The Beginning

My Shadow

This chapter takes place around the 1800's. It's rated for grusome stuff...hee-hee. The next update will continue into this century. Enjoy!

byebye.gif (500×204)

The skies roared, lightning illuminating the sky. He ran as fast as he could, blood dripping down his temples and down his cheeks. He could hear people running after him, screaming for his death. He should feel happy for what he has done but he wants more blood. He will never feel satisfied until every single man with blood on their hands were destroyed. His teeth were itching to sink themselves into their raw bones, ripping their throats off. He had killed the head of a group of people that spent their lives slaying anything and anyone that wasn’t considered ‘normal.’

Owls screeched, their eyes widening in horror. He wanted to stop and just let them take him. He was exhausted from running...running from life. Running from everyone. All he did nowadays was run. Yet, he dared never to stop. He vowed to continue to run...and kill until everyone with blood on their hands was dead. He touched the small bracelet circling his wrist for only a moment. It had a single silver ornament, yet it remained his most prized possession. He could still feel her spirit within it. He stopped for a moment and closed his eyes, envisioning her face. He could hear her laugh, see the small dimple on her cheeks, her hands clapping in delight. He wanted to reach out to touch her silky black locks, hold her face with his hands and kiss her soft pink lips.

Suddenly, he felt a sharp stab at his sides and he roared with pain. His eyes flew open in shock, staring down at the blood trickling down.  He felt dazed at the moment. He never knew he could bleed. He thought he was invincible. Everything happened in slow motion. His legs gave way as the mob pushed him down to the ground. He almost laughed out loud. After all the years of running, he will finally be able to rest...permanently. He wondered if he would be able to see his love in heaven just as the blackness consumed him.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

His body felt warm and heavy. He could feel someone shaking him awake but he couldn’t even open his eyes.

“Wake up! Wake up! We don’t have much time!” the voice hissed. He could feel hands grabbing onto his shoulders. He groaned and struggled to open his eyes. “Please! We don’t have much time! We have to get you out of here!”

He finally opened his eyes. He felt a strange stirring in his chest. The voice was a woman...but what would a woman be doing...

“We don’t have much time, we have to get you out of here,” she said. She had a husky voice, most unusual for these times but he found it rather appealing. He took the chance to look at her. She had dark brown hair and the largest eyes he had ever seen. She had a soft but strong looking face.

“Please, we don’t have much time. They will be here any minute now.”

“And why are you helping me escape? Why didn’t you allow me to die?” he asked. He was slightly irritated by the fact that she potentially ruined the moment he would be reunited with his love. He was slightly curious as to why she of all people...a woman no less, would even bother to get involved in ‘men’s business.”

“Look, I am not here to act all high and mighty so I suggest you do not also. I am here simply to help an innocent man I thought would be grateful at a chance at life, but if you think I am wasting my time....”

“I don’t think you’re wasting your time,” he whispered. She gave his a thoughtful look then looked out the window. “The sun will be going down soon and they’ll be back to kill you. If you want to live, then come to me, but if you want to die then I wish you all the best in the afterlife.”

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

“I find it odd that you of all people are saving my life,” he confessed as they walked through the forest. She frowned for a moment. “What do you mean?” she asked blankly. He chuckled softly. He had one of those deep laughs that one can listen to forever. “The head of the witch hunt is your fiancée yes?”

She froze. “H-How did you-“

“I know a lot more than you realize,” he replied. She bit her lower lip. She honestly had no idea why she saved this strange creature. Yes, he had the form of a man that seemed to have suffered from many hardships. Yet, she knew he couldn’t be human. The question is, what is he?

He chuckled again. “There is no official name for what I am...but I can be anything and anyone,” he said. She bit her lip again. So he must have some psychic power of some sort. He shook his head. “I’m not psychic per say, I’m just very observant. I could tell that you’re betrothed by the ring on your finger, and what you’re thinking by your facial expression.”

She nodded, getting lost in her thoughts. He followed her like a shadow, not saying anything but keeping to her side. She stilled wondered why she rescued him. Her fiancée did things like this. He hunted down people that did not belong in society. She never approved but this time, she couldn’t stand it anymore. Yet, she wondered why this particular creature. What was so special about him? After all, he too killed a man. Who knows how many people he had killed before?

“He was a poor girl. He was going to kill her as well,” he said, interrupting her thoughts. “Men like that don’t deserve to have wives, to enjoy life if all they will do is abuse it and ruin life for others. I was passing by when I heard her scream so I did what I had to do. It might seem like I am a cruel soul...which is true. But I will never harm a woman nor child. That I promise you.

