Chapter 2.

That XX. (그 XX)

 


The doorbell rang and Tiffany quickly ran to the door to open it. Taeyeon smiled when a pout greeted her.

“What took you so long?” Tiffany went to the side to make way for Taeyeon.

Taeyeon remembered what she saw earlier and sighed. Tiffany heard the sigh and followed Taeyeon to the kitchen after locking the doors.

“What’s with the sigh? Did something happen on your way here?” Tiffany took out the Tupperware from Taeyeon’s bag. She then heats it in the microwave before looking back at Taeyeon, who’s looking into space now.

“Hey.” She snapped her fingers in front of Taeyeon’s face, making the latter jump. “What happened?”

Taeyeon saw the worried look and sighed. “Nothing. I just saw my old crush when I was on my way here. He wanted to meet up sometimes. I don’t know how to face him.”

She wasn’t exactly lying. She really met her old crush, but in was just less than 5 minutes. She didn’t even give him much thought because she knew Tiffany was waiting for her. She just gave her number to the guy since she’s on rush.

“Really?!” Tiffany’s loud voice boomed in the kitchen. “Wow! This is your chance now! When are you going to meet him? Did he give you his number? Call him now!”

The sound of the microwave rang through the kitchen. Taeyeon silently thanked the microwave for saving her from the questions of her excited friend.

“The food’s ready.” Taeyeon placed the food onto the dining table. “Let’s eat.”

“Yey food!” Tiffany said happily while sitting on the chair. She waited for Taeyeon to sit in front of her before attacking the food.

“Whoa. Easy there.” Taeyeon chuckled at the hungry girl. “Eat slowly.” She said and received an eye smile in return. “So, how’s your day?” Taeyeon asked absent-mindedly.

“Oh! Ooh!” Tiffany swallowed her food. “Nichkhun brought me to the mall to go shopping! He bought me a lot of new clothes! Oh my gosh you should see it. I think most of it will look good on me.”

Taeyeon smiled at the girl whose eyes are sparkling. “I don’t need to check them.” Tiffany cutely glared at her. “You’ll look in anything anyway.” She continued making the girl in front of her blush.

“Whatever.” Tiffany tried her blush by rolling her eyes. “So as I was saying, after shopping, he walked me home. Too bad we couldn’t go out for dinner but oh my gosh! The walk on our way here was enough for me. He was holding my hand. It’s like we’re in a romantic movie.”

Taeyeon felt her chest tightening but she smiled nonetheless. She should be used to it by now but everytime Tiffany would talk about Nichkhun, she can’t help but feel it again. She sighed.

Tiffany heard the sigh and looked at Taeyeon and saw the bitter smile on her best friend’s face.

“Taetae?”

“Oh?” Taeyeon looked at Tiffany’s confused face. “Ah, I spaced out again, didn’t I? Sorry.” She smiled cheekily.

“You know Taetae. You’ve been spacing a lot lately.”

“Y-yeah.. Sorry. Must be because of always hanging out with Sica.” Taeyeon reasoned.

“Can’t be.” Tiffany frowned at the girl in front of her who’s looking at her food, not her. “You’re not hanging much around her. You’re not even that close to begin with. What’s the problem? I asked Sunny and others. They said that you’re not spacing out when you’re with them.”

“It’s because I’m not hanging out with them these past few days, or weeks.” Taeyeon looked at Tiffany defensively.

“And you said that you’re always hanging out with Sica.” Taeyeon avoided Tiffany’s eyes and looked at her food again. “Why are you spacing out when you’re with me?”

“No, I’m not.”

“Yes, you are.” Tiffany said firmly.

“No, I’m not!” Taeyeon shouted, making the girl in front of her flinch. She immediately felt guilty. “Sorry. Look..,” Taeyeon sighed. “Can we just drop this? This makes no sense.”

“Excuse me? First, you only space out only when you’re with me, and now you just shouted at me for no reason? I thought we are best friends! Why are you keeping something from me?!”

“Right. Best friend.” Taeyeon muttered but Tiffany still heard it.

