This Is My Idea

The Swan Princess

Thoughts

Speak

 

And so it came to pass that every summer, from June until the first of September, King Jonghyun and Queen Key brought Princess Taemin and Prince Minho together.  Jonghyun and Taemin would always travel from Shinning Land by boat to the Land of Shawol.  In all hope that their children would fall in love, and live happily together as they did not have the chance to.  Unfortunately for them nothing ever goes as planned.

 

As children spending time together was not their idea of fun.  What reason would young Minho want the younger boy to follow them around for three months?  Why would Taemin want to be there and expected to be friends with the older male when they had absolutely nothing in common?  Especially, when the two of them were told to play nice.

 

2min

 

The king and princess were traveling on horseback towards Shawol.  When they neared the castle gates the court announcer Soohyun prepared his trumpet to tell of their arrival.  The queen and prince were waiting at the gate.  Soohyun blew into the instrument but no sound was heard.  Queen Key gave him a glance as if to say ‘hurry up’.  The visitors were in sight.  Soohyun, with all his might, blew the trumpet again.  This time not only did sound come out but also a bird’s nest that landed perfectly on the queen’s head.  The three other royals tried to hide their laughter, while Soohyun simply hid from the queen’s wrathful gaze.  Queen Key and King Jonghyun began exchanging pleasantries after the king helped Key dispose of the birds nest.  The children on the other hand were acting the total opposite of their parents, with their arms crossed and at as far of a distance they could get of each other.  Their parents decided to give them a nudge in what they believed to be the right direction.

 

Minho:  I can’t believe I’m stuck with him all summer.  I’ll be he doesn’t wrestle, hunt or box. (Taemin holds up his balled up fists.)

 Taemin:  He looks so conceited.

 Minho:  What a total bummer. (Grumbled.)

 Taemin & Minho:  If I get lucky I’ll get chicken pox. (Both sighed.)

 Minho:  So happy you could come.  (Minho kisses Taemin’s hand.)

 Taemin:  So happy to be here.  (Wipes his hand on his clothes.)

 Taemin & Minho:  How I’d like to run!  (Both look off into the distance.)

 Taemin:  This is not my idea.

 Minho:  This isn’t my idea.

 Taemin & Minho:  Of fun.

 

Minho and Taemin were chasing each other around the castle grounds looking as if they were going to kill each other.  First tackling each other, then throwing things, and lastly using play wooden swords to injure one another.

 

Key:  The children seem to get along quite nicely.

 Jonghyun:  We’ll join our lands if this arrangement clicks.

 Key:  My dear King Jonghyun, that’s my point precisely.

 Jonghyun:  It’s such good parenting.

 Key:  And politics.  So happy we agree.

 Jonghyun:  I think we’ve got a deal.

 Key:  Minho’s quite a catch.

 Jonghyun:  This is my idea.

 Key:  This is my idea.

 Jonghyun & Key:  Of a match.

 

2min

 

King Jonghyun was pacing outside of his castle waiting for his stubborn child to be ready.  It was time to leave for Shawol.  Summer had begun!

 

Jonghyun:  Good heavens, child, don’t dawdle.  We can’t keep Minho waiting.

Taemin:  I haven't packed or washed my hair.  And father I get seasick.  (He pouts.)

 

In the other kingdom a similar scene was happening.  The queen entered his son’s room where Minho was throwing darts at a crappie drawn picture of Taemin.

 Key:  He soon will be arriving.  Is that respect you're showing?

 Minho:  Don’t make me kiss his hand again.  I swear I'm gonna be sick.  (He makes a face.)

 

As the two monarchies meet at the dock Minho and his friend Onew shoot a tomato through a slingshot and hit Taemin head on.  They high five each others success.  Taemin scowls.

Jonghyun:  One day Prince Minho will be his intended.

 Key:  Splendid!

 

Minho:  We've tried all summer but we just can't lose him.  (Minho and Onew run towards their treehouse in the forest.)

 Taemin: Hey fellas, wait up!  (Chasing after them.)

Onew:  Quick, put on some speed.  (As they raced up the tree and pulled up the ladder.)

 Minho:  When picking teams.

 Onew:  Or friends.  (He added.)

Minho:  I never choose him.

 Onew:  You'd think he'd take a hint and learn to read.  (They taunted holding up a sign that says ‘No Princesses Allowed!’)

Taemin: This really isn't fair!

Minho & Onew:  We really couldn't care!

 Taemin: Boys, it's all or none.  (As he pulled a loose board causing the treehouse to collapse.)  This is not my idea.  (Riding away with a wrapped arm and head.)

 Minho & Onew: This isn't my idea.  (Both equally wrapped in bandages.)

Taemin, Minho & Onew:  Of fun.

 

2min

 

The kingdoms always gossiped about the two destined lovers.  Of their exploits of each summer.  It was the citizens’ favorite subject.

 

2min

 

Minho:  He tries to talk me into playing dress-up.  He's always flirting with the castle guards.  (Crossing his arms.)

Onew:  I think you really sorta like him, 'fess up.  (He nudges his elbow into the princes arm.)

Minho: I'd like him better if he'd lose at cards.  (Onew is behind Taemin helping his friend cheat.)  Four sevens and a ten.

Taemin:  I think I've won again.  (Laying the cards down.)

Minho & Onew:  Every time he's won.  (Even when they cheat.)

Taemin:  This is my idea.  (Looking pleased.)

Minho:  This isn't my idea.

Taemin & Minho: Of fun.

