CHAPTER III – THE END OF DAYS

Survivor's Story - The Origin

A loud ring was heard, echoing all over the air, and thus waking me up from my slumber. I reached out to the ringing alarm clock and then moved it so it aligned right in front of my eyes as I switched off the alarm. It says 06:30 AM. Why did I set the alarm to ring this early anyway… then I finally realized that I was in my hotel room here in South Korea! With that realization I came to smile on myself… yesterday I met with two nice people, who happened to be girls, and I’m more than willing to call them friend… Don’t know about them though.

I get up from my bed and then headed towards the bathroom complete with a full set of bathing necessities to freshen up. I got a train, a KTX to be exact, to catch at 08:30 PM. Thus I need to be ready at the station, with the ticket in my hands, at least at 07:30 AM if I don’t want to be late and missed the train. After I’ve done with my shower I went out with my bathrobe around me and took a pair of black skinny jeans, a long sleeved graphic T-Shirt, and a denim vest. After I’m fully dressed I took the elevator and headed to the lobby.

Once I have reached the lobby I gave the keycard of my room to the receptionist for safe keeping. When I headed towards the exit my interest was picked by something. The TV broadcasting some news… but it’s not something good… It said that there were several cases of people going crazy and aggressively attacking another people with reasons unknown. They said it was happening in different areas throughout South Korea. I just hope there won’t be any of them where I’m going soon… well I could defend myself perfectly but I sure hope I don’t have to use any of my defensive capabilities on anyone.

“You don’t need to worry about that miss.” A bell boy that stand beside me said “I bet it was just some stressed people, I’m pretty sure that our police force would handle those people swiftly.”

“Well, I hope so too…” I replied with a smile “Might I ask you, why you start talking to me using English instead of your own language?”

“Ah… and miss, may I ask how you know that I’m Korean?” The bell boy asked again in return.

“Well I…” And then I realized something… I heard the bellboy actually talking using Korean fluently when I gave my keycard to the receptionist before while the a few moments ago when he was using English, his Korean dialect is pretty clear “I got the answer already… I couldn’t believe I forgot about that.”

“Well people tend to forget something that they consider trivial, aren’t they miss?” He politely said as he smiled

“I couldn’t agree more as I’ve been a living example of it.” I replied with a smile as I shook my head “It’s nice talking to you but I’ve a train to catch.”

“Well then don’t let me hold you here, have a safe and nice trip miss.” He responded.

I bowed 45 degrees just a sign of being polite to him and threw him a smile which he did the same in return. I immediately went to the lobby entrance and walk towards the Seoul Subway Line, which only took about 3 minutes or so. I picked the right Hotel for my vacation! As expected, there were plenty of people coming and go using the KTX… well it was express as in pretty fast and it also quite cheap compared to taking a Taxi. I purchased my ticket with Busan as my destination and then boarded the train.

Most people will usually having a nice time doing some sightseeing when they rode the trains, but since this is an express train most of the time the view is pretty much a blur and to add to it I’m pretty much sleepy because I’ve to woke up pretty early today… I believe I fell asleep within 10 minutes of boarding the train. And I’ve just woke up about 5 minutes ago and they’re telling me that we will arrive at Busan shortly. Damn… that means that I slept for about three hours! Oh well there’s no use crying over spilt milk… what’s done is done and now off to the tourist sites!

Since I’m pretty much an outdoor person I’ve already handpicked several tourist sites that I’ll be visiting today. First I’m going to visit the beach!  The famous and well known Haeundae Beach, here I come! As I reached Haeundae Beach I could see quite a crowd there… I guess everyone, local or not, must be visiting this beach to enjoy their days off. Well the sand is soft and nice, even though it’s not the best in my opinion. And there are quite a few shops there residing along the beach selling souvenirs, foods and drinks for the tourist visiting. Quite a good place to get a tanned skin, but I love my fair skin better than tanned so I guess I’ll skip the tanning process. The water itself looks so refreshing! I’ll consider swimming later… but for now it’s more important to secure a spot for myself.

Finally I found one nice spot shaded by a couple of trees… I lay my mat on the sands and then strips into my bikini that I’ve already wear under the short sleeved shirt and a pair long jeans that I wear. I folded my shirt and my trousers nicely and then lay it down on the mat besides the bag that I carry and then headed towards the beach.

I took a couple of selfies and sometimes as the help of a few people to take the pictures of me and sometimes with them or other people on the beach. Not being arrogant or anything but I got quite a few compliment from either the locals or other foreign tourists that helped me for being quite beautiful and having a nice body, that sure felt good! I guess it pays off to do regular exercises to maintain my figure.

After spending quite a couple hours enjoying the beach as I took some pictures, swimming and everything I felt tired and decided that it time for me to take a rest. I lay myself down on the mat that I’ve laid down with the intention of just resting my body and take a quick nap to recharge my battery.

I slowly opened my eyes and saw orange-ish skies above… damn I must have fell asleep for quite some time. I looked at my wrist watch and saw that it’s four o’clock in the evening already. I rise immediately as I wear my shirt and jeans over my bikini and then put everything else back into the bag.  I guess I would have to adjust my schedule for tomorrow then, for now it’s time for me to head to the guest house that I’ve already booked for the night which is located near the beach.

As I walked towards the Guest House I noticed that the beach itself is empty… there’s no one else there. And it seems that plenty of them left their belonging there… did they left in a hurry? Did something happen? I quickly brush that off as I think they might have some event somewhere and the people went there to watch. As I walked and walked I notice that the surrounding feels a bit weird… it’s a tourism site here but why is it looked like a ghost or abandoned city instead?

And then I heard some noises around the corner, it sounds like somebody stepped on a twig or something. But then the sky is getting darker and darker by the minutes… it almost nightfall! I ignored the noise and continue my walk towards the guest house as there’s currently no taxi or any public transportation, where the hell everyone is anyway, but luckily the Guest House is still within a walking distance from here and didn’t bring much with me.

As soon as I reached the guest house I said my greetings hoping the owner will show up and then show me to my room. But there’s no response whatsoever. There’s also no one here… I could see a few cars and bikes but there’s no one else at all. There’s light on inside though… everyone’s asleep maybe? But it’s just five past thirty in the evening… even if the locals do sleep at this time there’s no way the tourist behaves the same. The tourists tend to visit the night clubs or enjoying the night by walking around the park or something.

“Excuse me… sorry for the intrusion, hello…” I said once again hoping for some response from anyone. But there’s nothing… all that I could hear is the eerie silence that echoes through the night. I couldn’t even hear any crickets around with so much greenery around here. I decided to step in as I called for the owner once again with no answers all the same… I looked into some rooms and spotted a few rooms has other tenants’ belonging inside without their owner as if they left in a hurry. Damn what the hell happened here anyway? Where’s everyone?

I felt unease about everything here… but there’s nothing that I could do and there’s no way I wonder around outside alone like this… I couldn‘t even if I wanted too as there’s no one at all, not even a taxi driver. I stepped into an empty room, locked the door from the inside and then close the window curtains. This is way too eerie… it’s like something out of a video game kind of condition. A city where there’s no one else could be sighted... just adds a couple of mutants and it is a horror movie or horror game. I put my duffel bag right beside the bed and then I lay myself on top of the bed and went to sleep. I hope everything will be back to normal tomorrow when I wake up.