CHAPTER V - THE STATION OF THE DEAD

Survivor's Story - The Origin

What in the bloody fish is happening here?!

I've finally reached the train station safely... but not without problems. All the way here I've encounter those freakish unnatural creatures many times... I don't know if it's right to call them those creatures but they're obviously not humans. It's like they're immortal and has no pain receptor on their brain, not even a bullet wound stopped them from coming.

Even though I did not aces my way through my Biology class but I knew the basics of calling something a living being... not just by movement because even things could move if it was triggered by something. They supposed to be breathing, have pulses and heartbeat, and they supposed to bleed and feel pain as well. But this trait is absolutely non existent on those creatures.

Suddenly I heard another groan, it's not that loud but not of just one source... from how many sources they are and where they are, that I definitely don't want to know at all. I move swiftly and quitely to the inner part of the train station. I was expecting that the station will be full with those creatures if not with survivors... but it's empty.

There's nothing at all except for luggages that seemed to be left behind in a hurry by their owners. But still I won't be moving recklessly, I don't want to bump into one of those creatures unprepared. I walk further into the inner parts of the station while looking for anything usefull from the luggages that I came across on the floor, anything starting from snacks, water and just everything that I could use for my own survival and of course I only took as much as I can carry so that I could move efficiently.

As there is no use of visiting the ticket booth with no one standing by I stepped down the ladder towards the platform cautiously. I was quite shocked to see what's in the platform... I see bodies, mountains of them. Damn, I was fine when I saw one on the movies but the real thing is so different. Seeing them might be quite okay with me but the smell... the smell of rotting flesh was so intense that I almost puked a couple times. They're not just on the platform but on the rails as well... It seems that they're trying to get away from something but failed to do so.

What in the fish that they're trying to get away from... why would they ran towards the platform instead going outside to the street? All that I could come up with is that the threat was coming from outside the station, those creatures might be, but not just one or two of them... because if it was these people won't be all on the platform like this, some of them will be outside the station, dead or alive.

I also saw a train wreck, it crashed onto the platform... were the creatures also inside the train cars? This is so sick and wrong... how in the fish that things become like this. What in the world happened! Does this phenomenom only occurs here in Busan? Nation wide crisis? Or International Crisis? Damn there's too many questions unanswered here.

Then suddenly I hear something... it's coming from the the Women Toilet Room, a thudding or something. There are a couple of possibility of what that sound was.. and I just hope that it won't be from my worst possible scenario. I slowly approached the toilet room that has its door opened, some of the people might be hiding from whatever chasing them here. Once I got inside I saw five closed cubicles with smeared blood puddle all over the floor. And just then I heard the same thud sound again, and it came from the inner most cubicle. As I approached the cubicle I could hear someone's breathing sound... well I hope it is someone instead of something.

I drew my glock, unlock it and then cocked it slowly to lessen the noise. I slowly approached the cubicle... from the gap under the cubicle I saw someone's foot. Which I presume to be human that trying to hide himself / herselft. After encountering a few of those creatures I dare to take a conclusion that even though they look like humans, disfigured human, but their intellect is nothing compared to a normal human being.

"I know that you're in there, if you're a human being not one of those things I suggest that you come out from that cubicle right now." I said with enough volume to be heard by the person, I hope it is a person, inside the cubicle.

"Are you really not one of them?" A girl, FINALLY A PERSON, asked from inside the cubicle.

"Do you ever heard one of those things spoke?" I replied to reassure her that I'm a human being while easing up on my gun, pointing it down at the ground.

I could see the girl's foot coming down from the toilet it seems and then slowly peeking from behind the cubicle door. As she was about to come out from the cubile she suddenly shocked by something and then closed the door again.

"Huh? What's the matter?" I asked as I looked around the room to make sure there's nothing dangerous, aside from myself of course.

"You... you're holding a gun!" she stuttered.

"I didn't pointed the gun at you, didn't I?" I assured her that I won't be shooting her.

