A New Employee

Lost in Love

 

“If you’re ever told no one could infuse chicken with the flavor of a hundred cloves of garlic, just know they’re wrong,” Daehyun told his waiter, Jin.

Daehyun unlocked the door to the restaurant and the lights. It wasn’t a very large building, more length than there was width. There were tables along the wall with a bar on the other side and the kitchen in the far right covered by a glass wall. Baekhyun proposed covering the entire kitchen, but Daehyun wanted to wave to the customers occasionally.

“I’m sure it was an intense smell,” Jin commented.

“Yeah, we’ve been airing out the house for the past three days, but it was worth it.”

The restaurant didn’t open till noon, but Daehyun and Jin came early to post the pictures of baby Taehyung.  Jin was more than delighted to see the baby pictures of his friend; it was more ammunition to use against him.

“Did I tell you about your promotion Jin?” Daehyun asked, unfurling a picture to put in the frame. It was a picture of Taehyung at his first birthday party, slathering frosting all over his face.

Jin looked excited. “To what?”

“In charge of teaching the new employee all the basics.”

Jin seemed a little deflated. “Who is it?”

Daehyun shrugged his shoulders. “Baek interviewed him. I just agreed to it. Now come taste this.”

Daehyun placed a picture frame on a table and brought out a crock pot. He opened the lid and gestured for Jin to come over. Jin didn’t know what he was looking at for sure, but he saw tentacles soaked in a brown liquid with what looked like gummy bears sprinkled on top.

“You know, Mr. Jung, I don’t think the general public is ready for this,” Jin observed.

“Funny, that’s exactly what Baek and Tae said.”

 

 


 

Daehyun and Jin were sitting at the bar after they finished putting up all the portraits of Taehyung. They were eating leftover chicken and orzo soup Daehyun made last night, tasting just as fresh as if he’d prepared it that morning.

“Eating’s the best. There’s nothing in this world more pleasurable in this world than eating,” Daehyun moaned as he finished the last of his soup.

“When I eat, I feel happy and everyone looks like angels,” Jin said.

Daehyun nodded his head. “I feel you.”

The door chimes jingled and both of the men turned around to see a young man entering the restaurant. He was quite handsome, with his very delicate features complementing his masculine jawline, large, near black eyes searched aimlessly before they finally settled upon the two men eating. He was wearing the white button down and black slacks Jin was sporting also. He must be the new employee.

Daehyun rose from his stool and walked to the young man. “You must be the new waiter. We didn’t expect you to come this early.”

“Oh, is this too early? I can come back later,” the new waiter asked.

“No, this is fine!” Daehyun threw his hand out for the waiter to shake. “Jung Daehyun, owner of the restaurant. It’s nice to meet you.”

The waiter shook his hand. “Yoo Youngjae, nice to meet you too.”

 


 

“You know the waiter you picked out is a good kid,” Daehyun told his husband as he sat on their bed. “He listens well. Can cook too, and very polite. The boy can even sing, has a beautiful voice if you ask me.”

“If you like him so much then why don’t you marry him?” Baekhyun teased.

Daehyun got up from the bed and hugged Baekhyun from behind. “I’ve already found the one for me.”

Baekhyun grunted, “Anyway, look what I found.” Baekhyun grabbed the laptop from the side of the bed. “Look at this the building I found. I’ve already scheduled an appointment with the realtor.” Baekhyun showed him the stone building with floor-length windows in the heart of downtown. “I’m talking expansion, Dae. Think of how much business you’ll get being in the middle of the city.”

Daehyun his husband’s cheek. He was always cute whenever he was intensely passionate about something. “I’m happy with what we have now. I don’t need expansion.”

“You’re such a simple man,” Baekhyun sighed. “Just come to the realtor with me. Then make your decision.”

Daehyun his arm. “If you give me a little lovin’.”

“Get away from you dirty old man,” Baekhyun said, pushing him away.

Daehyun pulled towards him and kissed him. Even after all their years of marriage, Daehyun still felt excited at the prospect of making love with Baekhyun.