Chapter Sixteen

Capitulate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“All suffering originates from craving, from attachment, from desire.” -Edgar Allan Poe.

 

 

 

W H O R E !

 

The word stared back at her, splattered across her frosted glass door; red and bold and Yoona fought a bitter laugh, it was like she was thrown back to the past once more.

 

She had came to work on her own today, escaping her apartment at a much earlier timing than the time Jiyong would show up by the door in the morning before work. She didn’t want to face him, not just yet.

 

She had sensed that something was amiss the moment she entered the office; the whispered buzzing and the not so furtive glances. Despite so, Yoona chose to kept her chin up and dignity intact, as she made her way to the office. Sticks and stones, she told herself, sticks and stones.

 

Her first indication of trouble was when the pungent smell of paint thinner assaulted her nose, and then, she saw it; the one word she hated most in the world.

 

Daesung yelped in shock when he had realised she was standing behind him, his palms stained red from attempting to rub off the offending term with the rug he had tightly in his hands.

 

“Miss Choi!” he squeaked, causing Youngbae to spun around in alarm, he too had his hands stained red. The shorter man cursed, “God dammit, I told Jiyong to stall you no matter what.”

 

Yoona wanted to reassure her friend, to tell him that it wasn’t his fault. How could have Jiyong stalled her when she hadn’t allowed him to catch her to begin with? But the words were lost, lodged in as her eyes remained transfixed on the 5 simple letters painted on her door. It was just like witnessing a car wreck, she realised, no matter how much you would want to avert your gaze, you’ll remain immobile, powerless as you continued watching against your will.

 

Yoona thought herself stronger than this, but at the sight of her friends giving her matching sympathetic looks, Yoona could feel her tears building. God, this was humiliating.

 

“Friggery fuggary fck!”

 

A tear trickled down her cheek at the familiar voice cursing behind her, so much for not wanting to face him.

 

Jiyong inhaled sharply, knowing that he had been too late to stop her from seeing this. This was all his fault. Guilt ridden, Jiyong took a step closer to the girl, gazing at her apologetically, the sight of her tears breaking his heart. She was crying because of him again.

 

Helpless, Jiyong reached for the girl, wanting nothing more to offer her comfort, to dry her tears, only to stop dead at the look in her eyes; it was clear as day that she didn’t want his touch.

 

Swallowing hard, Jiyong balled his fists, forcing them to stay by his side. It was going against every of his protective instincts but he would respect her wishes if that was what she wanted.

 

“Youngbae says it’s a mess inside the office as well. You should work inside my office for today until they got this mess sorted out, there’s enough space for the both of us.”

 

Jiyong stared at the girl worryingly when she merely kept her silence, her gaze locked on something far away, lost in her thoughts. The sight was eerie, as though it was only her physical shell that was present while the rest of her was lost somewhere in the realm of the universe that he couldn’t reach.

 

Mildly terrified, Jiyong was about to call out to her, to call her back, when she interrupted him with a very soft but resolute, “No.”

 

Jiyong furrowed his brows (in both confusion and disbelief), “Excuse me?”

 

Yoona cleared before she met his gaze unflinchingly and Jiyong felt a mild panic stirring within him at the look in her eyes. He was losing her, he could feel it in his bones.

 

“I refuse Mr Kwon, I’ll prefer to work in one of the empty conference room instead. It’s more appropriate and I’ll be more comfortable having my own peace and quiet.”

 

Jiyong gritted his teeth, his clenched fists balling tighter at the girl’s polite tone. She was punishing him and even though he deserved it, her polite tone was cutting into him, drawing blood, and it hurts.

 

Jiyong wanted to argue his case, to demand for her to work in his office instead where she would be well within his sights (he was the boss after all, his words the equivalent of a royal decree), but the moment he caught sight of that flash of distress and vulnerability in her Bambi eyes when she had failed to mask her true emotions, Jiyong knew he would relent.

 

Jiyong sighed deeply at her defiant look, knowing that she was being stubborn because of her pride. Very reluctantly, Jiyong nodded, adhering to the girl’s request. She already had a rough start to her day and he wasn’t about to make it harder than it already is. If solitude was what she wanted, then so be it, he’ll give it to her if it brings about the peace that she needs.

 

“Very well. Daesung, follow her.”

 

Jiyong stared at the girl sadly, full of regret, not knowing the words to make it all better.

 

“Let me know if you need anything else,” said Jiyong softly, his tone gentle as he spoke directly to the girl. And when silence greeted back at him, Jiyong forced himself to turn away from the girl as he made his way to his personal office, there was work to do after all. The events that had unfolded in the past 24 hours could only mean one thing; there was someone in the office working for Kiko and Jiyong had every intention to find out just who it was.

 

Yoona was tidying up her work space in preparation for lunch when the glass door to conference room A swung open.

 

She halted as Jiyong strode in, his gait uncertain and his expression meek; a far cry from how Kwon Jiyong usually portrayed himself to be.

 

“Yes?” she asked when Jiyong merely kept his silence as he hovered awkwardly a distance away.

 

Jiyong clearly his throat softly, his hands in his pocket as he shuffled on the spot, “I was wondering about… well, our lunch plans.”

 

Yoona soften her stance at Jiyong looking so painfully unsure. She wanted to continue being angry with him, to stay cool and aloof but it was hard when the man was resembling a kicked puppy.

 

Yoona stared at Jiyong sadly, her voice soft with regret, “I don’

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter