Chapter Seventeen

Capitulate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Don't spend time beating on a wall, hoping to transform it into a door. ” -Coco Chanel

 

 

Yoona gave a little sigh when she saw who it was that graced the doorsteps of her office yet again; Lee Donghae. Blessed with a killer watt smile and the sweetest personality, Donghae was known to be the ultimate eye candy of the marketing team, having enough fan girls of his own within the office to earn a spot in visual rankings in Peace Minus One. Lee Donghae was undoubtedly a great catch and if it wasn’t for the fact that Yoona already had her heart set on someone else, she would have been tempted to give the man a chance.

 

What Yoona hadn’t expected, however, was the tenacity behind the seemingly innocent bright eyed man. It was as if Lee Donghae had no concept of rejection and giving up. Day after day, as though he was operating on some sort of clockwork, the man would show up at her office to ask her out for lunch, and time after time, Yoona would simply refuse his offer politely. To Yoona, there hadn’t seem a point to take Donghae up on his offer, not when she knew nothing would come out of it. Logically, that was the wisest course of action but Donghae hadn’t seem to comprehend her well intentions.

 

Each time Yoona declined his offer, Donghae would simply flash his trademark smile, assuring her that it was alright before showing up at her doorstep again the next day with a small token in hand; be it a box of chocolates or a bundle of candies.

 

Yoona sighed, not knowing how to put an end to things. It was getting increasingly more difficult and awkward to work alongside with Donghae. She hadn’t wish to hurt his feelings but the man was simply not responding to her efforts in letting him down easy. And God forbids if Jiyong ever learnt of this. Although a tiny part of Yoona wondered if the man would even care.

 

Weary, Yoona sighed tiredly, “Donghae…”

 

The man in question chose to ignore her reproachful tone, giving the bento boxes that he was holding on a little shake as he threw her a million dollar smile, his dimple showing. “Before you start, I’ll like to point out that you said no to having lunch with me outside, having lunch boxes here in the office doesn’t count as ‘outside’.”

 

Exasperated, Yoona groaned, “For the last time Donghae, no! I don’t want to lunch with you outside or not.”

 

The light in Donghae’s eyes dimmed at the finality of Yoona’s tone, the smile on his face faltering and Yoona felt incredibly guilty at the sight.

 

“You like him that much huh?”

 

Yoona bit her lower lip at Donghae’s question, not knowing what to say. What was left to say when the man’s question had sounded more like a statement instead?

 

Donghae forced a smile, putting up a brave front. He had given his all and tried his best, and even though things had not gone accordingly to his wishes, he was man enough to accept her decision.

 

“Well, this is awkward… but I kind of don’t have anyone to eat with today and it’ll be an utter waste to toss these all away. Do you think you can pity me enough just to have lunch with me this once?”

 

At the torn look on the girl’s face, Donghae hurried to explain himself, “It’ll be purely platonic, I swear! I’ll just treat it as closure and I promise to stop with the lunch requests.”

 

Yoona eyed the man cautiously, “You promise?”

 

Donghae smiled more genuinely this time, “Cross my heart.”

 

And it was with a quiet sigh and a small tentative smile that Yoona relented. If this was what it took to end things amicably, she’ll do it.

 

Daesung inhaled the beef noodles hungrily, ignoring the amused glances from his companions as he slurped the broth loudly, relishing in the savory aftertaste amidst the ruckus of the crowded eating place.

 

“Daebak, this is hands down THE best beef noodles I ever had in my entire existence. It’s a pity that Miss Bella had to give this up to have homemade bento boxes with Lee Donghae in her office, I’m quite sure she’ll love this.”

 

With his head practically buried in the giant bowl, Daesung continued slurping his noodles with gusto, oblivious to the sudden frozen, alarmed looks his friends had donned as they stared gaping at someone standing behind him.

 

“I mean I didn’t think that Miss Bella would actually agree to have lunch with Donghae. Okay, granted that Donghae was really persistent and I guess he was kind of sweet to shower her daily with all those little gifts. And I know she said that it was strictly a one-time thing only but who knows? I feel like she might cave in to his advances eventually, Donghae is a cutie that knows how to work his charms after all and--”

 

Daesung snapped his head up in annoyance when Hyung-sik persistently tugged on the sleeve of his knitted sweater.

 

“Aish, what!” exclaimed Daesung, only to fall silent at the looks his companions were throwing at him. Boyoung in particular was biting her lip as she alternated her glances between him and some point behind him. It was only then did Daesung felt a chilling sensation down his back, the hairs on his nape rising in reflex.

 

“Mr Kwon is behind me, isn’t he?” whispered Daesung, taking care to remain as still as possible. Hyung-sik gave a grave nod in response.

 

Daesung flinched when he heard the sound of a metal tray hitting the table surface. He was resolute in his decision to not turn his head no matter what, leaving his friends to witness the scene that was unfolding behind him.

 

Youngbae sighed as he watched Jiyong stormed off. The man’s agitation was palpable and Youngbae had an uncanny feeling that his friend had finally reached his limit and had an inkling as to where Jiyong was no doubt headed to.

 

Dragging his feet, Youngbae sat himself at the empty seat beside Daesung, “I don’t suppose you guys could adopt me for lunch today? I think I’ve just been rudely deserted by my best friend.”

 

The weary tone of defeat in Youngbae’s voice earning matching sympathetic looks from his fellow co-workers. There was little doubt between all of them that a new battle was about to break out in Peace Minus One.

