Chapter 2

Stare

JIYONG’S POV

 

I scrunched my nose to the stinking smell of blood in my hands. The man I killed is a stubborn . He knows it’s he’s end but he tried to escape multiple times making it hard for the both of us. I usually go for the instant kill but I didn’t anticipate that the man would be gifted with agility. By the reaction he gave when he saw me, he clearly knows that he will die tonight. I don’t understand people. Why would you struggle to fight something if you know that it is your destiny? He is destined to die. 

 

I always work clean, not evidence left. Not even a footprint. Tonight’s mission must be the messiest I’ve done. It must be because of the random lapse of poor eyesight. I hope I go blind. My world would be much silent if I can’t see. I can’t wait for the day that I’ll disappear.

After taking a shower, I headed to the couch and slam my body on it. I didn’t bother switching the lights on. The darkness never bothered me anyway. I’m so used to the dark that I can even see on pitch black darkness. It’s been a long day. I slowly drifted to sleep.

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

“Will you stop crying?!” I shouted quite loudly to this annoying kid who won’t stop following me. I ran away on home again to go on the forest to have some peace. This is not the peace I’m seeking. I stopped on my tracks and faced the girl whose face is puffed red because of her crying. To be honest I prefer her cries than the voices I hear at home. When will I disappear?

 

“Hey, you! Why are you following me? Are you lost? This is not a place for a kid. Go home.” I tried to coo her so that she will stop crying. I can’t take her earsplitting wails anymore.

 

“You’re a kid as well. So let’s go home together. Huh?” She suddenly stopped and stared directly at me.

 

She’s the first to look straight at me after that incident.

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

 

I woke up to the ringing of my phone on the table at the side of the couch. I am grateful for the interruption. Why did I dream of that? Why did I dream of her? She gave me false hope. I don’t want to remember her anymore. I reached for the phone and opened the message I received. It says that I am, ‘for the meantime’, relieved on my duties as his man, as his killer, as his murderer. News sure does travel fast. The man I just killed is the last on the list he gave me. I am sick of this life. When will I disappear?

 

I stood up knowing that I won’t be able to sleep anymore. I headed to the kitchen and got myself a glass of water. Papers are scattered everywhere on the table. I caught sight of one with the royal seal. . I almost forgot about this one. So this is why he was relieving me of being his killer. In a month time now, I am to babysit his son. And by babysit, I meant I am going to attend his school as well. TOP and I grew up together. I know how troublesome it is to clean every mess he makes. The thing is I don’t know why I can’t just leave him alone. He got nothing to do with me but why do I care? It’s out of pity, I guess. Being the youngest son of the King may be the hardest position you could ever imagine. And you can say that I am the best person to attest to that. We grew up together in one living quarter. Seeing what’s he’s experiencing everyday made me think that I am not the only one who wants to die. I set aside the glass and decided to go to the balcony. This is my favorite time of the day, dawn. For me the moon looks best on daybreak for any time now it will disappear. How fortunate for the moon. The ringing of my phone broke me from my reverie.

 

“Yoboseyo?”

 

“Yo, Jiyong. It’s been a long time.” Disinterest visible on his voice.

 

“TOP, what’s the matter? Why did you call?”

 

“It’s nice to hear from you too, man.”

 

“Just get to the point.” He better not called me for nothing.

 

“You sound like a grumpy old man. Anyway, we are on our way there. We’ll pick you up.”

 

“What’s this about?” Did I miss something?

 

“We are going to the Cross Castle today.”

 

“Cross? But you are supposed to transfer next month. Why the sudden change?”

 

“King’s order.” He replied flatly.

 

“Alright, I’ll see you later.” And with that he hung up.

 

 

TOP isn’t the type to be submissive but when it comes to his father he can’t do anything but to say yes to whatever he wants. TOP is the youngest son of the King. He’s 6th in line for the throne but he never showed interest in becoming the King. He hates attention as much as I do.

 

I went to my room to pack some clothes because this trip will take for an indefinite period. Our transfer to this school has any degree of permanency. TOP did transfer to a lot of schools before but those are just for a show. This time the description on the order was to stay there permanently and to mention that the King wants me to accompany him makes it a lot more suspicious. I know the King too well to just only call this a father-looking-after-his-son. There’s a hidden motive behind this.

 

I removed my shirt to change in a more appropriate one. The mirror beside the door gave me a grim reminder on how senseless my life is. The scars, the tattoos and most of all the blue eyes. I concentrated and tried to undo my other eye but to no avail. For some reasons I don’t know, I can’t change my eyes back to normal. A lot are saying I am such a show-off for I always have my other eye but really, after the ritual of unveiling my eyes never changed back to its original color. The ritual of unveiling is probably the most feared event of every parents. It is the ritual that will decide your future. The future fate gave me is the worst you could ever imagine. But what can I do? You can’t change your fate. I grabbed a hoodie and wore it. I heard a honking outside. That must be them.  I grabbed my things and headed downstairs to meet them.

 

I was welcomed by the Prince’s entourage. I headed directly to where TOP is.

 

“Waaah. Really. Is that how you show your respect to a Prince? Suddenly barging in?”

 

“If you don’t want me to be on the same car as you, you can get out and transfer to another one.” I put my seatbelt on while TOP is laughing hysterically. He signaled the car to go.

 

“Yah, did something happen earlier today?” TOP’s aura looks weird. He gave me a sharp look before smirking.

 

“Uri Jiyong is as keen as ever. I thought the effects would be gone by now. Let’s just say I had my morning eye exercise.” Now I know why he doesn’t want to ride with me.

