Worried

Never Change (A Sequel to 'Mistaken' )

   Hastily typing away on the keyword, she momentarily paused to rub her tired eyes. Sleep was drawing in closely but, she needed to finish the extra load of work before she went home today. A couple of days ago, Hwa Young called her into her office, leaving Nikki nervous that she had doing something wrong. When she left her office, she actually felt stunned. Hwa Young had offered her a full-time job at the company, explaining that Nikki had shown great work ethnic and things have been smooth sailing since she had entered the company and would like it to continue. She accepted of course, deciding to put off college life for now. 

  "Nikki, aren't you going to go?" A fellow co-worker asked.

  "I'll just finish this real quick before I go." Nikki responded, eyes never leaving the computer.

  "Alright, see you tomorrow!"

  "See ya." She mumbled a moment too late. 

   She closed the folder and stacked it on top of a mountain of papers. She then pushed her chair away from the computer and stood up, stretching every part of her body. Walking to the office's kitchen, she brewed herself a cup of coffee to keep her body awake. After her little coffee break, she decided to call it a day. Turning off the computer, she texted Jiyong saying her work is finished and she needed a ride home. Her phone beeped, indicating that Jiyong will be there in about fifteen minutes. 

  Deciding to kill some time for Jiyong's arrival, she went up to Hwa Young's office to have a chat with her. Nikki had no idea on how she could manage to stay all night at the company. She herself could barely do it. Once she had finished chatting, Nikki went to wait outside for Jiyong. Walking through the corridors of the building, she met a familiar figure on her way down.

  "Hey." He greeted her with a smile

  "What are you doing here." She let out a tired sigh.

  "I was just going up to Hwa Young's office." Daehyun responded, showing her the files in his hand, "You know you don't have to be so rude all the time." 

  "I'm rude?" Nikki looked at him with wide eyes and scoffed. "You're the one who's rude." 

  "I was just trying to be friends with you." 

  "You weren't doing a great job at it." 

  "Are you always like this?"

  "Only to the people I don't like." 

  "Ouch.." DaeHyun placed his hand over his heart and jokingly said. "Then let's be friends." 

   Nikki looked at him with bewilderment, wondering why on earth would he want to be friends with her all of a sudden. 

  "Come on, I don't bite." She sighed and agreed, figuring out that he would pester her until she said yes. 

  "Friends." He reached his hand out to Nikki for a friendly handshake with her doing the same.

  "Hug?" Daehyun opened both of his arms out and innocently smiled.

  "Don't push it." 

   A car honk interrupted the two, making them both look at it. Immediately recognizing the white Bentley, Nikki bid Daehyun a quick goodbye and ran to the car's front seat.  

  "How was work?" Jiyong said, leaning in and giving Nikki a kiss.

  "Exhausting! I want a break." Nikki childishly whined as she buckled her seat belt. 

  "You just started!" He broke out into a smile at her reaction.

  "I didn't know it'll be like this when I accepted." 

  "Anyway, who were you talking to when I arrived? A fellow co-worker?" 

  "I guess Daehyun would be considered a co-worker..." She began to ponder since he technically does not work in the same building as her.

  "Do I need to worry about him?" Jiyong looked over to Nikki and asked.

  "Not at all." She answered, leaning closer to the driver's seat and planted a kiss on his cheek. 

  "You just had to do that when I'm driving huh?" Jiyong groaned, making her chuckle. 

--------------------------------

  "So let me get this straight, you guys are friends now?" Mei questionly asked, while Nikki just nodded.
 
  "A couple of weeks ago you called him an annoying jerk, what happened to that?"  
 
  "I don't know, he told me he wanted to be my friend and I just agreed." She shrugged, pushing the shopping cart further down the aisle. Mei silently followed behind her while Nikki went to go pick out a box of cereal. She placed it back in the cart and began to make her way to the frozen section.
 
  "He's up to something." Mei blurted out.
 
  "What?" Nikki glanced at her best friend with confusion. 
 
  "He's. up. to. something." She clearly paused in between each word and repeated. 
 
  "You're being ridiculous." Pushing the cart someplace else, Mei began to walk behind her. 
 
  "People don't change within weeks Nick." 
 
  "Okay, I think you're watching way too many movies." Nikki turned around and said.
 
  "That was only one time!" Mei defended herself and said. "And this is different!" 
 
  "Sure..." 
 
  "Nikki!" She stopped at her tracks and turned around to face her once again.
 
  "Look Mei, I'm old enough to take care of myself. If anything happens to me, you'll be one of the people that I'll turn to." Nikki placed her hand on her shoulder and genuinely said. 
 
  "Who's the other person?" 

  " 'My Dragon'. " Nikki chuckled, air quoting what Mei referred to Jiyong as. 
 
  "But I'm number 1 right?" Mei began to press on the subject.
 
  "You both are." 
 
  "But you love me the most right?" 
 
  "If I say yes, will you stop questioning me?" 
 
  "Yes." 
 
  "Okay, you're better than Jiyong." Nikki sarcastically said before pushing the cart away.
 
  "Hey! I sense sarcasm in your voice! That didn't count!!"