The Vow

The Swan Princess

Guest were arriving to the ball by gondola and carriage.  Princess from all over the surrounding lands.  Jonghyun watched from the vantage point of his guest room window.  Seeing so many happy princesses made him miss his son, his princess, even more than usual.  He could understand why the queen was adamant about marrying Prince Minho off.  There kingdom needed a king to lead, and the prince must wed to rule.  It still upset him that Key went about it this way.  Did he already forget about Taemin?

 

Key was also watching the preceding line of guests.  Seeing all of those princess here for his son filled him with pride and guilt.  His son deserved the very best, but the very best was Taemin.  The princess who stole his heart then vanished into thin air, leaving the two most important men in the queen’s life devastated.  Though it would seem Minho was taking it rather well.  To think his son could be engaged so quickly after losing his self-proclaimed love.

 

Soohyun was a nervous wreck.  His queen wanted every princess to be introduced and to feel special.  And whose responsibility was that?  His.  He had to make every royal guest happy.  Which meant he had to do everything perfect.  Such a great responsibility for him to fulfill.  With the first princess arriving it looks like it’s showtime.

 

2min

 

While Minho was at the gala Taemin was still stuck in the dungeon, as was Onew.  Dongho, Kevin, and Eli were trying to come up with ideas to free their fine feathered friend.  So far all they could do was pace.

 

“I got it!” shouted Eli.

 

“Got what?” asked Dongho.

 

“Water leaks into the dungeon right?” the other two nodded in agreement.  “Then there must be a hole somewhere for the water to get in.  All we have to do is find the opening and make it larger and out swims Taemin.”

 

“Your forgetting about two things,” the ever sarcastic Kevin.

 

“And what’s that?”

 

“Alligators.”

 

“His majesty’s got a point hyung.”

 

Only disheartened for a moment Eli quickly comes up with a solution to the problem.  “We only need a distraction.”

 

“Are you insane?  Who’s gonna jump into this moat?”  Kevin, always the voice of reason. 

 

“He’s got to be a good swimmer,” said Eli.

 

“Definitely.”

 

Dongho understanding what the bird was getting at supplied, “gotta be small too.”

 

“Teeny tiny would be best so not to be seen.”

 

“And it wouldn’t hurt if he was green to blend in,” teased Eli.

 

“Yep.  Good swimmer, small, green,” he counted off on his fingers.  “Wait a minute you can’t mean me!?!”  Now Kevin understood were they were going with that speech.  The turtle and bird just shared a look and nodded.  Backed into a corner, literally, the frog agreed.   “He has to give me a kiss for this.”

 

2min

 

“Now I know some of you dislike beauty pageants,” gives Jonghyun a look, “but being a former pageant princess myself I just couldn’t resist,” informed Key to the guests.  Jonghyun just gave a small smile as the diva latched himself onto his arm after the monologue.  Minho never noticed before but his mother and father-in-law looked good together.  Maybe when all was said and done he would do a little matchmaking with his fiancé.  While the three main were distracted with their own thoughts Soohyun introduced the many princesses while royals and Court Composer Alexander played the music for him.

 

A knock on the ballroom doors surprise everyone.  Soohyun opens the door and the person standing there shocks everyone, especially King Jonghyun.  Princess Taemin, while wearing darker clothes than ever before, walks in.  All are silent.  The princess quietly makes his way to Minho with the crowd parting for him.

 

When the surprise guest reaches Minho he can only say, “I was so worried you weren’t going to make it.”

 

“Nothing could keep me away,” and they dance.

 

2min

 

Eli is busy giving Kevin a pep talk.  He explains what should happen if everything goes according to plan.  The frog only nods his head, hearing the words but not really connecting the meaning.  At the feel of the feathers on his back he begins running into the water.  Before the gators go after him the turtle and bird do their best to distract them.  It works and it turns out Dongho is very fast in the water.  While their busy with their swim chase Kevin has finally located the opening where the leak is located.  It is a crack in the wall, just big enough for him to fit through.  He swims through it and enters the dungeon to inform the princess of the plan.

 

“Kevin!”

 

“To the rescue!  Who’s your friend?”