“What? So now you don’t what to be my best friend? Is that it?” Tiffany dropped her spoon with a sound.

“What?” Taeyeon realized that Tiffany must’ve heard what she said. “It’s not that!” Taeyeon shouted. “Why wouldn’t I want to be your best friend? Seriously, this is bull.”

“Then why?! It’s either you said that because you don’t want to be my best friend anymore, because you’re getting sick of me, or because you want to be more than that. But I’ll just go with the former since I don’t think the second one is possible.” Tiffany looked at Taeyeon nervous face, she furrowed her eyebrows. “It’s not the second one.. Isn’t it?” Tiffany asked softly.

“M-mwo?” Taeyeon quickly regained her posture. “N-no way!”

“I don’t think you’re being honest right now. Do you like me Taeyeon?” Tiffany asked softly. Taeyeon heard the way Tiffany called her and know that Tiffany’s not in the mood already.

“I told you it’s not that! I was just thinking of what I saw earlier.” Taeyeon blurted out without thinking.

“Earlier? You’re spacing out on me because of your old crush?” Tiffany asked.

Taeyeon sighed. “Looks like I need to tell her the truth then.” She said in her mind.

“No, there’s more than that. I saw Nichkhun on my way here..” She started and didn’t fail to notice that curious look she got from Tiffany. “He’s with a girl.”

“Okay. So what’s wrong with that?” Tiffany asked although she knows already what Taeyeon meant. “I go out with our friends too, who are boys.” She reasoned.

“His arms were around the girl, same goes for the girl. Her arms were at his waist.”

“Must be friends.” Tiffany said nonchalantly although her heart was breaking from what she heard.

“Tippani..”

“What?!” Tiffany finally exploded. “You want me to think that he’s cheating? Taeyeon, give him more credits can you?! He’s my boyfriend! I believe him!”

“More than me?”

Tiffany saw the hurt in her best friend’s eyes. She immediately felt guilty.

“It’s not that I don’t trust you. You know that.” Tiffany said softly. “What I’m saying is that I trust him so much too. I believe that he won’t cheat on me.”

“Yeah. You trust him so much that you can’t even believe in what I say.” Tiffany was about to answer back Taeyeon beat her to it. “Our friends even say the same thing about him, you know.” Taeyeon said softly looking down.

 

Tiffany stayed quiet knowing that Taeyeon was right. Their friends are always saying that once in a while, they saw Nichkhun with another girl. But she still chose to believe on her boyfriend more than their friends. Tonight was the first time that Taeyeon spoke about seeing Nickhun with another girl.

“Should I.. believe them?” She asked herself. Her other friends saying that he’s cheating is normal, but Taeyeon saying things like that is different. She knows that Taeyeon won’t say something that would hurt her unless it’s for her own good. She sighed. She doesn’t know what to do.

 

Taeyeon looked up when she heard the sigh and saw the hurt in Tiffany’s eye. She would do anything to prevent to hurt her best friend, the person who she cherished the most in the world. She stood up making the girl in front of her looked at her.

 

“Look ppani-ah.” She started. “I’m sorry. I must’ve seen another person”

Tiffany knows Taeyeon lied for the sake of her but she stayed quiet.

Taeyeon went near her and kneeled down. “I gonna go now. It’s late. Don’t stay up late okay? Don’t think about what I’ve said. Blame my poor eyesight.” She tried to joke and chuckled awkwardly before hugging the girl- who hugged her back. “I’m sorry again. Goodnight. I love you ppani-ah.” So much. She thought. She kissed her forehead after releasing her from the hug.

--

 

She stood up and made her way to the door. She smiled once again before leaving the apartment.

Tiffany looked at the now gone figure before letting her tears fall. Why do you care so much Taeyeon-ah? She said in her mind.

She picked her phone up before dialling.

“Hello? Tiff?” Tiffany heard the music blasting on the background of Nichkhun’s voice but dismissed it, knowing where he is already.

“We need to talk tomorrow.”