"Re... really?" the girl still stuttering but took another peek from behind the door.

"Yes, really. Here I'm sheathing the gun back." I said as I sheathed my glock, and I think i've heard this girl's voice before.

"O... Okay then, I'm coming out..." she said as she opened the door.

I could see her white skin and brown hair as she sticking out her head from the gap on the door while opening them. And with that my eyes went wide and smiling at the same time. And I could see that the girl hold the very same expression as I do.

"Jessica!" "Elisa!" both of us called at each other name with such a delight and then suddenly Jessica hugged me tight.

"It's so good to see someone that I know of." Jessica said with glee.

"Yeah... me too. But could you loosen up? Can't... breathe..." I said as I gasping for air, damn the girl's quite strong.

"Oh, sorry about that." Jessica apologized as she let go of her hug and of course with a beautiful smile.

"Don't mind it, so could you tell me what happened?" I asked.

"What? You don't know?" Jessica asked with are you kidding kind of tone.

"I seriously don't know anything here. All I know once I awake there were absolutely no one around me. Abandoned vehicles on the streets, and then those weird humanoid creatures walking around in horde on the streets." I explained myself.

"It was on the News yesterday Night, well a few minutes past midnight actually." Jessica told me.

"It's on the news yesterday night? No wonder I don't know, I went to sleep pretty early yesterday." I explained myself.

"Well that could happen, but girl you're one deep sleeper." Jessica said. "The news actually cause a lot of panic, at least at my place it does, and people were in a hurry to get out of the town or to get to the nearest safe zone."

"What happened? What's the news all about anyway?" I asked.

"Well, the news stated that a Virus seems to be released by an accident by the lab here in Busan." Jessica started explaining.

"A virus?" I asked in bafflement.

"Yes... a deadly virus they say. But what they don't bother to mention is that once you're infected you will loose your mind and seeks to infect the others as well. And what's worse it actually makes the infected person immortal and more powerful." Jessica explained as I could only stare in shock.

"Well... more powerfull and crazy yes, but immortal no." I said as I succeeded in pulling myself up.

"What? They're not? But I've stab one of those things multiple times with this stick, and they're keep on moving as if nothing happened!" Jessica said as she grabbed a pointed stick covered in blood from her side.

"That's true... I even shot one of them multiple times and it didn't kill it." I answered as I think back to the girl like creature that I encountered on my way here. "But once I shot it on the head it died... it stop moving at all."

"Huh? You mean... they're zombie now? Just like the one from The Walking Dead series zombies?!" Jessica was baffled.

"Huh? zombies?" I said as I give sometime for Jessica's question to seep into my brain... "You're right... Why didn't I think of this before."

"Well maybe because it is something that is Unthinkable until you sees it with your own two eyes." Jessica said.

"If it's so, the condition we're experiencing here might as well mimic the condition on The Walking Dead series... The infection is pretty much Nation Wide." I said with fear in my tone.

"Well, I hope it's not that bad yet." Jessica said with hope.

"I don't mean to break your hope, but this whole thing started at yesterday midnight right?" I asked which got Jessica nodded as a response "And now... it's only hours, not even a day and Busan is pretty much the city of the living dead."

As the both of us looking at each other with a little bit of despair a groan sounded across the platform. Which making us widened our eyes, I quickly drew my glock once again, ran towards the Toilet Room's door and then took a peek outside. Jessica stands right behind me holding the pointed stick tightly with both of her hands, her hands are shaking, she scared for her life. Who wouldn't even I scared for my life as well... I could hear someone's or something's footsteps as it come closer towards us.

Damn it! If we're to be cornered here it would be the end of our dear life... I keep my brains running creating multiple scenarios that both me and Jessica could run. But the options are bleak... there's always some risk of having to face those things. One of them would be easy, but a horde of them it's suicide for us! And then suddenly A bloodied hand grabbed hold of the toilet door and we're taken by surprise as the hand pull the door opens...