 

“This is Onew,” Onew waves while holding on to a hanging cuff for dear life.  “He’s Minho’s best friend.  Allen captured him; you have to help free him.”

 

“We will after we make sure you are safely out first.”

 

“Thank you Kevin, and when this is over remind me to give you a kiss.”  He couldn’t believe his luck.  Kevin then swam back through the crack so that he could do his best to enlarge it.

 

Only he can’t make it any larger on his own.  Seeing his dilemma his friends rush towards him with the reptiles hot on their tail.  Before hitting the wall Dongho and Eli change their direction but the alligators aren’t quick enough.  When they hit the wall they enlarge the crack making it big enough for Taemin in swan form to escape.  Onew unfortunately is too scared to try to make a break for it just yet.  The friends can only watch the swan fly towards the castle and wish him luck.

 

Taemin flew faster and harder than he had ever flown before.  Not long later his love’s castle was in sight.  He looked quickly through the windows to try and catch a glimpse of his love.  He saw him all right.  Startled he saw himself besides the prince.  Allen must have made a look alike to impersonate him.  Oh no, Minho doesn’t realize that the princess isn’t him.

 

Still dancing with the ‘princess’ Minho wondered, “something about you seems … different.”

 

Pulling out the locket the fake princess tells him, “don’t worry.  After tonight everything will be perfect.”

 

Taemin couldn’t believe his eyes.  He had to warn Minho, and quick!  All the windows were locked so he couldn’t get inside that way.  He had tried so he did the next best thing.  He tried to break the windows by flying into them.

 

Minho tapped Xander on the shoulder.  “Xander I wanna make an announcement.  Stop the music.  Kings and queens, ladies and gentlemen, Mother and King Jonghyun, I have an announcement to make.  Today I have found my bride.”  Everyone cheers while Taemin is still trying to get inside or at least get Minho’s attention.  “I present to you the future queen of my kingdom.  And as proof of my love for him I want to make a vow of everlasting love in front of everyone here tonight.”

 

“MINHO!” Taemin’s pleas went unheard.

 

“To Taemin.”

 

“NO!”  Taemin began to lose strength.  The vow made to the wrong person was physically hurting him.  He had to get back to Swan Lake.  If not he feared he would die.

 

Windows and the ballroom doors opened.  There stood the evil enchanter Allen.  Lightning even struck behind the man entering the castle.  Minho motioned for ‘Taemin’ to stay back as he walked towards the stranger.  “Hello little prince.”

 

“Who are you?”

 

“Asking who I am when you’ve pledged your love to another.  Tsk, tsk.”

 

“What are you talking about?  This is Taemin.”

 

“Taemin is mine.”  With a wave of his hand Taemin changed into Hoon.  “That is what I’m talking about.  You should have left him to me.  Now because of you Taemin will die.”  He pointed towards an open window.

 

Minho looked out that window to see a swan flying away.  “TAEMIN!”

 

Taemin continued his flight with shaky breath as Minho rode his horse to catch up.  Minho heard the words “he’s fading fast little prince,” surrounding him.  At the lake the friends heard Allen’s voice as well.  The travel felt like it took days to reach the lake while it was not really that long.    In the dungeon Onew heard Allen’s laughter.  “If you hurry little prince I’ll let you see him one last time.”  Onew, with his bow, swam out of the large opening.  Unfortunately the journey was too difficult and too long for the princess as he nose-dived towards the lake, no longer with the strength to fly.  The three friends ran towards his unmoving body which had landed safely on the walkway near the lake.  The magic began to transform his body from that of a swan into his human form.  Minho arrived too late.

 

“Tae-taemin?” he rushed towards his lovers still body.  Slightly caressing his hair the prince hated himself in that moment.  “Oh, what have I done to you?  Forgive me Taemin.  Forgive me.”  Holding the body to him upright in a gentle hug.

 

“Minho,” the voice almost a whisper.

 

“I’m right here.”

 

“Minho, I f-feel so weak.”  Minho hugged Taemin closer.  “I think I’m.”

 

“No.  You’ll live Taemin.  The vow I made, it’s for you.”

