A Mother's Sacrifice

Something Special
.
.
.
.
.
As early as lunchtime of Saturday, Agot was back at Gerald and Cherry’s house. She met the boy’s mom for the first time. Agot’s heart really went out to Cherry. She was almost Agot’s age yet she looked ten years older than Agot.

“What?” Cherry exclaimed. “You’re going to study my son?”

“Opo misis...” Agot explained. “I’d like to perform a case study on Gerald....”

“Case study?”

“Ano po iyon...parang hong research siya...” Agot elucidated.

“Miss Santos, what exactly are you going to do with him?”

“I’d like to do several one-on-one interviews with your son this entire summer. Plano ko hong mag-session kami sa bahay during weekdays. Tapos ihahatid ko rin siya pauwi dito tuwing gabi...iyon ay kung papayag kayo...”

“How about his job?”

“Inay...I don’t really care much for that job anyway!” Gerald said.

“Don’t worry...I’ll give him a stipend...” Agot said. “For his participation in my study...”

“Stifen..???”

“Inay, stipend...” corrected Gerald. “It’s like an allowance...for studying...”

“Ay...that’s good with me!”

Cherry smiled broadly. Agot took it as a sign that she was giving her permission.

“So, Gerald...are you ready for today’s session?” Agot asked.

“Yes, maam...” Gerald replied.

“Mrs. Garcia...” Agot said. “Here is our number at home. You can contact him anytime. I”ll have him back before supper.”

“Salamat po...” Cherry replied. “Sige na, anak, ingat kayo...”

Gerald kisses his mom, who was a bit teary eyed. “O Inay, why are you crying?”

“Wala to, anak...” said Cherry. “Mami-miss lang kita...”

“Ito naman...babalik naman ako kaagad ah...”

“Basta anak, you take care of yourself there okay?”

“Sige inay...”

As soon as Gerald and Agot leave, Cherry picks up her old and trusty cell phone and dialled her friend’s number.

“Linda...this is your kumareng Cherry” Cherry said. “I’m calling to say that I’m accepting that job you’re offering...”

“Paano iyan, mare...” replied Linda on the other line. “How about your son?”

“Gerald’s okay...” Cherry said guiltily. “He’s been taken cared of...”

.
.
.

The truth was, yesterday, Cherry was fired from her work. When she came home yesterday, she didn’t have the heart to tell her son about what happened at work. HE came back from his trip with Agot Santos so excited and happy about his test scores that Cherry didn’t want to ruin his fun.
But right this very moment, she really was at the verge of collapse. She no longer has work and she has no money saved up. The textile factory she was working in had to downsize their employees due to slow sales and Cherry was one of the first ones to be let go.

That very day, she poured her heart out to her friend Linda Solis. The latter was spared from the mass layoff.

“Mare, I don’t know what to do...” cried Cherry. “I don’t have any money left...the overtime money we had last week, I used to buy Gerald new shoes...I didn’t expect this to happen...and I’m really, really broke...”

“Mare...you know if I have the money...I’ll help you...pero alam mo namang walang-wala rin ako...” said Linda. “May sakit pa tong isa kong anak...tini-tigdas...”

“Okay lang mare...” Cherry replied. “Naiintindihan ko...”

“Pero, kumare, alam mo I have a cousin who is a supervisor at a sardines factory...” Linda offered. “Maybe he could get you in...”

“Naku...salamat naman, mare...kailangan ko talaga ng trabaho...”

“The only problem is...their plant is in an Industrial community in Malolos...”

“As in, Bulacan?”

“Yes, mare...”

“Paano iyon? I wouldn’t be able to afford the daily commute from there to here...” Cherry said.

“You won’t...but if you stayed there in Bulacan...” Linda hinted. “then you could save up on the travel expenses...”

“What about my son?”

“He’s 18...he can take care of himself...” Linda replied. “Plus, you’re doing this for him. Whatever money you’ll be earning from there...you can send it to him here for his needs. The money is really good there, my cousin said. They have open overtime...so you can earn twice or thrice than what you are earning here...”

“Talaga??” Cherry exclaimed.

“I tell you, kumare...it’s an opportunity too good to pass up...”

“I don’t know if I can do it, mare...” said Cherry. “I don’t know if I could leave my son alone here...”

“Just think about it, Cherry...” Linda said. “Call me right away if you changed your mind. MY cousin said he won’t know how long he can hold the position. IF I don’t have young ones, I would have gotten the job myself.”

“Thanks, kumare...I’ll talk to my son about it...”

.
.
.

But, Cherry didn’t. Gerald never knew of her plan.

