Chapter 2

Across the Window

EunMi & Haemi had chattered away at the cafe surrounded by the warm and arousing aroma of sweet pastries and alluring coffee.
They talked about whatever they could until Haemi checked her phone for the time.

It was already 4:37 pm. 
An hour had passed.


"EunMi-ah, I'm sorry but I've got to go now. I promised my mom I'd be back in an hour. I should probably help her with dinner. We have these neighbors who just moved in, and I want to greet them later, too." Haemi said.

"Oh, it's alright. I'll text you later!" EunMi exclaimed cheerfully, waving back to her friend as she looked back down to read her book.


The cafe was just a few minutes away from Haemi's house and she got home quickly.


"Eomma! I'm home!" She exclaimed."Do you need help with dinner?"  

"Thanks, dear, but I already finished preparing." Her mother replied.

"Really? It's still early, though." Haemi muttered.

"You can just hang outside for a while, maybe. I planted some new flowers yesterday and I think I forgot to water them earlier because I got a call from your aunt and I got distracted. Could you water them, please honey?" Mrs. Yoo asked.

"Of course! Are they... the ones near the rose bush?" Haemi asked.

Her mom nodded as her daughter rushed outside.


Haemi quickly watered the pretty, newly grown flowers and stared at it for a while. Soon it would bear more flowers and become as big as the other flower plants in her mother's garden. 
She looked at the first bloomed flower. It was a pretty lavender color. 


Suddenly, Haemi heard music come from the other side of the brick wall. The neighbor's backyard.

"Hm..?" 
Haemi wondered if the new residents were done with all the packing and wondered if she should bring cupcakes as a welcoming gift.

She rushed back indoors and put three, deliciously made cupcakes from the pantry into a small box.
She'd already told her mother about the idea, and she obviously agreed.


As Haemi slowly approached the front gate of her new neighbor's house, she wondered if it was alright if she welcomed them.

Hesitantly, she brought up her finger and rang the doorbell.
After a few seconds she heard light footsteps hurry towards the gate.
Suddenly, it opened up. And there stood a really tall, handsome guy.


"Auntie you're back so earl--" The boy stopped in the middle of his sentence to realize it wasn't his aunt who stood at the enterance.

"Um... Hi." Haemi awkwardly greeted.

"Wait, I'm sorry but may I ask who you are?" The guy asked.

"Umm, I'm Yoo Haemi. You guys just moved in, and I decided it would be alright to bring you a welcoming gift..?" She replied shyly.


She was really outgoing and friendly when she was around people she was extremely close to, like her family and best friends, but they had to be EXTREMELY close.

She held a different personality around strangers and people at school whom she wasn't close with. 

She was rather seen as awkward and quiet. She seemed a little cold and like loner. She was just that person at the back of the class whom no one even thought of talking to. She didn't mind not talking to them either. 

Other people found her arrogant and rude, but it was just that she felt uncomfortable and didn't feel the need to talk to them unless necessary.


*Gosh dang it. Haemi, why did you even think of this idea. You're never like this* She thought to herself.

Maybe she was just too carried away by the fact that she was getting neighbors?


"Uhh... yeah... thanks." He said, taking the basket.


Haemi just stared there, waiting for him to introduce himself.


"Uhh... what...? Do you... need something?" He glared coldly.

"No... uhh, whatever. Yeah... bye..?" Her eyes were filled with embarrassment and regret as the gate closed.


"How hard is it for that guy to say his name? Gosh... I feel like I welcomed him for nothing." She muttered as she walked back to her own house.


"Sweetie, how are the neighbors? Are they nice?" Her mother called from the kitchen.

"Yeah. They're alright." She replied.


*No. No they weren't. At least that guy wasn't. It was awkward. He didn't even introduce himself. Maybe it was because he was tired?* Haemi thought to herself.


That man left a cold and arrogant impression on Haemi on the first day they met.

She tried to understand. It was a first meeting anyways. 


After that, she was called down for dinner. She wondered why the day felt so long. She felt like it was the longest day of her life.

As she quickly scrambled downstairs to the dining room, she noticed 3 unfamiliar voices laughing and conversing with her mother.


"Ah, Haemi-ah, these are our new neighbors! You met their nephew earlier, didn't you? Come! Sit down! I invited them for dinner." Her mother announced.


She shyly greeted them, bowing politely.
"Nice to meet you, I am Yoo Haemi."

