Waking Up Next to an Angel

Something Special
.
.
.

What would you do if you wake up next to a strange boy in your bed?

a)Will you shout and scream your head off?

b)Will you slap him on the face?

c)Will you call your mom and dad and cry?

d) None of the above.

.
.
.
____
.
.
.
If real life was like a quiz show, Kim was faced with those choices when she woke up the next morning. At first, her vision was trammelled and she had a hard time focusing. But just as her eyes settled on his kind face...her initial reaction was shock. Pleasant shock.

Who was this beautiful stranger on her bed?

Kim couldn’t move. Her mind froze and ceased to function. It took a while for her brain to process his debilitating presence. She stared directly into his closed eyes as their noses almost touched. Their warm breaths travelled from nostril to nostril...exchanging intimacy at every lungful of air. Their lips are only a few inches away from each other...and his were like magnets; polarizing every charged cell in her body...attracting hers into kissing him.

Seeing him sleep, Kim stared at him for the longest time. He was the most handsome boy she has ever seen. His nose was the perfect size. His lips were the ideal succulent type; blushed yet not too red, which Kim thinks could make any guy look like a girl. Even if his eyes were closed, Kim knew they’d be perfect too. Watching him doze off was the most thrilling thing Kim has ever done. Shivers went up and down her spine.

She tried to move slowly, but the moment she stirred, he moaned and cringed his face...as if he didn’t want her to break their connection. Kim was more than willing to oblige. She didn’t feel threatened at all by his presence. A face like that meant no harm. How could a cherub be a gargoyle in disguise? He can’t be. Her heart won’t let him so.

She must have been staring at him for a lifetime as the minutes willed on so slowly. Unknown to herself, she would smile as she sees his lips quiver at every snore...a snore so inaudible, Kim first thought that she was imagining it. But he does so at every other second, and she considers herself lucky to hear it. He sounded like a purring kitten, Kim thought.

Then, suddenly the stranger opened his eyes.

He smiled at her and said, “Hello...”

Kim was gobsmacked and stunned.

The first thing that came to her mind was: He caught her staring at him!

Kim immediately stood up and got herself out of the bed. An immediate sense of decorum made her grab the white linen bed cover and began enveloping it around her body, especially considering how shear her sleeveless top was.

She backed herself into a corner by the window and threatened to smack him with a book she have gotten hold from the bookcase. She knew he wouldn't even come close to her at that point, she just wanted to appear...affected.

Gerald meanwhile was left with nothing to cover himself. Kim had grabbed the blanket and he was unceremoniously exposed. Though he sleeps with a t-shirt on, he is not accustomed to wear anything other than a pair of really skimpy briefs. After a sudden realization that he was almost , Gerald grabbed a pillow in haste and scampered to the opposite wall from her. He bravely held the pillow in front him, in the meantime trying to keep a straight face.

“Who are you?” Kim asked.

“I'm Gerald...Gerald Garcia...” came the reply.

Kim at once thought that even his name was perfect. It suited his face to a point that Kim could have not thought of a better name for him.

“You must be Kim...” he said.

“Yes, I am...what are you doing here?”

“I am your mom’s student...I’ll be living here for a while...what are you doing here?”

“This is my room!” Kim exclaimed.

“Oh Sorry,” he said looking stupefied. “What I meant was, what are you doing here...today? Your mom and dad told me that you are going to be away for the weekend.”

“Yes, I thought I was...” Kim said with a sigh as the memories of the previous night entered her mind. “But I changed my mind...”

“Kim, what’s is it?” Gerald asked as he sees Kim’s troubled face. “Did I say something wrong?”

“No, I’m fine...long story...” Kim replied laconically.

Gerald wanted to reach out for her but in the process, he let go of the pillow.

Kim screamed, “Look out!”

Kim, meanwhile, tried to cover her eyes in vain. Her heart was racing and was quickly drying up.

“Ooops!” Gerald blushes as he readily picks up the truant pillow and covered himself once more. “Sorry...I forgot I was...”

“Just don’t do it again...” Kim groaned.

“I won’t...” Gerald promised. He was almost glad that the underpants he was wearing was the newest pair he had. Or else, she would have seen holes as large as five-peso coin on the other ones.

Seeing that she was quite keyed up, Gerald wanted to strike a conversation with her. But what do you say to a girl who right now thinks you are a raving maniac in briefs?

Uncomfortable silence ensued.

There seems to be a sea of difference between them now though only a couple of feet of floor space and a bed were the only things that stand between the two. Yet, Gerald could feel her heartbeat from across the room. Kim, meanwhile, felt very, very...agitated...like a gazelle sensing that the lion is near.

That quick moment of nervous excitement gave Gerald a chance to take a good look at her. She looked even more perfect than her photograph by the dresser. Her slightly dishevelled hair gave her an aura of a wild, restless energy that seems to permeate out of her every pore. Her eyes were bright and wistful. Her lips were the most luscious pair that he has ever seen. Every line and angle on her face seemed to be perfectly placed...like it was there for a reason. And that reason is, to attract him to no end.

