Chapter 45: A Very Questionable 'Fun' Day

The High School Tyrant
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Warning: Totally long chapters ahead~

“Here are your masks.” I monotonously gave the couple the objects before pointing to the corner of the stall. “And there are the things you can use to decorate them.” I lazily gave them a forced smile.

Not everything was effortless. That particular expression required energy.

Either not noticing or ignoring it, the giddy couple only continued talking happily before getting started on their small art project. And I, I stood at the other far end of the stall, away from them. Looking away from the two and out to the opening where the crowds continued moving up and down the area of the festival, I found Sanghee staring at me from across the path.

Quickly and wordlessly, she made sure I knew that she wanted me to smile.

And quickly so, I force my lips to form the very thing I didn’t feel like doing. Content with the show I displayed, Sanghee walked away. And almost immediately, the same smile disappeared.

There was one thing I noticed while looking out toward the groups of people – couples were everywhere. Every single corner I looked at, they were there. This place was infested with them.

If Sanghee wasn’t busy, I’m sure she would have wandered over here to mention how jealous she was of them. My best friend had a small dream and that is to walk around at something like this, hand in hand…I’m sure Donghyuk would play the other half perfectly.

I didn’t notice that I was starting to get lost in my thoughts when someone’s face appeared inches from my own, surprising me. My face backed away and Yunhyeong sent me his trademark bright smile.

“Already slacking off at your job?” He began his teasing rounds.

It didn’t even faze me and I continued staring at him. “It’s been a while since I last saw you.” The last time we parted, he was going back into Zico’s gang hideout while I was handling a drunk Hanbin.

“I’ve been busy.” He simply shrugged off my comment.

“What has Zico been getting you to do?” 

He breathed in casually and looked up in thought. “Jiwoo, I’m telling you this because I like you as a person –“ He dropped his head to meet my eyes. “Don’t run into Zico and mention that to your boyfriend too – off topic, but the fact that you’re dating Hanbin is still ridiculous to me.”

“Tell me something new.” 

“Zico’s boys have been hanging around your school.”

“Knew that.”

Yunhyeong sends me a look. “…I guess you’re up to date with things.”

A small smile appeared on my lips. “I have to be so I can avoid trouble.” 

Yunhyeong leaned on the counter of the stall before looking out into the festival. “He says he wants to meet you again.”

“Zico?” It’s not a mutual feeling. “What for?”

“He heard from kids around the block that you have been helping Hanbin.” 

“Why is he so interested in me?” I’m a boring person. Just leave me be. There has gotta be more exciting people out there.

“They used the word, ‘fixer’.” The boy turned back to look at me. 

I hesitated for a moment to think this through. Something tells me this is heading in a direction I don’t want it to go in – in other words, the alarms in my head are ringing…quite loudly.

“What kind of nonsense are people making up?” I casually brushed off his words. I mean, I don’t think Yunhyeong would do anything to jeopardize my position but it was best to play it safe. There is no way I will ever be meeting Zico face to face again. One tyrant in my life is all I can handle.

“Jiwoo!”

I looked up while Yunhyeong slid over to accommodate the sudden group that came sprinting over. Their bodies naturally leaned on top of the counter and I casually brushed them off.

“Don’t touch the stall.” I will not be happy if there is a single scratch on it. With all the work that we have put in – I will be furious. “Now, what is it?” 

Taehyun and Seunghoon straightened up while Jinwoo and Seungyoon caught up with them. 

“Give us candy.” Taehyun was the first to blurt. “The other stalls wouldn’t give us any.” 

“Yeah, they were being real jerks about it.” Seunghoon adds.

“That’s because you needed to win the game first.” Jinwoo points out and corrects him.

“Details, details.” Seunghoon waved his hand around, refusing to accept that valid reason. 

“So –“ Taehyun placed his hands out and beamed up at me as if to accept the candy that I was supposedly going to give to him. 

“Make a mask first.” Did he think he didn’t have to work for it? Oh no, that’s not how I work. I slid over the masks while they frowned – but you know what the funny thing was, I was happy seeing those expressions on their faces. 

Probably because when you’re miserable, seeing others feeling worst just somewhat strangely makes you feel better. Now, I’m not saying that is acceptable – I am merely stating a fact.

I never said I was a role model.

Taehyun clicked his tongue. “This isn’t worth it.” He left the mask there and tugged the others with him while saying something about how he’ll just beg another stall because like the other people they have already encountered, I was being real jerky and stingy with my candy. 

I was indifferent about the whole thing and watched them leave. They weren’t my problem any longer.  

“You’ve changed.” Yunhyeong comments and suddenly, I remember he was still here.

“How so?” I asked while organizing the masks once more.

“You’ve gotten tougher.” He chuckles as to hint that it was a good thing.

“Yunhyeong, if you knew what I have been through –“ If he knew what the tyrant has put me through, “you would realize change is the only way I could live.” If I didn’t toughen up, I would surely keep suffering by their hands.

***

Yunhyeong left me a while ago and immediately, I went back to slacking for a bit before Sanghee put me in my place again.

I was busy cleaning up at stall 7B – my last stall, thank God – when I looked up, noticing Hanbin heading towards me. Looks like someone needed a little cheering up. 

Based on his expression, doesn’t seem like whatever game that was finished, finished well. Before we went through the gates, Mino and Hanbin pretty much declared war on each other. Adamantly stating that they were going to crush one another.

I’m sure you’re all thinking ‘mature’ as you read that.

He placed his palm out before demanding, “Give me candy.”

Seeing him like this, I thought – just this once. I hope Taehyun and the others don’t catch me in the biased act. Taehyun would most definitely throw a temper tantrum.

I reached into the bucket that was meant to hold prizes for the festivalgoers and pulled out a lollipop for him. “Lost the war?” I’m sure he was taking it very hard after asserting so boldly that he wouldn’t lose to someone like Mino.

Hanbin ripped the wrapper before tossing the lollipop into his mouth. “…Just the battle.” He replied. 

“What’s next?”

“Basketball.” Hanbin pulled the lollipop out. “I’m definitely going to win.”

“Didn’t you also say that about soccer?” And we just heard how that ended.

Hanbin narrowed his eyes at me before explaining. “I’m sure about it this time. Ever since we were young, Mino at it.”

“You did say when he was ‘young’, I’m sure he’s better at it by now.” I didn’t hesitate to point out.

Hanbin shot me a look. “Why don’t you believe in me a little more?” 

“I’m realistic, so the amount of my belief is reflective of your track record.” I answered mercilessly. And based on his track record, I’m not sure if this will end pretty.

“If I want to be further discouraged, I’ll make sure to come back later.” He said in irritation before leaving my stall.

I watched him with a look of amusement. Was he sulking? My smile soon disappears as my mind gets consume with a reoccurring thought. 

I’ve been thinking about it often – especially, whenever Hanbin is around.

How long did Bobby intend to keep this act up? I mean it’s not hard to act normally around Hanbin now that I was slowly understanding how to deal with it all and it’s not hard since Hanbin is gullible…but that doesn’t mean the event on the rooftop evades my thoughts. I wonder what Bobby’s next step is.

It was almost an hour later when Sanghee stopped by. “Jiwoo.” She called out the moment she was in front of the counter. “You’re all done.” 

That was the best news I have heard all day. “What about you?”

“I’ll be done in a bit.” She smiled back at me. “Just look around first and I’ll catch up.” Happily hopping out from behind the stall, I joined the crowd and moved down the path. I watched each stall and at each one, I reminded myself how lucky I was to have to never do this again. Goodbye forever stalls, 2B, 3K, and 7B.

I continued down the many paths, knowing that I was close to the courts. Maybe Hanbin and Mino’s game is still going on. 

Most importantly, I wonder if I’ll catch a funny show if I hurry.

With that thought in mind, I moved a little faster, maneuvering through the large groups of people before arriving at the outdoor courts. The students were lined up around the sides, each cheering for their school. I looked up at the scoreboard to find Hanbin’s team in the lead with only two minutes of the game left. 

Well, maybe Hanbin will win after all.

My eyes focused back on the court, watching Hanbin running and dribbling the ball all the way towards hi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter