Chapter 43: Absolutely Impossible

The High School Tyrant
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“You’re joking.” I, the nice person that I am, answered the door in such a lively manner on my divine weekend morning to find it all useless and my happiness completely crushed with only bits of its remnants left behind. 

The betrayal.

“Hey, Jiwoo.” Unlike me, Sanghee greeted me happily while urging the others to follow her in. She was clearly ignoring my attitude – that just means I need to show her a little more of it for her to get it.

“Sanghee.” I called out as I watched Donghyuk and Jinhwan follow her into my home.

Jimin and Jiyoon looked up from the kitchen table to greet the unexpected guests. Their face showing how unbelievable the sight was.

At least I know I wasn’t the only one that felt that way.

“Jiwoo…” Jiyoon called for my attention. “I thought your only friend was Sanghee.”

“I thought so too.” I mumbled in response. I wasn’t even offended by her blunt words because it was the outright truth.

Jinhwan and Donghyuk politely greeted my two older sisters while Sanghee took the time to introduce them – something I was supposed to do but since I wasn’t agreeing with how things were occurring, I remained silent.

“This is Hanbin’s friend, Jinhwan.” Sanghee pointed to Jinhwan and then moved to Donghyuk. “And Donghyuk is my…” She stopped unsure how to proceed. “…Classmate.” Her simple description found Jimin and Jiyoon staring at her strangely and with Sanghee clearing to get rid of the awkward atmosphere. 

“Oh, this is his friend!” Jiyoon shot up from her chair and looked at Jinhwan. “I have a lot of questions to ask you.”

What is going on?

Sanghee turned to me. “You didn’t tell me your sisters found out about Hanbin.”

I sighed. It was because I didn’t want to think about it. “I’m guessing they called you about it?” I wouldn’t be surprised.

Sanghee nodded with a smile. 

Well, before any damage could take place, I walked forward and ushered the three ‘guests’ into the living room, leaving behind Jimin and Jiyoon. “Sanghee, did you forget whose home this is?” And no, I did not forget the real issue. 

“No, but Jinhwan and I are drama buddies.” Sanghee simply replied before getting the TV started. “And Donghyuk insisted on coming along.”

There was no surprise there with Donghyuk, but Jinhwan – a drama buddy? When did that happen? I turned to look at Jinhwan who happened to be rubbing the back of his neck timidly. 

“Sorry for intruding.” He offered words of apology. “It’s just…Sanghee has the latest episode of ‘Behind Those Lovely Eyes’ and I just need to see it and –“

Now I understand why he’s her buddy.

I sighed. “…Just make yourself at home.” Since there’s nothing left for me to do, I took a seat on the loveseat while the other three occupied the large couch. Once the drama started, the room immediately got quiet so I began focusing on them.

And it would have been absolutely mean if I laughed out loud and disrupted the calm air while they were focusing so hard.

Why, you ask?

Well, for one, I didn’t know which show to watch exactly. The show that was currently playing on the TV screen or the show that was happening on the couch playing right in front of my eyes. It seems that Donghyuk has a hard time trying to ignore how close Jinhwan and Sanghee were getting and the jealously was simply seeping from his pores. 

I’ve decided.

The Donghyuk show is more entertaining. Why do you need dramas when you have real life? And another bonus? It was free! 

The more I watched Donghyuk, the more I’m convinced that ‘liking someone’ sure is a funny thing and not exactly desirable.

***

Once again, I have started to go back to my old routine after the weekend – getting on the earlier bus so I would avoid Mino. After the whole asking for a ‘one date’ thing, I couldn’t seem to have an answer for him. Hanbin wasn’t the only one I was feeling bad for.

I started down the busy morning hall when someone brushed past me way too quickly for it to be natural. I stopped in my steps and spun around. “Hanbin.”

Hearing me call his name, he turned around to look at me. 

I pointed behind myself. “My locker is in this direction.” Isn’t it normal routine by now? I had actually stopped reminding him because his body automatically follows after me to help with my books. 

Almost as if he didn’t want to, Hanbin fidgeted around before coming with me to my locker. “Give me your backpack.” He places his hand out and I hand it over to him.

Isn’t there something strange about this? I continued looking at him from the side. “Do you really dislike being with Donghyuk that much?” I asked jokingly since it was another day and another week where he would be stuck beside the said boy.

“I’ll be fine.” He curtly answered.

Again, I noticed a difference in his tone…or am I just overthinking it? I quietly observed from the side. And just like that, Hanbin handed me back my backpack and not another word was spoken other than – 

“I’ll see you later.” 

Nope it wasn’t just me. He totally avoided meeting my eyes also. This is like what happened the other night when he left me in front of my house. 

Well, then.

I continued standing there, lost in my thoughts. I honestly have nothing to say to you all because not once did something like this crossed my mind. I never thought I would see the day where it seemed like Hanbin wanted to distance himself from me. And never did I think I would describe Hanbin with this word – quiet.

And at that moment, I wouldn’t have been able to predict that this would be the most interaction we’ll have for the next two days.

***

“Why are you staring at me?” Bobby asked casually. Once again, we were partners – I want to understand the method that our teacher uses because out of the fifteen other students in this classroom, how am I still stuck with him?

“Are you feeling uncomfortable yet?” I asked while observing him.

“Slightly.” He chuckled and continued working on our worksheet. “So, what is it that you want?” He asked once more.

“Don’t you want to tell me about your plans?” How do I play the games if I don’t know the rules?

“You can figure it out.”

“If you tell me, I won’t have to.” Why doesn’t he just allow me to conserve my energy? 

“Don’t you have better things to worry about?” He questioned instead.

Not, really. “Like what?”

“Like how Hanbin seems to be avoiding you.” His eyebrow quirked.

“He’s not avoiding me.” I denied. Hanbin has been giving me a well-deserved break – also giving himself a break at the same time. But the boy hasn’t been helping me and for some strange reason, I’ve been looking for him. I forgot how hard it was to pack my own backpack with just one hand.

How could he just ditch me when we have just this week left?

No one likes a quitter. 

“He’s avoiding.” Bobby unyieldingly corrects me. “He’s been getting into trouble lately.”

“I didn’t hear about it.”

“That’s the problem.” Bobby points out. “Aren’t you the one that fixes them?”

“Do you want me to be honest?” I asked before answering anyway. “Just because I have to fix, it still doesn’t mean I like doing it.” I’m actually quite thankful that he hasn’t mentioned it. I may be more welcome in doing it but again, not my favorite thing to do. So, if Hanbin wants to deal with it on his own, then he can. What is there for me to complain about exactly?

“Why is he avoiding you?”

“I already said that he isn’t.” I replied adamantly. “We’ve been sitting at the same table for lunch.” I brought up. “And isn’t it normal? Since he has to be beside Donghyuk all the time?” If he were beside Donghyuk, of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter