He would have to wait a week before the rings were properly fitted, but the money had already been withdrawn from his account. As he walked and contemplated how this was the most money he’d ever spent on personal items in years, he bumped into a small woman.    

“Am I getting too short to see these days?” the woman said, brushing her bangs back into place.

Daehyun looked down to see Taeyeon smiling at him.

“Taeyeon! It’s so good to see you! You look great too!”  Daehyun said while pulling her in for a hug. He got a whiff of a delightful floral scent on her skin. “You smell great too.

“I should. Some girls from a few stores down attacked me with perfume. How long has been since I last seen you? The cabin trip?”

“Yeah, the cabin trip a few months back. It’s been too long, but you were with Baekhyun last night. Was he any fun last night or was he being a stuffy old man like usual?”

Taeyeon’s smile waned and she lifted an eyebrow in confusion. “Baekhyun? I wasn’t with him last night. I wish I was though. I went to sleep around eight last night like the grandma I’m becoming!”

Daehyun looked in a state of confusion himself. He stood silent for a couple of moments, thinking about what Baekhyun could’ve been talking about last night, before realizing he was keeping Taeyeon waiting. “He was wasted when he came home. He must’ve been confused.”

“I’m sure. Well, I’ll be in town for about week, so I’ll try to stop by your restaurant some time. I gotta head to a stuffy work brunch. Don’t be a stranger!”

Daehyun gave her another hug before watching her walk down the plaza. He tried not to let the Taeyeon discrepancy get to him, but something about Baekhyun wasn’t sitting right with him.      


As Daehyun left the shopping center and headed to the restaurant, he couldn’t stop thinking about the encounter with Taeyeon and Baekhyun’s behavior. Now that he really thought about it, Baekhyun had been acting strangely. He mostly spoke in one word sentences last night and wasn’t his usually chirpy self, and Baekhyun was especially chirpy after a few drinks. Really, he didn’t seem all that drunk the night before. Just spaced out and jumpy.

Daehyun unlocked the front door of the restaurant, his mind still racing about Baekhyun, but as soon as he saw the restaurant, his mind jumped back to worrying about the business. Daehyun went to the storage room to change into more casual clothing for the day. He put on his cooking apron and wiped down some of the tables and swept the floor before Youngjae came in.

As expected for a Sunday, it was a slow at the restaurant. Even the brunch hours were sparse on account of the rain that came in that morning. In between cooking and cleaning. Daehyun wrote down lists of to-dos for the next week. His mind still raced with new ideas and concerns about the new restaurant, even if it wasn’t a guarantee that they would secure the building. But despite his concerns about the restaurants and his growing concerns about Baekhyun, he felt somewhat optimistic. Opening a new restaurant sparked the passion Daehyun felt for owning a business again. Soon, his mind thought of the possibilities that would come if this new restaurant was a success.

Towards the end of the afternoon when it was time for closing and the restaurant was empty, Youngjae sat down his broom and took a seat at the bar. 

“Slow day?” Daehyun asked.

“Slow day. But has it been slow for you? You’ve been writing furiously all day,” Youngjae commented.

Daehyun picked up his notepad full of tiny, barely legible scribbles. He walked from behind the bar and sat down on a stool next to Youngjae. 

“I’ve been sort of anxious and excited all day. Baek and I are thinking about opening a new restaurant. And it’s keeping me distracted from other things.

Youngjae perked up hearing the news. “That’s great! You guys are gonna lease that building in the business district?”

“Nothing is official, but we hope so,” Daehyun beamed.

“That’s great still! I’m happy for you guys.”

Daehyun put his arm around Youngjae. “I can make you a supervisor at one of the restaurants when it opens. I’ll need the help.”

Youngjae gave a coy smile before looking down at his hands resting on the counter. “I don’t know about that.”

Daehyun brushed off his concern. “Sure you can. You’re one of my most capable servers.”

Youngjae grinned. “That’s something I’ve been wanting to talk you about, actually. I’ve been thinking about—”

Before Youngjae could finish, the bell at the front door of the restaurant chimed. The men turned around to see a rain soaked Baekhyun come in, his jacket dripping in the doorway.

“Hey, honey. What are you doing here? I didn’t think you’d come in today, party boy,” Daehyun teased.

“I came to see if you needed help with closing,” Baekhyun said. His voice sounded froggy and scratchy. He saw Daehyun’s armed wrapped around Youngjae. “But I see I’m interrupting something.”

Daehyun removed his arm from Youngjae and stood up to walk towards Baekhyun. “There’s nothing to interrupt.”

Baekhyun gave a smirk. “No, I’ll leave you to your crush.” Baekhyun glared at Youngjae before pushing himself out the door. Daehyun went to chase him down, but Baekhyun quickly got into his car parked on the street and drove away.

Daehyun tried to interpret what just happened. He tried to understand if Baekhyun was joking, but the terse tone in his voice sounded more agitated and mean spirited than just a joke. Daehyun turned around to see Youngjae sheepishly bent over the counter, staring at nothing in particular. 

“Hey, Youngjae. I don’t know what that was about. Baekhyun’s been feeling a little ill and he’s been out of character.”

Youngjae looked up and gave an awkward smile. “No, it’s fine. I understand.”

Daehyun took off his apron and draped it over a chair. “You can go home. I can close by myself. There shouldn’t be much to clean up tonight.”

Rather than insisting on staying like usual, Youngjae simply nodded his head and walked towards the back room to gather his things. He emerged from the room a few moments later and gave Daehyun a nod of acknowledgment before leaving through the back door. 

Daehyun quickly closed the store and headed home. He couldn’t wrap his head around the ordeal at the restaurant. It was so out of character for Baekhyun. As far as he knew, Daehyun wasn’t aware of any bad blood between Youngjae and Baekhyun. They acted cordially to each other when they were at the restaurant, although they didn’t really speak about anything other than general pleasantries and business at the restaurant. And then there was the situation earlier that morning with Taeyeon. Daehyun couldn’t figure out what was going on, but it put a sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach. His mouth became drier and has he drove closer to home.   

Daehyun finally pulled into the driveway of their house. He briefly wondered if Taehyung was home, but he remembered that he would get a text from him when he finally returned from school trip sometime late in the evening.

He walked in to find the house dark again, the only noise coming from the rain outside. Daehyun the lights and headed upstairs to find Baekhyun sitting on the bed, facing the window, silently watching the rain. 

“Baekhyun, what happened back there at the restaurant?”

Baekhyun didn’t turn around. “It was nothing.”

“It was clearly something.”

Baekhyun turned his head sharply to Daehyun. “I said leave it, Daehyun.”

Daehyun walked to the other side of the bed where he sat and knelt down to get on eye level with Baekhyun. He grabbed his hands while looking into his eyes. “Tell me what’s wrong. Let me fix it.”   

They stared into each others eyes wordlessly before Baekhyun broke into tears, his chest heaving with sobs.

“Tell me what’s wrong Baek.”

“You’ll hate me for it,” Baekhyun sniffled out.

The pit in Daehyun's stomach grew larger, but he squeezed his husband’s hands harder. “Just tell me, and we can get through it together.”

Baekhyun took a sigh and his lips, trying to control his sobbing. “I kissed Chanyeol last night.”  

Daehyun dropped Baekhyun’s hands and stood up.

“What?”