Hidden behind names

The Storm That Broke The Bridge

Flick on a light, forget my name.

 

“So what do you think, doctor?” Hana asked tentatively, not sure that she wanted to know the answer. From what Sungyeol had told her, things were looking bad for Myungsoo’s brother.

 

Poor Myungsoo.

 

He had completely shut himself off. Earlier, his boyfriend had called him, shouting at him. He was ballistic, demanded an explanation as to why Sunggyu hyung’s whereabouts were being questioned. Myungsoo had to explain to him. That however made Sungjong even more furious. Myungsoo was unable to console Sungjong, or defend his brother.

 

Woohyun, surprisingly, had also taken the entire matter hard. He was clamoring to be out back on the case, because he wanted to prove that Sunggyu had nothing to do with it, but the Captain would hear none of it. Both the senior detectives now benched, Sungyeol and Hana had taken the frontline of this investigation. If it was any other case, Hana would have been happy with the opportunity, but not this one. Her feelings for Myungsoo would not allow her to think without bias.

 

Strictly speaking, this job was Sungyeol’s - consulting a doctor about Sunggyu. But after the interview with Sungjong in the morning, he couldn’t bear to face him again, so the duty had fallen on Hana. Feeling guilty, she had escorted Sunggyu and Sungjong, who demanded to be taken too, to the psychiatrist’s chamber. While Sunggyu had been examined by the doctor inside the medical room, Hana had sat awkwardly in the waiting room with Sungjong, who was crying softly.

 

She didn’t know how to comfort him. She had met him a few times before, but they weren’t really friends. At one point, Sungjong had spoken.

 

“It’s my brother’s doing isn’t it? He’s doing this to hurt me.”

 

Hana was surprised. She knew that Sungjong was the Captain’s younger brother but their relationship was a mystery to the entire precinct, except Myungsoo of course. Sungjong had visited Myungsoo at the precinct, but never his brother. She was at a loss, but silence would only enforce what Sungjong was thinking. So she muttered, “It’s just the standard protocol…”

 

Sungjong had looked away from her, disgusted. When the doctor had called her in, Sungjong wanted to accompany her but she couldn’t allow it.

 

Right now, she wished she had brought him in. She had a feeling that she couldn’t repeat what the doctor would tell her to him.

 

The doctor, a middle aged man, nodded solemnly.

 

“Kim Sunggyu-ssi is suffering from a severe form of post-traumatic stress disorder that has affected his memory and cognition. However,” he said, taking off his glasses to meet Hana’s eyes, “it is possible for him to commit a murder – an act of rage. I understand that he is used to throwing random tantrums. In this situation it is possible.” The doctor paused for a moment, then continued, “I tried showing a picture of the victim to Sunggyu-ssi, he was negatively affected. He probably hadn’t recognized him, but he definitely feels hatred against the man. He was distressed and hysteric, and it took considerable time to calm him down again. We actually had to use a tranquilizer. Under these circumstances, it is possible for him to have murdered the victim, but of course without knowing what he was doing.”

 

The doctor replaced his glasses, leaving Hana speechless. She didn’t know how to react in this situation. Thanking him timidly, she left the room to hear that Sungjong had taken Sunggyu home. She was glad she didn’t have to face them.

 

She drove to the precinct, the report the doctor had produced on the seat beside her. For a moment, she wanted to tear up the paper, and go tell the Captain that Sunggyu couldn’t have possibly done it.

 

But he could have…

 

She had met Sunggyu for a short period of time, but she had found herself to be empathetic toward him. He seemed like a sweet person, and Hana couldn’t understand why he would kill someone.

 

But then again, he could be playing dumb.

 

It was like a thorn in her heart – were they all being fooled by Kim Sunggyu? Was all this an act? There was no doubt he had PTSD but what if he had gotten better? What if the Blood Lily he had been hunting was a trick; what if it was a shadow chase to throw everyone off the real Blood Lily’s scent? What if Kim Sunggyu was…Blood Lily?

 

It can’t be. Right?

 

Her hands shook on the steering wheel. She chided herself for her strong sense of imagination. Surely, she’d have to be insane to think that Detective Kim Sunggyu would be somehow related to a drug gang. She pitied herself for her stupidity.

 

However, once she got back to the precinct, she realized she wasn’t the only one building a thrilling story out of nothing. Youngjae took her aside and told her about his assumption, which wasn’t very different from what she had thought on her way there.