 

As they are seeing the visitors off the port they are hit by tomatoes.  Taemin tosses the slingshot into the water and calmly walks on deck when the boys look up with stunned expressions.  Key can’t help laughing.

 

2min

 

The king and queen are writing to each other about the nuptials.

Jonghyun:  What if Taemin doesn't go for the merger?

 Key:  Urge him more!

 

2min

 

Taemin & Minho:  For as long as I remember.  We've been told we'd someday wed.  Every June until September.

 Minho:  All their pushing and annoying hints.

 Taemin:  I've got bruises with their fingerprints.

 Minho:  I can do much better I am sure.

 Taemin:  He's so immature.

 

They are suddenly pushed into a room alone together.  As they look up they can only be described as a couple in love.

 

Taemin:  I see him smiling and my knees start buckling.  I see inside him and my doubts are gone.

Minho:  He started out as such an ugly duckling.  And somehow suddenly became a swan.

Taemin:  So happy to be here.

Minho:  'Til now I never knew.

Taemin & Minho:  It is you I've been dreaming of.

Minho:  This is my idea.

Taemin:  This is my idea.   (They begin to dance.  The orchestra begins to play.)

Jonghyun & Key:  What a good idea, such a charming and romantic notion.  This is my idea.  Such a good idea.  What a good idea, such a powerful and magic potion.  This is exactly my idea.  Of love.  (They whisper from their hiding place.)

Taemin:  This is my idea.

Minho:  This is my idea.

Taemin & Minho:  This is my idea.  Of love.  (They lovingly whisper to each other, and then share a sweet first kiss.)

 

Minho faced the crowd with Taemin by his side.  All he could do is smile.  “Prepare the wedding plans.  For tomorrow we wed!”  He ordered and everyone cheered.  As they were hustling and bustling about Taemin brought attention to himself.

 

“Wait!  Who said I would marry you?  And tell me, why do you want to marry me?”

 

Stunned Minho replied the first thing that popped into his head, “You’re beautiful!”

 

“And, what else?  Is beauty all that matters to you?”

 

“What else is there?”

 

Such a stupid remark.  It left Taemin heartbroken and disappointed.  He rushed out of the room in tears.  An equally upset Jonghyun quickly followed after.  Minho didn’t know what to do.  Key fumed as he walked over to his son and smacked him across the head.  How could Minho be so stupid?

 

2min

 

Key, Minho, Onew, and Court Conductor Alexander were seeing off Jonghyun and Taemin.  After the spectacle the two lovers made the engagement was definitely off.  Everyone was saddened by the news.

 

Jonghyun looked to his beautiful boy and said, “Say goodbye Taemin.”

 

“Goodbye,” then he whispered, “Prince Minho.”  Both entered their carriage and rode away.  Never planning on the princess returning to these lands.

 

Key gave Minho a dirty look.  As he walked back towards the castle he yelled in a diva tone, “All these years, wasted!”  Onew and Alexander walked behind their queen.  Minho continued to stare off sadly into the distance as the carriage carrying his love disappeared.  If one looked close enough a tear could be seen rolling down his face.

 

2min

 

“It will be alright my dear.  Everything will work out as it should,” Jonghyun said as he patted his child’s knee.  “If you don’t mind my asking what did you want him to say?  How did you want him to reply?”

 

As they passed over a quite large bump in the carriage ride Tae looked at his father.  “I want to know without a shadow of a doubt he loves me.  Not for my looks but for me,” as he pointed to were his heart lay.  “That he will love me longer than forever.”

 

Jonghyun was about to reply when the carriage made an unexpected stop.  He opened the door and motioned for his son to stay seated and hidden.  In the distance he saw a familiar figure turn into that of a beast.  A mythological creature with the head of a wolf, the body of a bat, the feet of an eagle, and the tail of a lizard.  The traveling group of soldiers and two royals don’t have time to scream as the Great Animal is upon them.

 

2min

 

“What else he asks.  And you ask ‘what else is there besides beauty.’  Aghh you idiot!” rants Alexander to a pacing Minho.  “You should write a book, how to offend your betrothed in five syllables or less.”

 

Onew, who is playing chess against the distracted Minho moves the pieces as he pleases.  “I agree with you Alex.  Minho is an idiot,” as he steals crucial pieces and players off the chess board.

 

“Tell me Minho, is there something else besides Taemin’s beauty that you love?”

 

Outraged Minho shouts, “Oh course!  There’s how he…, and how about…, not to forget…,” as Minho stumbles over his reasons.

 

“Oh course,” Xander dryly replys.  “You are quite the catch.  How could he ever walk away with reasons like those?”

 

Minho gives a look at the sarcasm fully implied.  Then a look to Onew who nods right along with the conductor.  “What can I say the man is right.  Oh and check my friend,” smirking at the board.

 

“Then I have to show him how I feel.  I will reach the docks before them.  If I miss I will just travel to Shinning Land.  And then he will know how I feel.”  Before he runs off to the doors to put his plan in action he moves a player and tells a bewildered Onew, “Checkmate.”

 

Before the prince reaches the doors they open.  Winds of storm rage inside as one of King Jonghyun’s personal guard and captain collapses inside the foyer.  The three rush to his side.  The soldier’s clothes are ripped, he looks mangled, and on the verge of madness.  He looks into the prince’s eyes and tells him, “We were attacked by a Great Animal!  We never stood a chance!”

 

The crazed look sends the prince into a panic.  “What of Princess Taemin?  What has happened to him?”  The captain has already passed out.  Before his two friends can stop him he rushes out to find his princess, and prays it’s not too late.