Chapter 1

Across the Window

Yoo Haemi was a typical teenage girl in high school.
Well... yeah. You could say typical.

Her family was all around rich, owning several different companies, and her father also owned the high school she attended.

Seoul National High School.
It was a top class academy where you either got in because of high ranks in education, you paid the expensive fee, or by scholarship.

But... Haemi was different. Typical but different.
Although she was rich, and her father owned the school, she wasn't like those everyday-rich-snob-girls, no. 
She tried to hide her true identity by saying her family was simply financially average and she suprisingly got in by scholarship.
Of course, she often got bullied by that.

But she was a nice kid.
She was caring, kind, and remarkably intelligent. She was sometimes a little stubborn and impatient, but that was her dorky, flawed self. She didn't just have a heart as pure as gold, but she also most definitely had the looks. Her fair, soft skin, her pink cherry lips, and her eyes which sparkled with curiousity.
Her hair, too, was born styled to perfection.

But she hid it all.
She tried her best to cover up and hide in a person who she really wasn't.
She just didn't want the attention. She wanted to be a wallflower.

---

"Class is dismissed!" Teacher Lee announced to the class.

 

Everyone scurried out grabbing their things as quickly as they could, just overjoyed that all the lectures and learning was over.


Haemi sighed, fixed her hair into a ponytail, grabbed her notebooks and set them in her backback. Before she left the classroom, she bowed to the teacher.


Teacher Jung smiled. "Thank you, Haemi. You're the only one who ever bothers to ever greet the teacher." She laughed.

Haemi just smiled and nodded as she walked out.


She bit her lip as she exited the school gates.
"Was I supposed to wait for Father today?" 
She glanced back at the building.


"Haemi!" A tall man called out.

She smiled as she recognized her father and quickly ran over to his car.

Her dad chuckled.
"Did you forget I was gonna drive you home today?"

"Hehehe, maybe..? Kinda..?" She just smiled.

"Don't you get tired of having to take the bus everyday? Chauffeur Choi can drive you if you want."

She shook her head.
"Appa, I already told you. It's okay."


Mr. Yoo nodded in agreement.
Sometimes he didn't understand her daughter. She never wanted anyone to know about her family and she always tried not to draw attention to herself. He remembered the day she told him she was just going to say she got to the school by scholarship, and that she would rejected admitting that her father owned the school. 


Finally they arrived.
Haemi watched as the gleaming gates opened up, revealing her home. It was an elegant structure painted with white and other soft colors. There were fancy engraved details here and there, too.


"Welcome, Mr. Yoo, Miss Haemi." The house keepers greeted.

Haemi liked calling them house keepers, rather than maids. She thought labeling someone as a "maid" was too rash and improper.


"Eomma!" Haemi exclaimed as she scrambled over to hug her mother.

"Home so soon?" She replied, embracing her daughter back.

"I drove her home today." Her father said as he walked into the living room and pecked a kiss at Mrs. Yoo.

"Ah, I see. How was your day, sweetie?" She asked.

"It was great. It's the same everyday, Mom." Haemi grinned as she hurried upstairs to go into her room.


She quickly changed into an oversized, white shirt and some comfy shorts. She put her hair into a messy bun and put on her fake nerd glasses.

Her room was painted in a pretty turquoise, pastel color and had a small couch filled with adorable stuffed animals she collected ever since she was a child.

She laid flat on her bed and stared at the white ceiling before hurrying over to her desk to finish her homework.

She couldn't focus. She found herself often looking outside her window.

There wasn't such a sight, though. It was blocked by a house, right next to theirs. Although her house was gated, there was this one house that was only a few feet apart from theirs.

And right outside of her window, there was the window of the house next to hers. It had always been covered by the dark blue curtains, but today, they weren't.
The house had always been empty for as long as she could remember, but today, it seemed like they were getting new neighbors.

Her desk was beside her window, and she often stole glances outside, stretching her neck over to the side to see if there was anyone occupying the room, yet.


An hour had passed when she finally got her assignments finished. It took her longer today... she was drowned with curiousity about the new residents.

She scurried down the stairs and ran to her mother.


"Eomma? Are we getting new neighbors? Finally?" She beamed.

"Hm? Are we? I'm not so sure. I've only went out to go tend the garden today. If we are, that's great!" Mrs. Yoo replied as she sipped on her coffee.

"Can I go outside to check?" Haemi asked eagerly.

Her mother chuckled.
"Later, later. They're probably busy settling down and unpacking."


Haemi nodded her head obediently.
"Where's Appa?" 

"Oh, he had to go out to meet with the representative of Daesun Company. Turns out they'll start working with our company next week." 

"Ah... I see." She said as she slowly made her way to the couch, when her phone rang.
It was a message from her best friend, EunMi.


|| to: Yoo Haemi

Haemi-ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Let's go to the cafe if you aren't doing anything. I have nothing to do and I wanna hang out.

  from: EunMi ||

Haemi giggled as she quickly read her message.


"Eomma! Can I go to the cafe with EunMi? I'll be back in an hour." 

"Sure! Be careful on your way!" Her mother replied as Haemi texted her back and got up to change into a cute floral top and some jeans.


"Bye Mom! I'll be back!" She exclaimed, shutting the door behind her.


EunMi and Haemi had been best friends ever since 5th grade. Honestly, thats what she remembered.

Haemi had been involved in an accident when she was 9, causing her to forget several years of her memory... 5 years to be exact. She could only recall her memories as a 4 year old... which she strangely recollected perfectly. At an age that young, you wouldn't expect her to remember so much as a child, but she did. She always tried her hardest to recall the other 4 lost years of her life, but she really couldn't. Her parents wouldn't talk about it either, convincing her that nothing big really happened.

EunMi was the only person, other than Haemi's family, who knew about her memory loss... but she didn't quite know what kind of memories Haemi lost.


A/N: Heelloo. It's ailee_exo/PastelStars! [PastelStars is my 2nd account :) ] This chapter might seem really boring, I'm sorreey /.\ I'm still trying to improve in my writing so I hope you don't mind my stiffy work. Thank for readingggg <3~