The New Believer

Something Special
.
.
.
.
.
ON the other side of Metro Manila, the sisters Agot and Mylene arranged to meet for lunch.

The moment Agot entered the restaurant, she was already skeptic of the person Mylene wanted to introduce to her.
As she was ushered into the main dining area by the waiter, Agot saw Mylene and waived at her.

She hastily walks over to them. There she saw Mylene’s companion --- a handsome young charmer, which completely took her by surprise.

Agot was pleasantly amazed to see Mylene laughing heartily at the personable young fellow. Agot never knew her sister had that much humour in her. Mylene was the serious kind and Agot couldn’t believe that her sister appreciates any humour at all. But now, how this boy has charmed her into a giddy state, Agot could never understand.

As Agot appraised Mylene’s guest, she had to agree with some of Mylene’s prior assessment. First, the boy didn’t look a day over 18 and he was indeed very handsome. His hair was trimmed neatly and his face was devoid of any pock marks. Agot took a glance at his collar and it was clean. The sneakers that he was wearing were not new but were obviously brushed and washed to make them look not as old as they were. That means the boy was well-groomed and takes care of himself. His most outstanding feature however was his wide, clear eyes. They are very engaging to look at. They were the kind that can easily capture one’s attention the moment one looks at them. Like Mylene, Agot was captivated by his eyes too.

“Hi, Ate Agot...this is Gerald Garcia...” Mylene introduced.

Agot extended her hand. “Hello Gerald, it’s nice to meet you...”

Gerald stood up and gripped her hand firmly, “It’s my pleasure, po...”

Agot took notice of the gesture. The boy was well-mannered.

“Mylene...before we get to what we came here to do...gusto ko, kumain muna tayo...”

“O sige, ate...” said Mylene. “Gutom na rin kasi ako...I bet Gerald is hungry too...”

“Hindi naman, po...”

Agot waived at the waiter, who came almost immediately. He wrote down Mylene and Agot’s order. Gerald meanwhile was struggling with the menu.

“O Gerald, don’t be shy...” Agot said.

“Tita...I don’t know any of these dishes...” Gerald said to Mylene.

Mylene instantly apologized, “How insensitive of me...Sorry, Gerald. But their beef casserole here is really good...”

“Did you say beef po?”

“Why? You don’t eat beef?” asked Agot caustically.

“NO maam. I don’t eat any meat...I only eat vegetables...”

“Ah ganon ba?” said Agot. “Waiter, could you get him your potato chowder and your ceasar salad...yung walang bacon please...”

The waiter nodded and left them.

“Matanong lang kita, Gerald...” Agot pried. “Ba’t hindi ka kumakain ng karne?”

“Nakasanayan ko lang po...” he said. “Ever since I was 12 or 13, I decided not to eat meat...gulay na lang po...”

“Vegetarian...wow!” said Mylene.
Agot rolled her eyes at her sister.

“Where I came from...meat is expensive. It’s not as if we have a choice...mas “in” sa amin ang maging vegetarian...” Gerald added.

Mylene chuckled.

“ Why....Where do live, Gerald?” Agot asked directly, looking at the boy straight in the eye.

Agot, from her experience, can dissect people’s personalities at the drop of a hat. She was so used to interviewing different types of people and their varied personalities. She was an expert at sizing up people for who they really are just by reading their facial expressions.

She wanted to see if there was something out of place with this boy. He seemed too polite to be real.

“Sa Tondo po...” he answered curtly.

“Really?” Agot was surprised. “How did my sister find you there?”

Mylene then recounted lengthily to Agot how she met Gerald and his mom at his home. She then revealed to Agot how she found out about Gerald’s uncanny ability while she was interviewing him. Mylene then recounted how she has convinced Gerald’s mom to allow him to take the IQ test. She also went on to discuss how Gerald fared on the exams that morning.

All throughout that time, Gerald remained quiet...and inattentive. It was as if he was bored.

Hearing her sister praise the youngster at every opportunity, Agot couldn’t not help but be cynical about Mylene’s findings.

“Mylene, giftedness is a pretty broad subject,” Agot explained. “You can hardly determine that by using one IQ test...”

“I know...that’s why I called you, Ate!” said Marlene. “I know you have more of a grasp in this subject!”

Mylene then detailed to Agot how Gerald got low scores on the EQ test.

“Oh, now that is more what I expected...” Agot revealed.

