CHAPTER IV – THE ADVENTURE BEGINS

Survivor's Story - The Origin

I slowly opened my eyes and looked onto the ceiling… I had one great night sleep there. There’s no noise or whatsoever that could disturb my sleep last night. I rise from the bed and walk towards the window to uncover the curtain and open the window.

I stretch myself as I breathe in the refreshing morning air into my lungs. It’s strangely quiet outside… I couldn’t hear anything at all except for the sound of the wind. I wonder where everybody is… It’s the same condition as last night, what the hell is happening here? Thinking that it might just my imagination I decided to clean myself using the shower.

After I’ve wear my clothes I headed towards the living room and found nobody there. I shrugged it off and then the TV to check on the news, but there’s nothing but static and buzzing sound. What the hell is happening? No matter how busy a city is they never ever stop the news heck they even supposed to record it and broadcast the whole festivities if there is one. This immediately alarmed me… my dad always says there’s nothing as comforting as some routine happening, because when something deviates from its routine there’s definitely something wrong.

I immediately go into my room and then pack everything into the duffel back and took out the Glock 19 Gen 4, my favorite gun, and the gun holsters that my dad gave to me on my 21th birthday and prep it. I’ve never use it for years since the days of my training with my father and how I hope I’ve never have to use it at all… but seeing the situation right now, something is mightily not right.

Thanks to my dad’s status and the permit that he gave to me I could actually bring the gun anywhere with me… I guess having someone inside the military has its own perks. I fished out my smartphone to call home only to be greeted with No Signal status, its emergency call only; I tried calling the emergency channels only to be greeted with answering machines.

I prepped my gun and then pocketed it into the holster and then put my jacket over it just in case meeting someone; I don’t want to scare anyone by flashing around my piece. I brought my duffel bag with me as I stepped outside… and it’s as empty as a few hours earlier. Somehow it looks like that everyone has abandoned everything and went on their own way; some cars even have their keys still on the ignition. Something is on… something really – really bad.

“What the hell is happening? It’s like a damn ghost town!” I said to myself.

Then I decided that it’s time to get back to my hotel at Myeongdong, Seoul just like I’ve planned before. I retrace the road towards the same train station that I came from yesterday. I’ve been walking for about 10 minutes now because I couldn’t find any public transportations and there are absolutely no man nor woman that I could see. All that there are abandoned cars and some of them even wrecked due to hitting another car. Was it an accident? But what caused it? The traffic lamps are working right without any glitch whatsoever.

And then I heard suddenly I heard some noises from behind an abandoned truck by the intersection… sounds like footsteps and I could see the person is kind of dragging one of his or her feet there. The person slowly moving into my view… she’s a woman. She’s wearing formal work attires and has blonde hair that covers her face.

“Excuse me miss… Are you okay?” I asked her and caused her to stop on her tracks “What happened?”

The woman slowly turned her head towards me. I could see that her face is pale which made me think that the woman are might be in pain due to her leg. But after a few moments I saw something that’s so disturbing that I thought I’m going to throw up and having some nightmare later on. On one side of her face it’s just a pale sick face… but the other half… Her face is literally torn apart! I could see her eyeball dangling out of her eye socket and her cheek is ripped off. I also could see a huge slit starting from her neck all the way to the stomach and bloods all over her clothes. How she’s able to walk with a condition like that? Heck! How is she even alive? And then she slowly limps towards me.

“Miss, please stop.” I said to her as I draw my gun and point it at her “Miss, I told you to stop! I don’t want to hurt you.”

The woman is not even listening; she keeps on moving towards with a heart wrenching groan. I shot a warning shot directly at the ground in front of her with no effect whatsoever. Either the girl is brave or just plain stupid!

“Miss! Stop!” I said as I walk backwards as she steps forward closing in to me.

As she’s getting closer and closer to me she starts to raise her hands trying to hold me. I sidestepped a couple of times as I keep on telling her to stop but to no avail. In the end I bumped into something, I looked back and it turned out to be an abandoned bus. When suddenly I could feel someone grabbing a hold of my shoulders, the woman is the one who is holding me; I immediately grab hold of the girls’ shoulders as well trying to push her away from me. The woman seems trying to bit me! And damn she’s strong!  Far stronger than any woman with her build should be!

After a few moments of struggle I managed to push her away and then shoots at her three times with each bullet hits the target. The woman fell onto the ground and after a few spasms her body comes to a still. I cautiously walked towards the woman’s body in order to check for a pulse, there is none. Damn! Damn! I killed a woman! I killed a human! How I supposed to tell this to my old man?

As I’m trying to get a hold of myself I saw the woman’s body twitched. She’s alive? But she has no pulse, heck she doesn’t even breathe anymore. There’s no way anyone could survive with three bullets lodged in her body. She obviously wasn’t wearing any bulletproofed vest. Maybe I was just imagining things… but then suddenly a groan is heard… the same groan as before. And with that I saw the woman rising up from the ground and trying to get to me again.

“What the fish?!” I was taken aback by what I saw and instinctively draw my gun again and shoots the woman again… this time I put bullet in her head. And with that the woman once again falls onto the ground…  I kicked her body a few more times while I still pointing the gun at her.  I waited for a couple of minutes before assuming that she’s won’t be moving again, forever.

“What the fish is happening?” I said to myself when suddenly I hear a choir of groans from my back. I turned towards the bus on my back and then slowly laying myself on the ground so that I could see the road behind the bus from below the bus.

I’m definitely not liking what I’m seeing right now. I saw a group of people… people that has the same condition as the woman that I’ve just killed earlier. My guts know that the woman was definitely not a human anymore, and now… there’s a flock of them? But to my luck that very road is not the one that I’m going to take. I immediately rise up from the ground and then starts running towards the station hoping that the trains are still running.