She stared at him. His eyes were a deep chocolate colour. He seemed so sincere she couldn’t help but tear up. For some reason, he had just reassured her of humanity, even though he is not even human. “What is your name?” she asked finally. He pondered for a moment. He had many names...and since he was in Korea...

“Seunghyun. And your own Milady?”

“Bom. They call me Bom.”

“Charmed,” he said, bending down and brushing his lips against her pale hand she held up to him.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

He stayed with Bom for only a week but it was a week he could never repay even if he lived for a million years. He watched her quietly as she made his food and sewed new clothes for him. He thought many things about the human race since the death of his loved one, many not so pleasant. But Bom made him realize that there could be some hope after all.

On the last day of his stay, she was standing in the garden when suddenly she felt a sharp pain in her abdomen. She ran towards the flowers and heaved. Her body shivered as she emptied herself on the blue roses. Her hands and knees shook and she wiped her face, her eyes growing with horror. She looked up and saw Seunghyun staring at her, his face emotionless. Her face lowered, she was shamed. Being pregnant before marriage. She will never be able to face society again!

“Did he hurt you?” he whispered. She flinched and collided with Seunghyun. He caught her with a sturdy grasp, his hands wrapping around her form. “Did he hurt you?” he asked again. She shook her head quickly, feeling her eyes well up. “He could never hurt me; he is my husband to be....”

“Rubbish and you know it!” he hissed. His face was livid, his breathing heavy. Bom’s face paled. Seunghyun’s eyes were growing more and more red, his skin having a soft blue tint to it. He his red lips, rubbing his sharp fangs against his lips. He made a motion forward but Bom stepped in front of him, her arms spread apart. “Please, no...Don’t.”

“He will never hurt you again,” Seunghyun vowed, trying to step aside. Bom moved with him. To anyone outside, it might appear that they were doing a dance. “Please, he’s my husband to be-“

“I will rip his head from his body, I will make him bow to your feet, I will-“

“NO!” She screamed. Seunghyun froze, his eyes widened in shock. For a moment, his growing red eyes wavered, turning slightly pink. Bom grabbed his shoulders. “You will NOT HURT MY HUSBAND! You will NEVER HARM ANYONE AGAIN!”

“But-“

“Don’t forget Seunghyun, I saved your life. I gave you food. I gave you everything. I let you into my home! I will NOT allow you to harm my lord,” Bom said. He watched her closely. She knew he could kill her too if he wanted to...yet she stood her ground. Seunghyun’s eyes went back to a reddish brown glow and he sighed. Bom rubbed his shoulders. “I will be fine.”

“I am doing this only because I can never repay you for what you have done for me,” he said. She laughed. “Of course...that is the art of giving. I don’t want you to do anything for me. I want you to give back to my family. The ones I love.”

“Then that is what I will do. I promise to guard one of your family members until I save their life. Then I will leave.”

“Very well, it’s a pact,” she said.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Seunghyun left but he came back once in a while to check up on Bom. It seemed like their pact bonded them tightly together. He could find her anywhere as if by instinct. Her life was not that great at first. It took all in his power not to slay her husband. He abused Bom even when she was huge with child. Eventually, she walked out on him and gave birth to a son. A few years later, she married a doctor that truly loved her and they had many children together.

When Bom died, he went and placed a red rose by her grave, remembering their promise. He watched over the family but never introduced himself. He because just like the shadows. The only companionship he had was the spirit of his beloved.

Until one day, he felt her spirit. It was in the form of a cute baby girl. It had been 200 years and he knew that this child would be the one he was destined to guard. He constantly watched over the child but she was constantly surrounded by people. He knew that he would have to wait until she was older to repay the debt.

The baby grew into a strong young woman. She was named after her great grandmother Bom who was strong and wise. She was headstrong, and never took no for an answer. For 22 years, she was the centre of everyone’s universe. Seunghyun knew that this was time. He walked up to her house and paused. Was he doing the right thing? Was she destined to be the one he repaid his debt?

A small dove flew over his head, almost reassuring him of his decision. He rang the doorbell and waited. He turned to stare at his surroundings. For a century, he was merely a shadow. Now, he was finally coming into the world. The sun warmed his skin and he took a deep breath. A lot has changed in 200 years.

The door opened and he turned. He stared at the young woman and felt the familiarity in his bones. Yes, this is it.

“Ah, Ms Park. How good to see you. It’s been a while.” he said.

 

 

Comment & subscribe. Don't hesitate to ask questions, I can understand if it's a bit confusing :)

tumblr_lxjrpdSew71qfyj99.gif (500×243)