 

Being a YG gives you an immense potential. During one of the days I hanged out in the palace’s library, I learned a lot about the nature of a YG. According to the written history, YGs differ in specialty but are all equally dangerous. When they summon their other eyes their speed, wit, skills and everything else will exponentially enhance, making them lethal. In my case, the strongest skill I have is the ability to see aura. People’s auras are all unique. They differ in color, in feel and in some other cases in sizes. TOP ‘s usual aura is just a light violet that radiates in him but right now the aura that is surrounding his hands is surging. Moreover, the hue is dark. He must have hit someone before picking me up.

 

“Do you know the reason why he sent you in this particular school?” I asked him though I doubt that he knows more than I do.

 

“No idea but when I last saw Bom she said something about a prophecy. I don’t know if that is even connected to this but I think it’s worth considering.”

 

“So what’s the prophecy about?” It is unlikely for the King to listen to such things but if it in any way endangers his throne he will do anything to prevent it from happening.

 

“She did tell me the prophecy but I wasn’t paying attention that time so yeah, I don’t know. But don’t worry I have a feeling she and her gang will show up real soon. I’ll just ask her then.”

 

Bom is a YG as well. She’s the leader of some kind of group that opposes the government, I think. She works flawless though. I don’t think the King even know she’s a YG. She’s good at concealing. Her whereabouts are always unknown.

 

The rest of the ride was silent until we reached our destination. The Cross Castle used to be a royal residence but when it was not inhabited for a long time it was donated and converted into a school. They said the people who used to live here is the King’s sister who they kept from the public eye. It was just a rumor so no one knew if it is even true.

 

==

 

The convoy halted and TOP’s car stopped beside the red carpet. I hate these kinds of things, making a big deal out of a royal presence. Sure, it is necessary but do they really need to gather all their students? TOP got off and greeted the school representatives. Before getting out I wore and pulled my head low in attempt to hide my eyes. I hate it when they are staring or glaring rather. I hate it even more when I am unconsciously endangering their life by merely looking at their eyes. When I stepped out I immediately felt it. It is not the usual feeling of danger, this one is different. There is something sinister in this place that I find disturbing.

 

TOP started walking and I followed. When we were near the staircase, it came to me that it is not the place that I find disturbing but it is 'someone'.

 

When I looked at her I was astounded by the size of her aura, the people beside her looks as if they are being swallowed by her aura. What surprised me even more is the color that is surrounding her, a pure black that overpowers the light.

 

 

“Jiyong, let’s go.”

 

I heard TOP calling me causing me to look away. This is the first time I encountered such aura. When we were inside I threw a glance at TOP.

 

“I know. Is she the one that feels weird?”

 

I nodded on his question. I expect nothing less from a YG. He knew there was something wrong in here. I am going to check this. I turned to Hwangssabu, the head of TOP’s security details, and asked about the security on the perimeter. He told that there was a report that they found someone dead near the east gate.

 

“Was he murdered?” I asked. Death on our first day here, this will not be boring I guess.

 

“No signs of foul play but they are investigating it already.”

 

“Give me the full report when it’s done.” I instructed him and we headed in another room for another boring meeting. Before going inside the room TOP told me that he’s giving me permission to wander around. He’s got to be kidding me. He doesn’t need to give me permission because I am so not going to seat in a boring meeting. I set out and started my ‘little’ exploration.

 

 

____________________________________________________

 

 

DARA’S POV

 

The news about the Prince's arrival spread like wildfire. It turned out that it is not just a simple visit but he is transferring here. There will probably be a LOT of addition to the school rules, security tightening and that kind of stuffs. Does that mean I can't ditch anymore? Tss. No fun. Well, at least, I can count that the cafeteria food will be now acceptable to my picky taste. ANYWAY.

Where the hell is that kid? School is over but she’s not yet here. Teddy will be here any moment. I tried calling her phone but she’s not picking up. The students that are not staying on the school dorm are slowly being fetched by their chauffeurs. I sat on one of the plant boxes that are lined beside the driveway. What a peaceful afternoon. The sun is setting painting the sky in a beautiful orange color. I touched my cross pendant, suddenly feeling nostalgic.

 

I was marveling the beauty of the sunset when I suddenly got the feeling of someone is watching me. , this is making me nervous. I tried looking for the source of it but I can’t tell where it is coming from. Weird. I am usually good with finding a ‘presence’ but I can’t find this one. The gift I received on the ritual of unveiling is, according to Minji’s grandfather, feeling the unseen. I started hearing a faint buzz and that means one thing, whoever or whatever that is, is giving me a not so friendly look. When I get the feeling of a strange ‘presence’ and it is accompanied by a buzz it means that there is a dark intent behind it. Oh my gosh! This place is not haunted, is it? I stood up with a clear intention of leaving Minji behind because well, I am fcking scared. I started walking when I heard Minji.

 

“Dara-unnie, there you are! We’ve been waiting for you. What are you doing here?” Minji reached me panting.

 

“Yah, Minji, can’t you feel anything?” I roamed my eyes around and she did the same. She gave me an incredulous look. Heol.

 

“I told you we’re using the west exit. You forgot it, didn’t you? Come on. Teddy-oppa is waiting.”

 

She dragged me out of there much to my liking. The feeling of someone’s watching me is still there. Minji get me out of here juseyo! T.T

 

Before turning in the corner of the main building, I saw the hooded guy leaning in one of the trees while looking intently at me.