Of Luck and Fortune

Something Special
.
.
.

Kim went to her class the next day with last night’s run-in with her mom bearing in her mind.

“O, ba’t parang kalbaryo yang mukha mo?” asked her best friend Pauline Lopez.

“It’s my mom...” Kim answered meekly as she takes the seat beside her friend.

“Hmm...another encounter with monster mom, huh?”

Kim nodded. “She found out that we skipped classes the other day. Apparently, Dean Zaragoza called her up...you know how those two are good friends.”

“Gee...sis, when can you get a life of your own?” sighed Pauline.

Pauline Lopez had been friends with Kim ever since the latter could remember. She is the daughter of a prominent family whose real business Kim had no idea what. Pauline is a bit pudgy but has a really pretty face. The liberal-minded 17 year-old has been Kim’s constant companion through times of difficulty.

“Speaking of getting my own life...my mom grounded me again...” Kim replied.

“Gosh...sis, I feel so bad for you. Thank God my mom is not so cruel!”

“Alam mo, sis...I wish sometimes I had my Tita Mylene as my mom...” Kim said with a dry smile.

“Gaga ka ba?” laughed Pauline. “Ipagpalit ba ang nanay...”

“It’s just that sometimes...she treats me like her patient rather than her child...”

Seeing that her friend was more affected than usual, Pauline leaned on towards Kim and gave her a good squeeze on the shoulder.

“Kimmy, just understand your mom...she may have been too busy at work.”

“If that was the case, then she had been busy all her life...” Kim replied with a more sullen look.

Pauline knew what Kim’s relationship with her mom was like. Ever since they were young, Kim would always complain of not getting enough affection from her mother. They would fight constantly, especially with Kim, being as hard-headed as her mom. More often times than not, Kim would come in to class affected and out of focus. Pauline would always be on her side to help her.

“I guess you have not told her about our little camping trip?” asked Pauline.

“Nope...how could I?” Kim chagrined. “After she slapped me and gave me a good scolding...I didn’t think it would be a good idea to ask her permission...”

“She slapped you?” Pauline’s eyes were animated.

“Why? You didn’t think she was capable of it?” Kim answered sarcastically.

“No...maybe...I don’t know...but did she really slap you?”

“Yeah, she did...but it’s my fault really...I kinda got into her nerve...” Kim replied. “Nabigla talaga siya...”

“But she shouldn’t have done that!” Pauline said.

“Alam ko...pero what can we do? We’re just kids...we can’t choose our parents...”

Pauline didn’t reply anymore. With the pain Kim was feeling, she can’t think of anything appropriate to say.

“Paano na ngayon yan?” Pauline said.

“What about?”

“Our camping trip?” Pauline answered. “The boys are really excited about it. Jim and Aki were talking earlier about how excited they are of the weekend. Imagine, this is the first real break we had since high school graduation.”

Jim Torres is Pauline’s boyfriend. They had been together since they were 12. He and Kim’s boyfriend, Aki, are best friends too. The foursome had been classmates from elementary school all the way to high school. Even their parents are close friends and business partners.

“Who says I’m not coming?” Kim said with a mischievous smile.

“What about Tita Agot?”

“I don’t need her permission...”

“Baka naman mapagalitan ka lalo niyan?” asked Pauline.

“Okay lang. Sanay na ako...”

“How will you get out, aber?”

“Ewan ko. Bahala na si Batman...”Kim replied.

“But, friend...against Tita Agot...I’m afraid batman doesn’t stand a chance...” giggled Pauline.

.
.
.

“You’re what?” Agot exclaimed. “Let me get this clear. Are you firing me?”

“No, Dr. Santos...” replied Rolando Bareirra, one of the partners in the clinic. “What we’re saying is that you may need a break...a vacation...”

Rolando “Rolly” Bareirra is the company’s CEO. He was appointed by the board of directors several years ago. He is a heavy set, balding man in his 50’s. Agot had known him since she had started with Western Wellness. From back then, the clinic was just a small business specializing in health and wellness. Through the years, especially with Agot’s high-end clientele, the clinic grew to the successful venture it was now.

“I wasn’t born yesterday Rolly...I know what a vacation means...”