"Ah, what a nice daughter you have. Nice to meet you, Haemi. I'm Mrs. Chang and this is Mr. Chang." They smiled."This is our nephew, Yi Fan."

Haemi rememberd him from earlier.

"Nice to meet you." He bowed.

They quickly sat down and ate their meal. Her father had not came home yet and just listened to her mom converse with the Chang family as she ate. She found out that they came from China but knew how to speak Korean fluently because of their nephew, Yi Fan, who was born in Canada and raised in Korea for a while before going back to his parent's hometown in China and... now he was back here with his aunt and uncle in Seoul.


Haemi often found him glancing back at her for a few seconds, eyeing her from head to toe with a keen eye before returning to eat.

There was something about him that made her dislike him. A lot.


"Haemi, why don't you take Yi Fan up to your room and maybe become friends with him? You guys might be bored here." Her mother suggested as she smiled warmly.

"Yes, Mother." She agreed.
In her mind, she gagged. She completely did not want to become close to him.
But she didn't dare talk back and quietly led Yi Fan to her room.


"Yoo Haemi... " He said softly.

"Hm?" She answered in confusement.

"No... I just feel like I've heard that name before. Sorry." Yi Fan explained.

"Ah... okay..." She replied before opening up her room.


They slowly walked inside.

"I'm gonna go use the bathroom really quick. You can just... uhh... sit down, I guess?" Haemi said before heading towards the bathroom in her room.


*That Yi Fan guy... he seems.. alright? He still glares at me coldly, though.* Haemi sighed.

She didn't really need to go to the restroom. She just wanted to escape from the awkwardness. She felt suffocated, like she was being enclosed in a small room. 

She took a deep breath before heading out to see Yi Fan fussing about with a bunch of papers in his hand. From Haemi's desk.


"What are you doing?!" She shrieked.


She completely despised it when people touched her personal belongings.


"Huh? Oh sorry I just--" Yi Fan began as he placed them back on her desk.

"Don't touch my stuff! Didn't anyone ever teach you anything about being respectful?" She huffed in a calm but firm tone.

"Well it was just there and--" 

"Just go over there and sit down." Haemi pointed as she hurried over to fix her desk.


Yi Fan slowly headed over to the couch and watched as Haemi hurriedly arranged her stuff.


"Do you have OCD or something? You're like a... neat freak." He asked. He didn't realize how ignorant he sounded.

"Hey! I just hate it when people touch my belongings..." She flinched.

Yi Fan nodded as he carefully picked up a stuffed animal off her shelf.
He stared at it for a second.


"Mr. Bear, isn't your owner a little rude for a person she's just meeting for the first time?" He whispered to the toy.


Haemi looked back at him and grabbed it back swiftly.
"Don't. Touch. My. Stuff." She growled.

Yi Fan looked at her and studied her face. He slowly made his way closer to her as she gulped and tried to get away.


"S-stop! G-get away!" She stuttered as he took a step closer and closer.


He didn't listen.
She suddenly found herself trapped in a corner as Yi Fan outreached his hand and tilted his head.
Haemi hung her head down timidly trying her hardest not to make eye contact.


"Why? Are you... scared of me?" He whispered his face right up infront of hers.

"S-stop! I'm telling you... I'll call my mom!" She trembled.

"I'm not scared of your mom. Go ahead. Call her." Yi Fan chuckled.


"MO--!" Haemi yelled.

"Jeesh!" Yi Fan exclaimed, quickly covering with his hand."Fine! Fine!" He yelled as he stepped away.

"I told you." Haemi smirked.

"You should've seen your face though." Yi Fan laughed."You looked so scared! Did you really think that I'd kiss you?"


Haemi just hung her head down in anger.


"Oh please, you're not even a quarter of my ideal girl. Have you looked in the mirror?!" Yi Fan spat.


Haemi felt her cheeks turn red in embarrassment.

Suddenly they heard a knock on the door.
"Yi Fan honey, we've got to go home now. Have you guys become friends?" They heard his aunt call.

Yi Fan opened the door.
"Oh yes. Very good friends." He smirked as he stole a glance at Haemi.


Haemi stood there and watched as they left.

"What?! And I have to live next to HIM?! Ughhhh." She sighed in disbelief as she covered her face with her pillow.



A/N: Helloo :) Sorry if this story is y. I'm kinda hesitant to continue it. It seems so uneventful & plain. Lolol, thank you for reading though :) I really appreciate it.