“Why? Is it normal for gifted children to experience that?”
Agot looked at the boy. His eyes were roaming around the restaurant. His attention was somewhat caught by the restaurant’s water display.

Agot leaned over to Mylene, “Mylene, I think he has Aspergers...”

Asperger’s syndrome is a mild form of autism.

“No way!” Mylene exclaimed.

Gerald looked at them briefly and then turned to look at the water fountain.

“See...” Agot whispered.

“But he holds attention quite well...” Mylene whispered back.

“Basta...I have a feeling about this...” Agot said.

“So, Ate, can you help him...” asked Mylene.

“Help him with what?”

“He needs help. His EQ is not in the same level with his other skills.”

“I can’t help him much if he has Aspergers...” Agot said. “Impaired social skills is one of its manifestations..”

“We have not established that that he has Asperger’s yet...” said Mylene.

“Basta...even then...it would take time to evaluate him properly ...”

“Ate naman, I thought you could help him increase his EQ level...in that way he can truly be a well rounded boy and achieve his full potential...”

“What potential?” Agot sarcastically answered. “Memory retention? That fades in time...”

“Ate, Gerald can do more than that!”

Agot was not entirely convinced. It’s natural for her sister to be so impressionable. She had not seen as much deranged people as she has.

She turned her attention to the boy.

“Gerald, how many books can you read a day?” Agot asked out of curiosity.

“About 4 or 5...on a good day...” he said.

“What is your favourite book?”

“ A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking...” Gerald said.

“Why?”

“Because it’s the only book I couldn’t understand...” he said.

Agot chuckled. She couldn’t gauge though if he was just being honest or sarcastic. She wanted to test his knowledge further.

“Do you like geography too?” Agot asked.

“Yes...a little bit...” he said shyly.

“Sige...I have a friend in living in the Faroe Islands...” said Agot. “Do you know which country does that island belong to...”

“Denmark...” he answered.

Mylene beamed. Agot, however, was determined to prove her sister wrong.

“Do you like science?” asked Agot.

“Yes I do...”

“Which subject?”

“Chemistry...”

“Who’s your favorite chemist?”

“I like Marie Curie...she was awarded both the Nobel prize for Physics and Chemistry. She spent all her life studying radioactivity and discovered two elements in the process. She died studying science...”

“I must say I’m not that familiar with Chemistry and Marie Curie...” Agot said defeatedly. “What did she die of?”

“She got leukemia from being exposed to too much radiation...”

Agot must say the boy knows his stuff. But, she still wasn’t fully convinced.

Just as she was to ask another question, Mylene’s cell phone rang...

“Hello...” Mylene said. Pause. “Why did you call me here...”

Based on the sound of the voice emanating from her phone, the speaker on the other line was clearly male.

“No, I can’t go there now. I’m with a client...” Mylene continued. “I said...I’m with a client...”

Sensing that Agot and Gerald were looking at her, Mylene excused herself and stood up.

Agot turned her attention to Gerald. He was following Marlene with his gaze, which was quite strange.

“What is it about my sister?” Agot asked.

“Uh...nothing...” said Gerald. “She just looks...very upset...”

“How do you know?”

“I just know...” Gerald answered briefly.
Agot felt a bit derided.

“Gerald, can I ask you a personal question?”

“Yes po...”

“Do you think you’re...for lack of a better word...normal?” Agot asked.

“Hindi po...”

“So...you feel that you are cut above most kids your age?”

“To a certain degree po...” he said with quiet confidence.

“Tell me...how do you think you acquired these special abilities?”

“For years po, doktora, I tried to find out things about myself...” he said. “ I tried to understand why I am like this...why I thirst knowledge like no other kid do. You can say that for years, I was struggling to find my identity. Then one day, may isang libro po akong nabasa...that was where I found a term for my giftedness...”

“So you really think you are a gifted?”

“Not in the way that you think I am...”

“Really?” Agot sneered. “Sige nga...In what way are you gifted?”

“I think I’m a Crystal Child...” Gerald said.

“Crystal Child?” Agot exclaimed. “You mean that New Age mumbo jumbo stuff?”

Gerald looked offended. “I believe I am one...”

“That branch of pseudo-science is a hoax...” she answered with a laugh. “It’s based on a myth...”

“No it’s not!!!” Gerald shouted. His voice boomed to a point that a number of guests dropped their utensils in fright.

