CHAPTER I - THE ARRIVAL

Survivor's Story - The Origin

“Flight 35-SSO-01 is ready for departure, please board the airplane.” an electronic voice echoed in the airport building.

After hours that I’ve spent inside the airplane I've finally arrived here at the Incheon Airport in South Korea from my hometown. I’ve finally had some time off from my hectic work and here I am visiting South Korea as a tourist to have a vacation. I’ve always been a fan of K-POP and K-Dramas as well, and now is my chance to actually see the place where they came from. Seeing the sites where they shot the dramas has always been one of my goals and know It’s about to be fulfilled.

I guess I better get going now, don’t want to be late for checking in to the hotel! I searched the terminal’s lobby to look for a method of transportation that’s going to take me to Skypark Central Hotel at Seoul where I’ve booked myself a nice room for me to stay during my vacation here. Why do I choose Skypark Central you asked? Well it’s because the hotel was pretty close to Myeoungdong Shopping Street and Namdaemoon Market, it’s within walking distance, which I will visit sometime during my stay here.

After looking around the lobby I’ve decided what transportation that I will take. I looked around for the AREX Ticket vending machine… AREX here was a method of transportation by using underground train or you could say the subway. It’s fast and it was way cheaper than riding a Taxi. After I found the vending machine immediately inserted the money and then retrieved my ticket before heading towards the subway.

On the way towards the subway something picked my interest, It was an LED Television hanging over the ceiling which displaying a news about some disturbance where there are some people who display an act of aggression towards other people. I thought this was just some fluke as there will always be some act of violence everywhere and anytime… why should this be any different from it? And then I continue on my way to the subway station.

After an hour or so I’ve finally reached Myeondong where Skypark Central Hotel is located. I descended from the train and then I immediately went out of the subway station and starts looking for a taxi to take me to the hotel.  Once I’ve reached the hotel I went to the receptionist to Check In.

“Good morning!” I said with a cheerful tone.

“Good morning is there anything that I could help you with?” the receptionist replied.

“Yes, as a matter of fact you could.” I responded “I’ve a reservation for a room here.”

“Ah okay… May I ask under whose name that you reserved the room?”

“It’s Wright, Elisa Wright.” I told the receptionist “It’s W-R-I-G-H-T, Wright.”

“Alright then, Elisa Wright…” The receptionist immediately typed in my name into her computer system. “Alright Miss Wright, I have your reservation data right here under the name of Elisa Wright for a Single Business Class Room for the duration of one week, is that correct Miss Wright?”

“Yes it is.”

“Do you have a Credit Card with you right now?” The receptionist asked “We need to open a line for security assurance.”

“I have it right… here” I said as I fished out my Credit Card and gave it to her.

“Okay, please wait for a few moments to finalize your reservation.” The receptionist informed me as she typed something into her computer. And after a few minutes she finished her typing and then went to the back and returned with a key “Okay Miss Wright, everything is in order and here is your key, Room 0712, it’s on the seventh floor. You could take the elevator at your right hand side. Do you need help with your baggage miss?”

“Oh no, thank you.” I responded as I grab my backpack and my travel suitcase “I don’t bring much with me, I‘ll be just fine.”

“Very well then Miss Wright, I wish you have a good time with us during your stay here.” The receptionist said as she gave a bow.

“Thank you for your assistance.” I replied

“You’re welcome.”

I headed towards the elevator as I put my Credit Card back to my Passport Holder before suddenly I bumped into something… or someone. Luckily I was trained enough so I could keep my balance and prevent myself from falling; the only thing falling from me was my Passport Holder.

“Ouch” A girl’s voice sounded and it sounded to be in pain.

“Oh I’m so sorry; I didn’t see where I was going.” I said as I picked up my passport holder and put it inside my backpack and then helped the girl up.

“You should see where you’re going next time.” The girl said in annoyed tone as she checked her belongings and clean her clothes using her hands.

“Yes I will, and that goes for you too miss.” I said bluntly the girl of course without any ill intentions.

“What?” The girl retorted with both of her eyes widened “So you’re saying that it’s my fault?”

I was surprised with her response that time… I surely meant neither harm nor any disrespect nor do I blame her for anything. “I assure you, I have no intention of putting all the blame on to you, miss. The fault lies on both of us.”

“What?” The girl asked again with a heightened tone “It’s you who bumped to me and yet you’re saying that I’m at fault too?”

“Well yeah…” I answered politely “If you’re paying attention on where you’re going I’m pretty sure you would have move away from me so that we don’t bumped into each other.”

“You...!” The girl seemed to be trying to withhold her anger within her. She then gave out a big sigh before finally starts walk past me while fuming with anger; she was stomping instead of walking. Damn I did it again! I was too blunt for my own and other people’s good. I then gave out a big sigh as well and then continue to ride the elevator to the seventh floor.

“We’re at the seventh floor.” The elevator girl said after the elevator door opened at the sevent floor.

“Thank you, and miss… where’s room 0712?” I asked after I stepped out of the elevator.

“It’s at your right hand side… just head straight and then make a left, it’s the second door to your right.” The elevator girl answered.

“Oh okay… thank you for your help.”

“You’re welcome, and enjoy your stay here miss.”

“I definitely will.” I responded with a cheerfully and then headed towards my room as I whistling around.

I was amazed after seeing the whole room… for a single business class it sure it beautiful. It is not that big but it’s so neat and organized, the bathroom was clean and shiny as well. I said to myself that I’ve definitely got what I’ve paid for. I put my suitcase on the bed and let out a shirt and a pair of Jeans. I’m going to have a shower first and then go out to enjoy my vacation.

I never was a big fan of dresses as I feel much more comfortable using casual and regular clothing... hey I could still make them look stylish! And how about heels you asked? I’m definitely not a big fan of using heels, that’s for sure, as I don’t see any benefits in wearing them. I like sneakers better and with my height of 175 cm… I definitely don’t need any heels.

After having a relaxing shower and wearing my clothes on I stepped outside bringing with me my Messenger Bag that has my passport holder and my smartphone in it. I rode the same elevator as the one that I took when coming up here, but the elevator girl is different right now. It was 12:00 PM; maybe it’s time for a change of shift and the girl earlier had returned home.

Okay, next stop would be the Myeongdong Shopping Street. From what I’ve heard the shopping street would be a nice tourist spot especially if wants to spend some money shopping, there’re supposed to be a lot of retailers and even malls there. Perfect chance for me to spend some money to buy something…  Korean. I went to the lobby and then catch the Taxi that will bring me to the shopping street.

Wow… I would have thought that Myeongdo Street was just the name of a big mall or something, never really thought that it was actually a street name! Okay, this is so cool! I wonder how big this street is… well there’s only one way to find out… and that was to actually explore the street.

After hours of exploring and shopping and doing some culinary activities I’ve reach the street entrance which I came from this morning. Man I was tired... my legs almost killing me here not to mention the weather’s a bit hot today. But then again I’m feeling really – really happy even when I’m this tired. I got to taste the local cuisine, shopping some Korean style clothing, and get to know a couple of friendly store owner at the street.

The owner of the “Lil’ Prince” Café on the street, their name was Lee Sung-jae and Lee Rin-ah… and yes they’re a couple, a sweet couple. They told me that they’re newlywed… their wedding was a little over two months ago. And this “Lil’ Prince” was their joint work because they’re not from a wealthy family, they have to have something to pay the bills… and then that’s when Rin-ah suggested about opening the café.

Sung-jae acted as the Pastry Chef there while Rin-ah acted as the barista there… they said it was their hobby, and what better job was there than the job that you really like doing. That saying was 100% right… there’s not a single moment that I caught them not smiling while they’re doing their works. I just had to capture those moments in my camera for me to post it at my blog later, with their permission of course. They do not forbid it; as a matter of fact they said that it could be helpful to them as I’m actually advertising their Café to the others. I guess it’s what you called killing two birds with one stone.

And then there’s also the bookstore keeper of a Bookstore called “The Library”, Kwon Yoonjae. A young man, I assume to be at his early 20-ies, he’s working there even if he’s just one of the part timers. Yes he is not the owner instead he’s just there working as a part timer to help him pay for his college tuition. That’s what I call a hardworking student! When I asked him why did he chose to be a bookstore keeper, his answer was simple… because he loves book, and the owner let him read any books that he wants anyway, that’s a good deal.

There are a couple of people more that I got acquainted to and some of them have some interesting stories about them or the store that they’re managing. By the time I realize what time it was, it’s night time… no wonder I’m feeling a little famished here, It’s dinner time! I looked around for any restaurant or any eating place that grabbed my attention... which was kind of difficult as all of them actually picked my interest. Just when I turn my body I once again bumped on to someone.

“Kyaa!” a girl screamed due to her behind ram the ground.

“Aish!” I said to myself… this time I also fell onto the ground. Damn it, what’s wrong with me today? I bumped myself on to another person twice today! I immediately stand up and then gave out my hand to help the girl to stand up as said “I’m so sorry, I’ve didn’t watch where I was going, I’m so sorry!”

“Oh it’s okay… don’t mind it, I wasn’t looking either.” The girl said with somehow a cold tone.

“Are you sure you’re okay?” I asked once more just to be sure of her condition.

“Yes really, I’ m doing just fine. You don’t need to be that panic.” And with that I nodded.

I then sighed in relieve that she’s doing just fine without now but not for long “It seems that you never pay any attention where you’re going huh?” I saw another girl approaching the girl that I had just talked to.

“Hey! It’s you again!” I said as I’m surprised to see this girl again while pointing my index finger to her face.