One look at her feral, natural beauty, Gerald could not believe that it was the very same girl who lived in this very untidy room. It didn’t fit her physical nature to be as muddled and messed up as this room was. It was out of her character, he deduced. Hence, Gerald saw her as a mystery....a puzzle waiting to be solved.

“Ano pang hinihintay mo?” said Kim. “Ba’t patingin-tingin ka lang diyan?”

“Sorry...” Gerald answered cluelessly. “What do you want me to do?”

“My sweater...it’s on your side...”

Gerald picked up her pink sweater from the floor and tossed it to her.

“Thank you,” Kim said as she hastily put them on.

“Now, my turn...” Gerald said. “My pants are on your side...could you pass them to me...please...”

Kim did the same and tossed him his pants. She was languishing the moment when he tossed the pillow away, turned around and put on his trousers. For a moment, Kim swallowed heavily as she caught a glimpse of his strong, youthful buttocks.

“Anong tinitingnan mo?” Gerald asked, his eyes glinting.

“Wala no...ba’t naman ako titingin sa iyo?” Kim blushed profusely.

“I just thought you might have seen...something...” Gerald said awkwardly.

Kim felt her cheeks burn.

Though last night she was close to having with Aki, her moment now with Gerald, even though they were fully clothed, was the most intimate thing she has ever experienced. It was thrilling and exhilarating.

All of sudden they heard a knock on the door. It was Kim’s younger brother John Paul (nicknamed JP).

“Kuya Gerald, mom said breakfast is ready...”

Kim gave Gerald a sordid look.

“Wait, don’t come in...I’m not ready...” Gerald said in alarm.

“Okay...just come down when you’re ready then...” called out JP from the other side of the door.

“Yup...I’ll be there in a jiffy...” Gerald answered.
Kim sighed in relief as she hears footsteps walking away.

“He’s gone...” Gerald said.

“I need to get out of here...” Kim whispered back to him.

“Oo nga...” Gerald muttered. “What if your mom sees us here together? What would she think? I know nothing happened but I mean...we did sleep together all night...”
Before Kim could say anything, somebody spoke from behind the door.

“Kuya...sinong kinakausap mo?”

John Paul was back.

“Ah wala, JP...” said Gerald. “Kinakausap ko lang sarili ko...”

“Ah ganon ba?” John Paul remarked. “Wierd....pero o sige...bumaba ka na lang kung ready ka na...”

“Sige na, susunod na ko ...” replied Gerald.

Kim’s heart almost jumped out of her chest from the fright.

“That was close!” Gerald said.

Kim’s mind however was racing with thoughts.

“Oh my God,” Kim exclaimed. “It’s important that mom won’t know that I’ve gone home and slept here. I know what she’ll think...baka sabihin niya eh...”

“Don’t say it...” Gerald said.

“Okay...but that is for sure...yan ang iisipin niya...”

“You’re right...you better hide...” Gerald suggested.

“Ikaw kasi...ba’t hindi mo ako ginising kaagad...” Kim complained.

“Di ba, mas mauna ka pang gumising sa akin?”

He was right. Kim forgot about that. She however flashed him a sharp look as she started to panic unnecessarily.

“Naku...what will mom say...I’m dead...I’ll be grounded for the rest of the summer...” Kim rambled as she paced the room.

“Kim, calm down...it’s not as if we did something...bad...”

“You don’t know my mom, Gerald,” said Kim. “We might as well have done something if she knew that I slept here all night...with you!”

“Kim...you really need to calm down...” reminded Gerald.

“It’s all your fault!” Kim said.

“How is it my fault?”

“You should have locked the doors...” said Kim. “Maybe then I would have known that somebody else was in here...”

“Look, Kim...you, blaming me, is not helping. We need to think of a way to get you out of here...” Gerald offered.

“Yes...” agreed Kim. “But we have to do it fast! Anytime soon they’ll start to wonder kung bakit hindi ka pa bumababa...”

Gerald started to look for places she could hide. He looked under the bed, the closet, even the clothes hamper...none of them is suitable for cover.

“Kim, do you know how to climb?” Gerald asked as he looks down from the window.

“Bakit...what do you have in mind?” Kim asked.

Gerald once again surveyed the height of the window to the ground. Kim’s room was on the third floor. If she does it incorrectly, she will fall 15 feet into the ground...possibly breaking her lovely neck.

Gerald shook his head, he wanted to dismiss the thought. But it seems to be the only logical choice.

Kim, seeing what he was proposing she should do, protested heavily. “Oh no no no...I’m not climbing out of the window...”

“Kim...it’s our only chance...”

“I’ve never climbed down from anything that high before...what if I fall?”

“Look, don’t worry, I’ll help you...”

Kim was about to cry out of fear. It didn’t help that she was terrible with heights.

Then suddenly, another knock was heard from the door.

“Gerald, this is your Tita Agot...”

Gerald and Kim looked at each other. They have to act fast.

“Ah, Tita sandali lang po...”

