My Family

My Shadow

large.gif (500×236)

 

The servants took Bom’s luggage and asked her to follow them towards the house. Bom gave them an apprehensive look, frowning slightly. She was watching the way Seunghyun and her cousin Dara were interacting. It was as though they knew each other for years. She felt as though her stomach had tied itself into a knot. She swallowed the bile that was trying to force itself out of . She shook it off and strutted off, leaving them and the servants in her dust without a backward glance. As soon as the servants left, Dara and her family joined them. Dara had tears in her eyes.

“Oh Seunghyun, where have you been? I haven’t seen you for so long!” she said shakily. Seunghyun smiled sadly and hugged Dara tight. “I know Dara, and I am so sorry for that,” he said, trying to keep his voice even. His throat was burning him. He never thought he would be seeing these people again.

“Ya, how long will you hug my girlfriend?”Jiyong joked. Seunghyun chuckled and let go of Dara, then looked at the boy who was like a little brother to him. He was still the skinny young man he always knew but his eyes showed his true wisdom. Something inside of him gave way and he collapsed. Luckily, Jiyong caught him just in time and held him close. Seunghyun couldn’t stop the tears that were now flowing freely down his cheeks. Dara tried to choke back a sob but failed as she too clung onto Jiyong and Seunghyun for dear life. They stayed like that for a moment, just letting it all go. Finally, they knew they had to solidify themselves again....for Bom’s sake. Jiyong chuckled softly as he wiped Dara’s tears, smiling sadly. “I forgot how ugly you looked when you cry.”

“Shut up,” she snapped, pushing him away. Jiyong and Seunghyun chuckled again.

“Gaga.” A soft gurgling sound interrupted Seunghyun’s train of thought and he turned his head slowly to see the small bundle hiding in Chaerin’s arms. He watched as she gave the bundle over to Dara. He could only see the baby’s full head of hair. He walked over to her, slightly hesitant but curious nevertheless. “I didn’t know you had a child Dara.”

“Oh Seunghyun...” she sighed. Jiyong rubbed her arm, trying to comfort her. He understood her sigh. It was easy for the males of his kind. They could reproduce and have millions of children at once if they wanted. But for the women, it was practically impossible. Just as they seemed perfect, young and immortal, their bodies seemed to have been frozen as well. It wasn’t impossible to have a baby, but it was a lot easier to simply invite death.

“Do you want to hold her?” Dara asked. Seunghyun simply held out his arms. Dara carefully placed the baby in his arms, nibbling on her lower lip. Jiyong rubbed her shoulders comfortably and Chaerin watched them wistfully.

The baby stared back at Seunghyun, her big brown eyes staring at him. He smiled at the little baby and she cooed, revealing her pink gums. He chuckled and kissed her cheeks. “You’re the most beautiful baby I have ever seen,” he said. The baby cooed again, letting out a giggle. She grabbed onto his finger and stuck it into . He looked up to see them smiling at him.

“Aigoo...you would have made a great Appa,” Dara said, sighing. Jiyong chuckled. “What’s her name?” Seunghyun asked, slightly amused. Dara and Jiyong exchanged glances.

“Well...we wanted a name that would fit her...we thought...we thought...”

“Tiffany...her name is Tiffany,”Chaerin said quickly, wincing. Seunghyun froze and stared down at the baby. His insides were shaking. He quietly handed over the baby back to her mother and walked away.

“Seunghyun!” Dara called but he kept walking. The name brought back fresh feelings like a wave hitting the land. His feelings felt raw and hard as he struggled to breathe. He knew why they hesitated, it was practically taboo to say that name...yet he loved that name more than life itself.

Tiffany, the name of his mortal lover.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Bom’s POV

The nerve of that guy! And them! Wait....are they...no...They can’t. There’s no way! And yet, as I’m looking out the window, seeing them hug as though they haven’t seen each other in a long time as opposed to a first time meeting, I knew it was true. The way they looked so perfect, standing in the sunlight, they practically glowed!

No they don’t!

Okay they don’t glow...this isn’t twilight.

Honestly, I’m not sure what makes me more upset. The fact that my cousins are immortal...or the fact that I’m not.

Hmmm...I wonder how you become immortal.

Why the hell do you care? You’re a goddess! Men worship the floor you walk on!

Yeah, but if I were immortal, I would walk the Earth forever-

You need to take a chill pill woman! Snap out of it!

I don’t need to chill! I’m perfectly-Oh my gosh! Why are Dara and Seunghyun hugging AGAIN?

God, you are so obsessed with him!

Am NOT!

Are too!

AM NOT!

Are too!

I slouched, pouting slightly. You can’t win an argument with your own subconscious. To make it worse! I’m freaking pouting! I don’t pout! ARGH!!!!!!

“Jenny, what did I tell you about slouching?”

“Mother!” I gasped, standing tall like a soldier. My mother stood before me wearing a suit, her hair perfectly pinned up, not an inch of hair out of place. For some odd reason, I was relieved by the strands of grey in her hair. That meant she was normal like me...

Chaerin and Dara had some explaining to do!

“What? Will you not hug your mother?” she asked, opening her arms a little. I gave a small smile and walked over to her slowly. I hugged her, feeling slightly awkward. Mother my hair and I closed my eyes, just falling in the moment. I hugged her more firmly. “Bom, do you feel bad that I make you call me Mother instead of Omma?” I was startled by the fact that she called me by my Korean name rather than my English name. I smiled internally.

“Aniyo, no matter what I call you, you will still be the woman who gave me life,” I said honestly. Mother kissed my cheeks and smoothed down her dress. “I am quite pleased that you are staying with me for the summer Bom.”

“As am I,” I said. The front door opened and slammed shut, waking us up from our revenue. Ah nuts...

“Your uncle said you were bringing an ?”

“Uh...yeah, he’s kinda my bodyguard....” I trailed off as my mother cocked an eyebrow at me. I resisted the urge to roll my eyes. “Yes ma'am, my body guard has accompanied me,” I said dully. Mother nodded, giving a small smile. “Very well...let us see who our extra special guest is.”

There seemed to have been a moment of weakness in Seunghyun’s face that made me stop in my tracks. Honestly, I was ready for a fight. I was gonna leave them grovelling. But that face. He looked like a lost puppy, so broken and vulnerable, sitting down with his back hunched and his eyes were red. I turned to look at the girls. Even though they were smiling and winking, I noticed the sign of tears that still clung to their eyelashes. It made my insides burn. Whatever they were, they were my sisters that I grew up with...and I loved them dearly...and whatever or whoever made them cry...

I’ll kill them.

Seunghyun’s face went perfectly smooth in an instant and he stood up. “It’s very nice to meet you Ma'am,” he said, bowing 90 degrees. My mother smiled and nodded. “Indeed, it’s very nice to meet you as well. Jenny’s uncle has said many good things about you. I hope you feel at home.” If he noticed the way my mother called me Jenny, he didn’t comment on it.

“Thank you ma’am,” he said and bowed.

“Jenny, why don’t you go freshen up, I’ll be up to see you later,” she said. I knew that tone of voice. It wasn’t a request. It was an order. I sighed and left. I hope Mother doesn’t give Seunghyun TOO much trouble.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Narrator’s POV

“Dara, will you make us some tea?”

“I’m fine, really,” Seunghyun insisted. Bom’s mother chuckled. “Sandara...tea, now.”

“Yes miss,” Dara mumbled and went into the kitchen. Next she gave Chaerin a meaningful look. “Um...I’ll go look for Jiyong?”

“You do that,” she said. Once Chaerin left, the smile left her face and she sighed tiredly. Seunghyun patted her hand. “I know. It’s tough keeping the secret...”

“I don’t understand how you found us...how you found her,” she said. Seunghyun pondered for a moment. “Well ma’am-“

“Ya! Ma’am makes me sound so old. Remember you can call me SaeRin,” she said, pinching his cheeks. Seunghyun smiled. “What can I say SaeRin-ah, it was destiny. You know that. I explained it to you when I found you-“

“Yes. I still remember you as though it were still yesterday. My ex husband left me beaten and worn out. I thought for sure I was going to die that day. He would either kill me or I would kill myself. I’m so lucky that you came when you did Seunghyun,” she said, squeezing his hand. He tilted her face and wiped the tear that escaped her eye. “I wanted to save you. I wished I could save you...to take you away and look after you SaeRin. You know that-“

“I know. I understand. But you did so much for me anyways. I know you got him arrested and put in jail. You gave me a new lease on life,” she said, wiping her tears away.

“Giving up Jen-Bom was the hardest thing I had to do but I knew I had to. Her father used his connections to get a shorter sentence and he was out of jail a few months later.”

“I’m so sorry SaeRin ah, I know how hard it is to lose a child-“his throat constricted and he coughed, covering his face to hide the tears that were threatening to fall from his eyes. SaeRin got up and hugged him. “I know dear, I know. I’m lucky Dara, Chaerin and cute little Fany are here...and Jiyong is such a dear. They keep this old lady from going crazy.”

Seunghyun cracked a smile and sighed. They sat there for a moment of silence. SaeRin was replaying the events of her past. She remembered herself years ago when she had no lines on her smooth face, no tightening of her lips as she laughed freely. She remembered her marriage to her husband. Yes, it was an arranged marriage to one of the most powerful families of Korea but she thought she would live like a queen. How wrong was she....he made her a personal slave. Kicking her when she was down, spitting on her while she shined his shoes. She wouldn’t dare cry though.

Then one day, she passed out. The doctors declared that she was exhausted due to her body getting used to the 6 week old fetus that lied within her. She thought the abuse would stop. How wrong was she...he hid her away in a forest, leaving her nothing except the dark foliage to feed her and keep her company. Every day he would come and curse her for her ‘irresponsibility’ and beat her endlessly until she saw stars.

She thanked God everyday for Seunghyun who was in the forest. She remembered seeing him for the first time. His mouth was dripping with blood and his eyes shone like black stone. He looked like a demon. She had shrieked and fell back. She knew she was going to die at the hands of this beast. Her only regret was that she will never bring back her baby into the world. This baby that risked her own life to bring into the world.

He stared at her as though he was seeing the light for the first time. It’s as though the sight of her had brought him back to Earth. He quickly wiped his mouth and offered a hand to her.

“Worry not miss. I can never harm a woman. You are safe with me.”

She knew he wasn’t human. She knew his family wasn’t human. But she didn’t care either way. All she knew was that he saved Bom years of pain and suffering. She was grateful for his family for bringing a little joy into her life.

“ARGH!!!!! WHAT’S THIS THING HIDING IN THE WASHROOM??????” Bom’s yell awoken them both. SaeRin could faintly hear one of the servants making some kind of excuse about ‘putting towels for her’ but she continued to scream.

“ERT! IDIOT!!!!! FOOL!!!!!! MOTHER!!!!!!!!”

“Your daughter is a pistol,” Seunghyun muttered. SaeRin chuckled then sighed. Yes, her daughter Bom Park was stronger than any other female she will ever meet.

She hoped desperately it would be enough to face the inevitable.

 
 
Hope this was worth your wait!!!! Expect double the TOPBOM in the next chapter :)
 
tumblr_lxa4blEsNo1qi8d8f.gif (500×281)
 
bom-feeling-dance-dara-2ne1-31901824-428-290.gif (428×290)