 

Yoona spun her head to the door at the sound of her office door being swung rudely open. With a piece of half-eaten kimbap in , Yoona stilled as she stared unblinking from where she sat on the leather seat, caught off guard by Jiyong’s unexpected appearance. It hadn’t taken her long, however, to realize that Jiyong was incredibly pissed off, uh-oh.

 

Jiyong tensed as he felt his anger reach dangerous levels at the sight that greeted back at him; she was really having lunch with someone else other than him. The girl had her long locks tied in a messy bun on top of her head as she feasted on the lunch boxes before her; a picture that spoke of her being at ease with the other man, the idea of it sending jagged glass shards down his throat and Kwon Jiyong didn’t like it one bit.

 

With a hand still holding the frosted door open, Jiyong spoke, his voice low and dangerous, “Donghae, I’m going to say this just once very nicely, you need to leave. Now.”

 

Only to have the molten lava in his veins burn hotter when the man in question shot a worried look to the girl instead of rushing to obey his command instantly. Jiyong hadn’t appreciate the other man’s apparent concern towards the girl; his girl.

 

Yoona saw Jiyong narrow his eyes dangerously at Donghae’s act and rushed to finish the kimbap she had in , knowing that Donghae was (unintentionally) putting himself in a perilous position.

 

“It’s okay,” she reassured Donghae, wanting to get the man out of her office before Jiyong loses his cool, “I’ll be fine, Jiyong won’t hurt me, go.”

 

And with one last uneasy look, Donghae shuffled himself out of her office.

 

Jiyong shut the door swiftly after the man’s departure. Saying nothing, Jiyong made his way towards her, his steps slow and calculated, the sensuality of the act reminding Yoona of a wolf tracking his prey.

 

Jiyong halted before her, his gaze piercing as he stared down at her. “How could you?” he asked, the slight twinge of accusation colouring his tone unable to mask the hurt he felt, “Why did you agree to have lunch with Donghae?”

 

Yoona sighed tiredly as she heaved herself up from the seat, wanting to place some distance between the both of them, “It’s none of your business, Jiyong.”

 

Displeased by her answer, Jiyong followed after her, refusing to be brushed off just like that. Yes, he had did her wrong and yes, he messed up but enough was enough.

 

Jiyong grabbed onto her wrist harshly, forcing her to look at him, “Answer me.”

 

Irritated at being man-handled, Yoona tried in vain to twist her arm away, “Let me go.”

 

Jiyong narrowed his eyes at the girl’s genuine efforts to get away from him. Deliberately, Jiyong tightened his hold on her as he brought her closer to him, taking care to ensure that his strength wouldn’t bruise her.

 

“No.” stated Jiyong with finality, “We are going to talk things through this instant.”

 

At the man’s bossy tone, Yona narrowed her eyes. How dare he talk to her in that tone, as though she was a mere servant girl at his beck and call.

 

Yoona cocked a brow condescendingly at him, “Oh, we are now are we?”

 

Jiyong gritted his teeth at the attitude given, praying for patience to deal with the girl, “Yes.” he hissed, “This has gone on long enough and it’s time for us to deal with it.”

 

Yoona’s anger bubbled at his tone. It sounded as though the man was implying that she was being childish and unreasonable for no good reason. With a forceful tug, Yoona released her wrist from the shackle of Jiyong’s fingers before crossing her arms firmly. “Fine!” she huffed, “You want to talk, let’s talk. What are you doing here?”

 

“Why were you having lunch with Donghae in your office?”

 

Yoona rolled her eyes at Jiyong’s insistence to have his ridiculous question answered, “What is it to you, Jiyong?”

 

Jiyong felt his eyes bulged at her question and he could literally feel his blood pressure climbing. What was it to him? What was it to him?!! Did she seriously just asked him that?! And Jiyong fought the urge to physically shake some sense into the girl.

 

“Just answer the bloody question, God dammit.”

 

Yoona seethed, narrowing her eyes at his irate tone before deciding to counter his question with one of her own, “Still engaged to Kiko Mizuhara, Kwon?”

 

Jiyong took a deep breath to calm himself, it would do him no good to lose his temper with the girl. A part of him wasn’t surprised that the girl brought up Kiko but screw it all to hell, he hadn’t wanted to open that particular can of worms before he dealt with the Donghae situation.

 

“Don’t change the subject and just answer me for God’s sake.”

 

Yoona scoffed, “What? You get to ask questions but I don’t? I don’t think so, Kwon.”

 

Jiyong exhaled sharply as he felt a vein in his forehead throb dangerously. Patience, he chanted, patience. “Fine, will you answer my question if I answer yours?”

 

And when the girl said nothing but to stare at him begrudgingly with her arms folded, Jiyong took it as a yes.

 

Jiyong sighed, feeling older than his years, knowing that she wouldn’t like his answer one bit. “Yes, I still am.” he answered honestly and Jiyong had never hated himself more at the moment when he saw her stricken look.

 

“You’re planning to go through with the wedding, aren’t you?”

 

Jiyong swallowed hard at the resignation in her voice, “It’s not like that.” he implored, “I just have some things to do first before dealing with my engagement to Kiko.”

 

Yoona fought a bitter chuckle at Jiyong’s words. With each passing second, she could feel her heart pulse slower as she grew increasingly numb. Excuses, it was all excuses.

 

Jiyong stared anxiously at the girl who had grew silent as he waited for her to say something, to do a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter