Chapter 11

Niu Nai's Bind(er)

 

On a rare day off, Zhe Qiao and Niu Nai were playing video games in the living room. Zi Lun emerged from her bedroom to make herself a coffee.

"Guys, coffee?" she called to the gamers.

Qiao nodded and Niu Nai shouted over the game noises, "Me too!"

 

Zi Lun set the girls' mugs down on the end table where they wouldn't be knocked by flailing limbs. The girls got really into their games, often unexpectedly jerking an arm or a leg askew. Zi Lun watched the game, standing behind the sofa until Niu Nai shouted her defeat with a "Crap!"

Zi Lun gripped Niu Nai's shoulder, giving it a bit of a squeeze, "Too bad."

Niu Nai seized up at her touch. Zi Lun felt the muscle tighten under her hand and said, "Uh, perfect time for a coffee break - your shoulder's totally locked. Too much gaming!"

Niu Nai tried not to flinch but although the deep tissue massage Zi Lun was attempting to offer felt really good, she just didn't want her mind wandering where it wanted to wander.

A welcome distraction came in the form of Qiao passing her one of the mugs. As she handed over the coffee cup, Qiao saw the strange look on Niu Nai's face and then noticed Zi Lun's little massage. She raised her eyebrow at Niu Nai, took a sip of her coffee and tried to decide if she should stay, or give the lovebirds some y alone-time. But Zi Lun's massage ended and Niu Nai appeared to relax. As she put her lips to her cup, she suddenly paused.

"Zi Lun - this isn't...special coffee, is it?"

Zi Lun laughed, "No, trust me - I learned my lesson."

And as quickly as she'd appeared, Zi Lun was already on her way back to her room, holding her own coffee.

 

Replacing her mug on the table, Niu Nai sighed in relief once Zi Lun was out of earshot.

"Hhm-hmm," Qiao cleared loudly.

"Shut up and play the game," Niu Nai handed her friend a game controller.

 

* * * * *

 

Niu Nai had made plans with her new friend Vic, and was nervous. She knew it was stupid, but she felt anxious going out on what seemed to be a date where she wasn't expected to be in charge of the whole evening. In the past, being the more masculine in her pairs, she'd always been expected to choose the activity (but got ed at when her date didn't approve), pay for the meal (never letting her wallet relax at a more casual eatery), and pick up and drop off her date (even when she lived halfway across town).

Though it felt strange, she kind of liked that Vic already knew where she wanted to have dinner, yet was considerate enough to ask Niu Nai if the choice suited her. Vic also suggested meeting directly at the restaurant, to avoid having either party go out of their way to pick up the other. She seemed a take-charge kind of person without being pushy.

 

After dinner, rather than sitting in the dark at a movie or dancing at a loud club, they agreed that playing pool was a proper butch activity. There they could continue having a conversation while playing a game that occupied their eyes if they were too timid to look at each other. Their hands too, would be engaged. When nervous, hands are the first thing people don't know what to do with. Fidgeting is annoying and only ends up increasing the other person's awkwardness. Since both Niu Nai and Vic liked beer, this was also a convenient place to imbibe.

Niu Nai did remember to watch her intake, even though there was no band-related activity the following day. Best practice when trying to hang on to her spot in the band was just to tone down both drinking and late nights, in general.

So far, Niu Nai was enjoying Vic's company. They liked a lot of the same stuff, including all things bike-related. Like with smoke rings, Niu Nai was fascinated by the skills Vic had that went beyond what she herself possessed. In the case of bikes, Niu Nai liked to do stunts on them but she was no expert. She spent more time falling than showing off cool moves, but had fun in the process. From what Vic explained, she seemed to not just master tricks but also build her own stunt bikes.

"That's so cool! How long have you been putting together bikes?" Niu Nai asked, in awe.

"I started when I was about sixteen. I used to help my brother. He's more into dirt bikes, but at the time, I saw it as the only way to bond with him. When I was younger, he was kind of my hero. I'm not sure if it was because he rode a dirt bike and had pretty girlfriends or if I just really wanted to be a boy, just like him!" Vic laughed.

She was indeed boyish, with her angular jaw, short shaggy hair and masculine posture. Niu Nai noticed that the green lampshade over the pool table sent emerald catch-lights into Vic's large eyes. Niu Nai favored girls that had big eyes like her own. She wondered if her own eyes were glowing green too at this moment and whether or not Vic noticed. She spaced out for a moment and Vic caught her,

"Hey! Your turn, Spacey!"

Dammit. "Sorry," Niu Nai said. Usually people didn't catch on right away when she drifted off. Vic was swift.

Niu Nai admired her across the table. The blond streaks in her hair were glowing green from the lampshade. Oh. Right. My turn, crap! Vic smiled, noticing Niu Nai's second space-out in a row, but didn't mention it. All she hoped was that Niu Nai was daydreaming about her. Somehow both girls were now daydreaming. Vic emerged from her fantasy first, and realized she needed to cool it. She suddenly felt lost for words and fumbled to simply explain that she wanted a cigarette. She listened to the lyrics of a song that played on the room's sound system and found them entirely appropriate.

"I like this song," she announced.

Niu Nai had a listen as she sent the eight-ball rolling into the side pocket.

"Aah!" she exclaimed.

"And game over," Vic smiled. She put out her hand to congratulate her opponent, but then cursed herself for not wanting to take back her hand. Niu Nai's hands were so big and warm. Vic thought, Oh God, why is she SO cute?

Oh, a smoke break was long overdue.