 

“Think about it – to run such a powerful cartel without getting caught, you’ll need inside information. Who better than a detective at the Narcotics department?” he reasoned, but Hana looked at him dubiously. She didn’t feel it was right, that they were just grasping at straws.

 

Sungyeol found them. He looked worried as he told them that Dongwoo had called. He had been asked for a more detailed explanation on the possible method of murder and he had come up with a very interesting clue – the hit with the baseball bat was a right-handed swing, but from the angle the bullet had entered the skull, Dongwoo was sure that the shooting had been done by a left-handed person. In conclusion, the two injuries were not inflicted by the same person, but it was impossible to tell which had been the death blow.

 

“Which makes it even worse for Sunggyu-ssi. Dr. Ok was right-handed,” Sungyeol said morosely.

 

Hana frowned.

 

“Is Sunggyu-ssi left-handed?” She hadn’t really paid attention to him to tell.

 

Sungyeol exhaled slowly.

 

“The thing is, he used to be right-handed. But after the , his right side was paralysed. So he became left–handed.”

 

“You mean if he wants to kill someone now, he’d use his left hand?” Youngaje asked. “So he could very well be our shooter.”

 

Sungyeol gave him a dirty look, but didn’t correct him. Scrunching up his face, he said, “But he doesn’t remember anything, how did he pull the trigger?”

 

Hana looked from Sungyeol to Youngje. It seemed like both of them had made up their minds – Sungyeol was convinced of Sunggyu’s innocence, while Youngjae was convinced he was the murderer. Caught between the two, Hana was confused. She didn’t want to believe in her heart that Myungsoo’s brother – but no, she had to stop thinking of Sunggyu as Myungsoo’s brother. He was an individual, an ex-detective, and they shouldn’t judge him based on Myungsoo.

 

That gun was his, the one that had been shot at Kris, she reminded herself. Would it have felt familiar in his hand? Had he regained his consciousness when he had held it? It was a romantic thought, but Hana didn’t know how to explain it otherwise. Unless she believed what Youngjae had proposed.

 

Youngjae and Sungyeol were arguing about their theories. Sungyeol wouldn’t believe that Sunggyu had anything to do with the murder. He believed that Sunggyu had only been kidnapped by Dr. Ok, on his way to the baseball field. Maybe Sunggyu had seen him driving at that time of the night, and thus had been recognized as a potential witness by Dr. Ok. Maybe he had wanted to finish him off, but took mercy at the last moment. Instead, he decided to frame him.

 

The expression on Youngjae’s face made it clear that he thought that Sungyeol’s explanation was ridiculous. He said, stubbornly, “Sunggyu-ssi has the motive, the means, and no alibi. Why are you so reluctant to believe he’s guilty?”

 

“Why are you so willing to pin the murder on him?” Sungyeol snapped back. “What you’re saying happens only in the movies. A drug lord pretending to be a mentally unstable ex-detective but still running his cartel from the confines of a family home? How does that make sense?”

 

He had raised his voice, which had drawn Woohyun out of his office.

“What’s going on?” he asked. Sungyeol looked guilty, Youngjae even more so. Hana tried to explain the situation to him. The more he heard, his face lost color. She could see the life draining from his face.

 

With a weary expression, he whispered, “Does the Captain know?”

 

Hesitatingly, she replied, “He’s bringing Sunggyu-ssi down to the precinct for questioning.”

 

Woohyun’s mouth fell open. He looked appalled but he had nothing to say. The Captain’s words were law around here, so there was nothing they could do about it. Besides, the Captain had already forbidden him to interfere in the case.

 

“Er-Woohyun, can I – can I ask you something? Sunggyu-ssi, is he – was he – do you…”

 

Woohyun’s hand balled into a fist.

 

“I’m sorry,” she apologized quickly, but Woohyun shook his head.

 

Sighing resignedly, he said, “I love him Hana, I love him so much. He means everything to me.” With that, he walked away from them, toward Myungsoo’s office.

 

Hana has expected something like that but from the looks on Youngjae and Sungyeol’s face, they hadn’t.

 

“Well, that explains a lot of things,” Youngjae finally said. “I should go.”

 

He left, leaving the two of them together. Sungyeol had still not found his voice.

 

“Are you okay?” she asked with concern.

 

Sungyeol seemed far away.

 

“I need a minute,” he said, passing a hand over his eyes, like he was about to cry. It was a strange reaction from Sungyeol, nothing Hana had come to expect from her partner. She watched him leave, unable to muster a word of comfort. But what was she going to comfort him for? It could be that Sungyeol was suddenly sick. Shouldn’t she go over and help him in that case?