 

“I know,” he smiled as he caressed the others face.  “I love you Minho.”  He fell back to the ground gently as he passed out.

 

“Taemin?  Taemin?  I made a vow for him,” his words gaining volume.  “Do you hear?  The vow I made was for him!”

 

“No need to shout,” Allen mocked.

 

The prince approached the sorcerer, “don’t let him die.”

 

“Is that a threat?” as Minho grabbed him by the shirt.

 

“Don’t you dare let him die,” strong conviction in his tone.

 

With his hands raised in mock surrender, “oh it is a threat.”

 

“Save him!”  Allen tossed him off.

 

“Only if you defeat me!”  With the help of black magic Allen’s form began to change from human to that of the Great Animal.  A creature with the head of a wolf, the body of a bat, the feet of an eagle, and the tail of a lizard.

 

A shocked Minho exclaimed the obvious, “the Great Animal.”

 

Eli and Dongho were frozen in fear, while Kevin made the comment, “I’m betting on the animal.”

 

Coming out of his stupor Minho released his sword, ready to face off against the horrible foe.  Animal-Allen knocked him to the ground and the sword away.  Minho used dirt to temporarily blind him, then grabbed his sword, swung, and cut the animal in the shoulder.  “I won’t let him die.”  Animal-Allen gave a malicious grin, flew into the air, swooped down and lunged again for the prince.  He knocked Minho to the ground once more and this time broke the sword’s blade with his teeth.  Minho picked up a rock ready to smash the beast.  He aimed and hit the feet of the animal, causing it to momentarily retreat.

 

The three amigos wanted to help.  Looking around for something beneficial Eli exclaimed, “the bow!  Minho’s bow.  Quick we’ve gotta find it and get it to him.”  He threw Kevin into the lake to get it.

 

The Great Animal scooped Minho up with his talons and flew him high into the sky.  Dropped him to the forest below, caught him again, then flung him into a tree.  Minho used a tree limb as a club against his enemy.

 

Kevin had swam to the bottom of the lake.  He spotted Minho’s bow.  He pulled with all his might but it wouldn’t budge.   Luckily Dongho foresaw this and rushed to help his green friend.

 

Minho had just been pushed from the tree and landed on the castle cobblestone below in pain.  Allen prepared for his attack.  Dongho and Kevin saw this from the top of the water.  Dongho threw the bow with all his strength towards the prince, with it landed the frog.  Minho grabbed the bow then checked his back for arrows.  He had none and the foul beast was getting closer.

 

“Minho!”

 

“Onew?”  Onew had an arrow and shot it towards the prince.  The catch fire move is just what he needs.  Minho caught the arrow and in the same move aimed and fired at the animal.  He shot him dead in one shot.  Allen landed in the lake and a great amount of magic exploded causing some shocked faces.  He was no more.  The four friends rejoiced at the victory.  But not all were celebrating.

 

Minho back at Taemin’s side only begged for forgiveness.  “Forgive me.  I only wanted to break the spell.  To prove my love.  I love you.  Your kindness and courage.  I always have.”  He kissed the princess on the forehead before he wept with the smaller man in his arms.

 

Moving and confused Taemin asked, “Minho?”

 

“Taemin,” his smile so large.

 

“Oh Minho,” Taemin was so happy.  They embraced each other tightly never wanting to let go of the other ever again.

 

Well there you have it.  Everlasting Love.

 

2min

 

The bells of the church rang, wedding bells.  The bride and groom stepped out together as man and wife for the first time.  King Minho and Queen Taemin married at last.  Jonghyun and Key could only smile at the children as the older lovers held each other close.  Onew, Alexander, Soohyun, Eli, Kevin, Dongho, and even Hoon gave a big cheer.  Soohyun and Hoon noticed each other and Hoon couldn’t help winking.  Maybe being good wasn’t so bad after all.  Who knows, maybe another wedding was in their future?

 

Minho and Taemin looked at each other with love in their eyes.  “Will you love me Minho?  Til the day I die?”

 

“No.  Much longer than that Taemin.  Much longer.”  Then they shared one of their many kisses of everlasting love.