“Ready na ang breakfast...ano ba ang ginagawa mo at ang tagal-tagal mong bumaba?”

“Sandali lang po, tita...bababa na ako promise...”

“Sige na at naghihintay ang pagkain...”

“Opo...” Gerald shouted back.

Gerald then turned to Kim, “Come on...akyat ka na...tapos pag-baba mo, sabihin mo sa kanila kararating mo lang...”

“Teka...hawakan mo ko, “ Kim said as she put one leg of the window sill. “Oh my God...”

“O, be careful...” Gerald said as he sees Kim struggling to hold on to his arm.

With one nervous push, Kim was able to get her other leg out of the window. She was now stepping on to the a piece of adobe stone designed to jut out of the wall.

“Kim, there’s a pipe beside you...”

“Where?”

“Open your eyes so you can see it!” Gerald answered. “I’ll hold your left hand as you reach for it with your right...”

With her eyes closed half of the time, Kim managed to grab hold of the drain pipe Gerald pointed at. She used that to slide her way down safely to the ground.

Gerald meanwhile was so relieved the moment Kim’s feet hit the grassy lawn. He closed the window and hastily made his way downstairs.

In the main dining room, Gerald saw the rest of the Santos family.

Enric was reading a newspaper while Agot was reading a magazine. Their son JP was busy munching on some sugary cereals while the little boy Kenneth was off to his own world. He was playing with a small plastic car on his high chair. It was a strange sight for Gerald. They were all there but neither one of them talking to each other.

“Good morning, everybody...” Gerald greeted.

“Kuya Gerald!” screamed JP excitedly. “Ba’t ang tagal-tagal mong bumaba?”

“Ha eh...kasi nagka-cramps kasi ang paa ko...ang sakit-sakit...di ako makatayo kaagad...” reasoned Gerald.

“Cramps?” remarked Enric.

“Opo...I often have those early morning especially if its cold...”

“You should have turned the air conditioner down then...” Agot said.

Gerald just shrugged his shoulders innocently.

“Honey, you should have taught him how to operate the aircon...” said Enric condescendingly.

“Oh yes...oo nga pala, nakalimutan kong ituro sa iyo kagabi...” Agot replied.

“Okay lang po, tita...makapal naman ang kumot ko...”

“Siguro kulang ka sa calcium, eto milk o...” Agot said.
Enric sneered at the remark.

Before Agot could retaliate, Kim came rushing in from the front door.

“Helloooo!” Kim greeted them excitedly.

“Ate Kim!” Kenneth jumped out of his seat and ran into her.

Kim crouched down and hugged him, “Na-miss mo ang Ate?

Kenneth nodded proudly.

The rest of the family members were surprised at their sudden exchange of affection.

“O anak, ba’t ang aga ng uwi mo?” said Enric. “I thought you won’t be coming home ‘til Tuesday...”

“Eh kasi Dad, I didn’t like their accommodations dun sa retreat house...the beds were really smelly and full of bedbugs...” Kim said. “So I decided to come home na lang...”

“Eeww....” commented JP. “I’m scared of bedbugs...”

“Oo nga...I couldn’t sleep all night...” fibbed Kim.

Fortunately, her family bought her story. Nobody asked about her sudden return after that.

“Sino naghatid sa iyo pauwi, anak?” asked Agot.

“Aki brought me home, mom...” Kim replied. “HE went home na rin...he didn’t come in na because he was tired too...”

All the while, Gerald was looking on fondly at Kim. His eyes were glued at her all troughout their exchange.

“Oh, sorry pala...” Agot slapped her forehead. “Anak, this is our guest Gerald. He has come to help me with a project of mine. He will be staying with us for the rest of the summer...”

“Really? Good...” Kim said with a smile.

“Ate...Kuya Gerald slept in your room last night...” John Paul revealed.

“That’s okay...” Kim said almost automatically.

Her response seemed to have puzzled the rest of her family.

“Hindi ka ba galit, Ate?” asked JP.

“Ba’t naman ako magagalit?” Kim answered.

Agot and Enric gave each other a disbelieving look. Normally, Kim would have been very angry at them knowing that someone has intruded into her space.

“Di bale anak...by this evening, ready na ang guest room...Gerald can sleep there na...”

“That’s fine...” Kim said. “What’s for breakfast?”

“Heto anak...madami niluto si Yaya. Umupo ka na...Gerald, come sit beside Kim...” suggested Agot.

Both Kim and Gerald took their places on the rectangular narra table. As they looked at each other, they both smiled.

“Nice to meet you, Gerald...” Kim said.

“Nice to meet you too, Kim...” Gerald replied.

“Kain ka na...” Kim said cheerfully as she sees Gerald’s mouth gaping.

Together, they ate their breakfast in silence.

They would occasionally break out into a smile or a giggle...especially if they remembered their little ordeal that morning. It was truly a moment shared --- a secret only the two of them knows.

Kim realized she had a narrow escape Saturday evening with Aki. She had another one early this morning with Gerald.

But the one with this strange, new boy...was the one close call she would remember the most.

.
.
.
.
March 31, 2009