“The board seriously thinks you need a rest...” said Rolly.

“Was this because of the politician client of mine who committed suicide?” Agot said.

“TO be blunt about it, yes it is...that and some other things as well!”

“But it’s not my fault that his wife caught him cheating!”

“The board of directors felt that the situation could have been averted, Dr. Santos.”

“Are you saying I’ve been negligent?” Agot exclaimed.

“No we’re not saying that...we just felt that the company could not afford another media backlash of that nature. This is us, doing doing damage control.”

“It’s not fair, Rolly...it’s not my fault...”

“But his wife thinks it is your fault...she’s saying that the anti-depressant pills he was given may have caused him to take his life!”

“Rolly...you know pretty damn well that it’s not true...”

“But, at least, you don’t have to worry about that now, Dr. Santos...” sighed Rolly Barreira. “Our lawyers took care of her. She’s not gonna sue the clinic.”

“But, because of that...” deduced Agot. “You’re suspending me...”

“If you’d like to call it that...then yes. We are suspending you...”

“This is not fair, Rolly. You know that. I built this place up from scratch. All of you are earning lots of money because of me...”

“We know that Agot, that is why we want you to take some time off. We truly feel that you are overworked. IT’s clouding your judgment and is starting to affect your work. You looked stressed...you look upset all the time...Frankly, we got a handful clients who are not satisfied with the way you handled their cases...”

“Rolly, you know well enough that this is what I do best...” said Agot. “Without it, what am I going to do?”

“I don’t know, Mrs. Santos!” admitted Rolly. “Maybe spend some time with your family...write a book...or travel. It’s really up to you...who knows, it might do you good...”

“When can I come back?” said Agot.

“The board wants you to take the whole summer off. We’d like to have you back in August.”

“It’s only March.” Agot answered. “What the heck am I supposed to do in five months?”

“I’m pretty sure you can figure something out,” replied Rolly.

Agot was stunned. Though she had many times thought of possibly taking some time off work, but it never really hit her until now. She had been working for this firm since after med school. For the first time in life, Agot was faced with the reality of having no work or career. It was if, she had no purpose. Frankly, it really scared her. It made her feel...useless.

.
.
.

Back in the slums of Tondo, Cherry Garcia could not be happier than this morning.

She woke up that day learning she had won 500 bucks from “Jueteng.”

“Nay, don’t you have work today?” asked Gerald, who himself is getting ready for his afternoon shift.

“Wala, anak...we didn’t have a job order.” Cherry replied somberly. "Our boss called your Tita Linda this morning...she came by earlier to tell me the GOOD news..."

Linda Solis is the foreman in the textile mill Cherry is working for.

"Did they say when you are going back to work?" asked Gerald.

"Wala pa daw balita..." replied Cherry. "They said they will inform us through Linda..."

“Ganoon ba?” said Gerald. “Di bale nay, who knows, I might get extra money today...”

“You don’t have to worry, Gerald...” chided Cherry. “Look...I won some money from the lottery today. This should take care of our week’s food.”

“Really?”

“Look...” Cherry pulled out a wad of almost rotting 10 peso bills. “I passed by Kumpareng Minyong earlier today and he told me that the numbers I had been betting on these last few months finally won...”

“But, Nay, you never ever won on those things until now...”

“Paano kinokontra mo!”

“Nay, I’m just saying it would be better if you save your money.”

“Hay naku anak...we should be thankful that I placed my bet everyday because if I didn’t then we wouldn’t have anything to eat for the week...”

“I guess you really have to thank God for your wretched luck...” Gerald chuckled.

“Anak...for us poor people. Our belief in luck is the only thing that keeps us going. Get that away from us and we will become like our criminal neighbors. People who steal, kill and die for money, have lost every hope that their luck can change the conventional way. So, don’t blame me if I gamble whatever I have little left for that one chance to win big...”

“Well, congratulations on your win, Inay...”

“You’ve never believed me ever, have you?”

Gerald gave his mom a patronizing snigger.

“Don’t underestimate luck Gerald. Who knows...today might be the day our fortunes will finally turn around...”

“Sana nga, inay...sana nga!” Gerald said with a deep sigh.

.
.
.