Houseboat

Pretty Baby

I parked my bike under the single bare bulb at the end of the pier. Secured in chains of tiny shack .. A few empty boats strung up along a second nearby dock, we were alone. Completely alone.

I shouldn't have invited her to my place but considering her situation following a weird girl all alone to such an isolated place. Scooping up a handful of gym clothes, underwear and bedsheet, neatly arranging.. Before i knew it i was actualy cleaning and making up a space for her. 

 Unconciously combing my hair through my fingers and staked to the small kitchen to grab a beer. Drinking down half a bottle in one long pull, then rubbed the cold glass against my forehead to cool off. I didn't want a good inpression; I didn't want to make any impression. Hopefully she'll just grow tired of persuading and discourage by purposely leaving off the lights and my bed. I'll just let the poor girl sleep..

 

SP: "Chaelin?" Her voice was tentitive but carried softly through my ecoing walls. 

 

CL: Omo .. "Yeah, be right there"

 

I just stood and stared at her.. Even in the waning moonlight I didn't miss a small detail of her small frame as she walked in grace and balance. Her movements told that she's comfortable with water as she was on land. 

 

SP: "Did you invited me here to stare at me all night?"

 

CL: "Why do think we'll do all night?"

 

SP: "Hopefully to talk about my proposition?" She said stubbornly

 

I smiled at her aeygo and took another step.

 

CL: "I don't think anyone has ever gone so much trouble to.. Pro.. Position me before."

 

She took the tiniest steps backward, then jerked to a stop as her back bumped against the railing.

 

SP: "But.. your  actions anyone does have .. Have been bothered" she said in tension and trace of despiration in her voice 

 

I felt a moment of regret pushing her, although watching her react just now was too pleasurable to my eyes.. And pleasure was a rare commodity in my life..

 

I clenched my hand into tight fists against the desire to my fingers down through her wet hair the narrow woven ridges of fabric that clung wonderfully through her fresh scented body.. 

 

CL:"Do you want coffee?"

 

SP:"Um.. I love too but I might puke again and I have to drive the way back to Seoul tonight.. this morning, I guess"

 

It was innocent on how she said it but on the tip of the tongue to ask if she intended to stay the night. No more teasing, she wasn't a type for hit-and-run .

I cleared my throat

 

CL:"Water?"

 

SP:"Yes please.. Thank you Chaelin-nyah"

 

I can't help but smile to her politeness and pulled a pitcher of water out of the fridge. Dropping ice cubes in two glasses, filled them and went back to her. Handing a glass, then settled on the stool in front of the small rattan bar, resting my elbows on the arm chair and propping my feet on the small stool

 

CL:"Why hashoil? Do you want to get arrested?"

 

She gulped and took a small sip of her water

 

SP:"I run a private institute that provides help to people, mostly children, with emotional and physical disabilities. Some of them are autistic, some have Down's syndrome, others have cerebral pulsy, learning disorders, or may have be recuperating from major injuries. I get all of my funding from private groups"

 

She took another sip and paused,

I fell silent

 

CL:"I still don't understand the urgency, and we can't legalize cannabis in Seoul left alone in Korea.. Just let the Minzy live in the United States there are chosen part of the state that legalize cannabis"

 

SP:"We can't do that.. Its easy to say than to act on Chaelin-nyah.. It's not just Minzy.. The school is very costly to run, and because our programs are still considered experimental from the scientific viewpoint, we have to rely solely on investors to keep operating.. Many of our supporters are initially drawn to us by local and national media coverage of some of our unique methods"

 

CL:"And my research gave a positive outcome considering Minzy was my patient on clinical trials"

 

SP:"Yes! " she grabbed both my hands in enthusiasm   "Will you join Bommie and me?" 

 

She breathed a small sigh of relef. Maybe just maybe getting involved would be easier than I thought

 

CL:"Why do you have to drag her name all the time?"

 

SP:"Because she believes in your abilities.. We can change and give a betterlife to these kids Chaelin-nyah"

 

CL:"call me CL" 

 

SP: "CL-roo" she said softly I couldn't respond without melting

 

What in the world did a petname came out of thin air?

 

CL:"Omoni what did you just called me?" I asked in surprise

 

I touched my nape in doubts and put my empty glass on the bar. With my deceptive movements I stood calm and walked around the table, using my eyes, glaring over to the fullest potential. She needs to get through my head. I'm  the kind of girl who played mind blackjacks with.. 

 

SP:"Are you joining 21st inc.?"

 

CL:"Once, a long time ago, I made the mistake of not listening to my instincts. Trust me Ajumma when I tell you that the result was ugly. I swore to never make that mistake again."

 

I bent over and rested one hand on the back of the sofa, bringing myself closer inches to her small pretty baby face. 

 

CL:"My instincts are telling me that something's real wrong with your story. You're either lying or not talking to me about the whole deal." I moved closer staring at her lips. "Either way, ajumma, you've got about thirty seconds to correct that or find someone else to help you."

 

SP:"If I tell you everything..wil you-" she said stuggering

 

I stared intently into her eyes, as if trying to solve some mysterious puzzle. I wanted to know and I don't want to apologize for it.. Sensing struggling over whether to help her or just simply HELP her harness energy.. So intently on her eyes it was difficult to remember how to breathe.