That very day, Saturday; as soon as she had confirmed to Linda her decision, Cherry turned her cellphone off. She took out a dusty canvas bag from a makeshift aparador. She slowly filled it with her clothes. After which, Cherry settled on the table and wrote a letter.
.
.
----
.
.
Gerald,

Sorry if I didn’t have time to tell you. I was laid off at my job at the factory. Luckily, kumareng Linda found this job for me in Malolos, Bulacan. As you are reading this, I am on my way there. I will be staying there for a few months to try it out. Don’t worry, I’ll send you money regularly through your Tita Linda. But, I trust that you can take care of yourself without me. The good doctora will keep you busy on the daytime and I trust that you spend wisely the allowance you’ll be getting from her for your basic necessities. Forgive me, anak. I didn’t tell you about my plans, because I know you’ll never let me go. I really had to do this for the both of us, Gerald. This is the only way I could think of to take care of us. But, please anak, always don’t forget to look after yourself. Stay away from trouble and be good to Dr. Santos and her family.

I love you always. Don’t forget that.

Cherry

P.S. I brought my cell phone with me. Call me often.
.
.
.
----
Cherry sighed as she folded and placed the letter underneath the gasera by the table.

Before she left, she picked up the rose Gerald gave her the other day and placed it carefully on her plastic bag. A few tears left her eyes as she closed the doors to her humble abode.

This was the only instance Cherry had kept something from her son. This was the day she had left him.

.
.
.

Kim and her friends finally reached their destination. After several hours of driving, they reached Jim’s lakeside resthouse in Tagaytay. It was a two-story villa overlooking the famed Taal Lake and volcano.

“Wow...this is life...” Kim exclaimed as she opened the big windows and in the view.

The view of the smallest volcano in the Philippines was so breathtaking.

Aki moved close to Kim and wrapped her in his arms. “Do you like it here, babe?”

“Of course I do!”

“I’m glad...because this is going to be a nice and romantic getaway for us...I promise...”

“I’m looking forward to that...” Kim said with a smile.

“Talaga?” Aki teased.

“OO naman, otherwise...I won’t be here...”

“Kimmy, do you love me?”

Kim thought for a second and said, “Yes, of course...why ask?”

“Wala lang...”confessed Aki. “I just wanted to hear it from you...”

“Eh ikaw?” Kim asked.

“Siyempre...love na love kita...” Aki beamed.

“Gaano mo ako kamahal?” Kim asked.

“What kind of a question is that?”

“Just answer my question...” Kim challenged him. “I want to hear what you have to say...”

“I love you enough to know that I probably would die if I don’t have you on my side...” said Aki.

Kim smiled. The guy wasn’t poetic, she conceded that. But how much more concessions should she make in their relationship?

.
.
.

The sky was already in its bloody orange state when Agot personally drove Gerald back to their house. As usual, the friendly mood ensued during their ride.

“So, how did you find our session today?” Agot asked.

“IT was good, po...I had lots of fun...”

“Mabuti naman...we’ll continue on Monday, okay...”

“Sige po...gusto ko po iyon...”

“What have you learned from our session today?”

“A lot of things po, Tita...a lot of things about myself...” Gerald smiled back at her.

“Good...we will have more of these kind of sessions. The goal is by the end of these, you will have a thorough understanding of yourself...okay ba?”

“Yes, Tita...”

They have finally reached Tondo. Gerald was so excited to get out of the car and greet his mother. HE was clutching a bag full of groceries Agot bought for the two them. As he entered his house, the loneliness of his singular presence greeted him. There was no more Cherry that awaits him.

He walks over to the table. He reads the letter. Tears fall from his eyes as he read each line. His own mother has left him...

As she was about to drive away, Agot notices a paperback book Gerald has left in her car. IT was already old and crumbly to the touch. Instinctively, Agot knew the book must have meant a lot to him so she immediately stopped her car and put it in reverse. She needed to give it back to him.

As she entered the shanty, she sees him weep. The way he was pining over a piece of paper melted Agot’s heart. Her sympathy went out to him completely. Despite his manly exterior, he is all but a boy. But Agot saw something in the way he cried, it was as if there was some resolve in his every sob. Strange but, she actually saw his crying as more of a strength than a sign of weakness.

“What happened?” Agot asked.

“Inay...she left me...” cried Gerald.

Agot could feel his pain. The way he cried over his mother made her heart ache. She began to reflect on her own family. IF she was gone, will they weep for her like that?

Gerald handed Agot the letter. She struggled to read it past her tears. Agot eventually added a few more blotches to the already tear-wet paper. Agot could feel Cherry’s love in every line of that letter. She was making a sacrifice for him. Cherry loved her son so much, she could bear not seeing him just to make his life better. And for that, Agot considers Cherry a very noble woman.

“What am I going to do now?” Gerald asked.

Agot placed her hand over his shoulder and pulled him close.

Without any forethought Agot said, “You’re going to live with us...for a while...”

.
.
.
.
.
.
______

March 29, 2009