 

But he said he needed a minute, should I really barge in and…

 

She was still deciding what to do when Minji found her. Breathless and harried, she told said that Myungsoo was calling her.

 

“At the viewing room.”

 

If Myungsoo was at the viewing room, that had to mean that Sunggyu was here. She followed Minji to the viewing room, where everyone else was gathered, except Sungyeol. She looked through the window to find Sunggyu sitting at the table, nervous and scared. His shoulders were drooping and he was biting his nails nervously. He looked so fragile that Hana felt a painful twist in her heart, a burst of disbelief.

 

Really there is no way he killed Kris…

 

“You have to go out there and try talking to him, Hana,” the Captain said. Woohyun and Myungsoo exchanged glances but didn’t say anything. Truthfully, Hana didn’t want to, she didn’t know how to talk to him.

 

She went in anyway, carrying a piece of paper and a pen. The psychiatrist had told her that given Sunggyu’s conditions, he’d find it easier to express himself in writing or drawing than in words. Placing the paper and pen on the table, she introduced herself to Sunggyu in a warm voice, but he flinched, as if she was hurting him.

 

She started with general questions, very much aware of the watchful eyes behind the window. Sunggyu however didn’t reply. He had taken up the pen and was now doodling. She tried again, this time a bit more firmly and loudly, but Sunggyu didn’t seem like he heard her. He was doodling intently. She hunched over, trying to decipher his messy handwriting. Surprisingly he was writing something in English, in block letters too.

 

“What does this mean Sunggyu-ssi?” she asked curiously, but just as she’d expected, she got no reply. After some time, Sunggyu started to ask for Sungjong. Recognizing defeat, she left the room to meet the rest of the team in the viewing room.

 

“You weren’t as strict as you could have been,” Howon grumbled but before she could reply, Woohyun said indignantly, “He’s mentally ill! How could you even think of interrogating him in this condition?”

 

They had sent Minji to Sunggyu back to Sungjong, who had been waiting for him. She now came back, saying that Sungjong wanted to meet Howon.

The Captain started; so did Myungsoo. Howon started to say something when the door burst open. It was Sungjong, with tears in his eyes.

 

“Please,” he said, catching Howon’s eyes. “Please don’t do this. Whatever grudge you have against me, don’t take it out on hyung. Punish me. Don’t do this.”

 

Howon was too shocked to respond for some time. When he recovered, he said, solemnly, “This is not personal.”

 

“Not personal?” Sungjong scoffed. “You’ve seen him, do you really think he can murder anyone?”

 

Howon sighed exasperatedly, as if Sungjong was a kid being unreasonable.

 

“Sungjong listen -”

 

“No! Not until you drop the case against hyung!”

 

“There is nothing we can do because we have adequate proof -”

 

“I hate you!” Sungjong cut across him, rushing out of the room and slamming the door behind him. After a moment, the Captain looked like he was going after his brother, but Myungsoo beat him to it, exiting in the same way as his boyfriend had done.

 

Hana didn’t know what to make of the situation, except that she believed it couldn’t have been Sunggyu. It was just too much to take in. Youngjae and the Captain however hadn’t looked surer.

 

“Wait a second, look at this,” Youngjae suddenly said. He had been scrutinizing the paper she had brought back from the interrogation of Sunggyu. “Sunggyu-ssi has been writing Star Destiny over and over again.”

 

She checked the paper for herself. With a jolt of surprise, she realized that he was writing ‘Star Destiny’ in block letters repeatedly, then striking through them.

 

“Why would he be writing this?” Woohyun asked, frowning.

 

“Wait, I just…this looks – oh my!” Youngjae exclaimed, as he came to a realization. They all looked at him, staring at the paper in awe. “Look at this…it’s an anagram.”

 

Hana scowled. Sometimes Youngjae did speak nonsense.

 

“Of what?” she asked tartly.

 

“STAR DESTINY – they are pretty much the same - STR DIENASTY!” he exclaimed, as he rearranged the letters and wrote it down on the paper.

 

“Wait – what?” Hana was flabbergasted. Could it be a coincidence? “So what does this mean?” she asked, looking around at her colleagues.

 

Woohyun backed away from the circle they had formed around the paper and said, in a strained voice, “I think we have found STR’s new Headquarters; it’s been hiding in plain sight all along.”

 

Howon crossed his arms moodily, a scowl apparent on his forehead.

 

“Question is,” he said in his deep growl, “how does Kim Sunggyu know that?”