Agot was shocked by his change in temper. The way he went from being quiet to suddenly being angry, made Agot shudder.

“I’m sorry...” Gerald apologized. “I get carried away sometimes...”

“Does that kind of outburst happen to you often?”

“Paminsan-minsan po. Especially if people don’t believe what I say...” Gerald retorted.

For once, Agot didn’t know what to say. She didn’t feel slighted at all. She just felt dumb for the stunt she was trying to pull. The boy was indeed the genuine article.

For a moment, Agot and Gerald didn’t speak. They were too embarrassed to even look at each other...much more so, talk.

Fortunately, it was at that time Mylene came back to their table. She announced, “Guys, I have to go...”

“Go where?” Agot asked.

“One of our volunteers...she needs help in setting up a clinic for tomorrow...”

“Ganoon ba?”

“Ate, could you please do me a favour and give Gerald a ride home?”

Agot didn’t like the idea but she had to. “Sige...I”ll give him a ride...”

“No, Tita...huwag na po. Magba-bus na lang po ako...” Gerald said.

“NO, I insist...” Agot replied.

“Ge, okay lang kay ate iyan! Sige na...alis na ko...” Mylene said as she hurriedly went out of the restaurant.
Gerald gave Mylene a curious glance. IT was if he knew something that Agot didn’t.

Agot, however, dismissed the aside thought and called the waiter for their bill.

“Five hundred forty seven fifty and fifty-eight cents...” Gerald said.

“What did you say?” Agot said.

“I said, 547.50 pesos. That’s our bill...”

The waiter arrived with the cheque on hand. Agot opened the small wallet and found a smaller quantity than what the boy had said.

She beamed at him, “You’re wrong...”

“No...I already added the 10% VAT and the 15% TIP you’re going to add to it...” he answered.

Agot, for curiosity’s sake, took out the small calculator on her bag. After a brief calculation, she arrived at the figure Gerald mentioned!

Agot looked up at Gerald in extreme fascination.

Gerald, meanwhile, was smiling at her triumphantly.

“Show off...” Agot said to him, as she placed the exact amount on the envelope.

.
.
.

BY the time they reached Tondo, Agot must have asked Gerald a million questions. The more time she spent with Gerald, the more she rejected her earlier assessment of him. He was not the borderline autistic she first thought him to be; Agot knew that now. HE was just...strange; but in a nice and endearing kind of way. Agot’s scepticism of him was now replaced by complete and utter enthralment.

Agot could not believe that in such short a time that she had known him, he already caused her to think differently. The boy’s out-of-this-world ideas sparked a side of Agot she has never seen for a long while...she was almost starting to think of the "what if's and why not's" once again.

These last few years, Agot had spent her days and nights in an almost routine fashion. Work and office became such a rut for her. In the office, she got tired of the usual boring cases she was handling. It was pretty much the same at home. Her mind stagnated to a slow stupor she never knew she could recover from. But now, with this boy, she was intellectually stimulated. It was as if a fire in her belly was suddenly ignited.

“Here we are...” Agot announced.

“Thanks for the ride...” Gerald said curtly as he stepped off her car.

As he was about to enter his shanty, Agot called him back. “Wait, here’s my card...if you ever run into some problems...give me a call. Maybe, I could help...”

“Thanks...” Gerald smiled as he entered their modest home.

.
.
.
.
.
.
____

March 29, 2009
.
.
.
.
P.S. (FYI)

WHAT ARE CRYSTAL CHILDREN AND INDIGO CHILDREN?

The Crystal Children began to appear on the planet from about 2000, although some date them slightly earlier. These are extremely powerful children, whose main purpose is to take us to the next level in our evolution, and reveal to us our inner power and divinity. They function as a group consciousness rather than as individuals, and they live by the" Law of One" or Unity Consciousness. They are a powerful force for love and peace on the planet.

The Indigo Children have been incarnating on the Earth for the last 100 years. The early Indigos were pioneers and wayshowers. After World War II, a significant number were born, and these are the Indigo adults of today. However, in the 1970s a major wave of Indigos was born, and so we have a whole generation of Indigos who are now in their late twenties and early thirties who are about to take their place as leaders in the world. Indigos continued to born up to about 2000, with increasing abilities and degrees of technological and creative sophistication.

SOURCE: http://www.starchild.co.za/what.html