Vanilla

Popularity Scale

Kyungsoo wasn't the type for big crowds, so when the entire sophomore class had to meet in the auditorium, he was pretty terrified. Baekhyun was a grade above the boy, so he couldn't even be comforted by the latter. However, the fear slowly disappeared when he saw his crush come in from the side door with two of his friends, a smile was on Kai's face and the latter was jealous of his perfect straight white teeth, Kyungsoo's were a little stained, due to the hot chocolate, and his were a little messed up. He would never get braces, he barely could stand the dentist.

Kyungsoo sat down in the second to last row in the back and crossed his right leg over his left, he looked back at Kai and hoped that the boy would sit next to him. However, Kai sat down next to this pretty girl in this yellow dress that went down to her knees. Kyungsoo sighed and slouched in his chair, uncrossing his legs and whistled to himself. He wondered why he had fallen for a guy like Kai, then he knew why he did, Kai was his ideal type. Kyungsoo liked guys who were taller than him and were manly.

"Quiet down, please." came a raspy voice from the speakers to Kyungsoo's right. It was the school's principal, Mr. Jung. "Quiet down." he said again into the microphone in front of him.

Mr. Jung was a ex-military commander and no one knew why he was now the principal, his appearance definitly didn't fit the normal description of a principal. He was all muscle and even under his suit and tie, you could see how toned his body was. He had a buzz-cut haircut, so there was only black stubble on his head.

When the auditorium finally became quiet enough, Mr. Jung spoke "Hello, sophomore's. I'm happy to see you all are enjoying your second year here, and I hope to see all of you next year too. Today, for the entire day, I want you all to take these," he motioned his hand towards the brown boxes to his right "and hand them out to every student you encounter." another employee ripped off the tape with a utility knife and took out an item wrapped in white foil. "Inside the wrapping is a bar of chocolate, some have a blue ticket, some have a red ticket. The blue tickets represent a plus, red represents a minus. Each student will be given a box, each with a random number of either blue and or red tickets. I will call you by last name, so please come up when I do."

Kyungsoo's eyes widened. He would have to come up in front of the entire sophomore class, in front of Kai, to be stared at by every student in that auditorium. He felt the butterflies start in his stomach. He groaned quietly and gripped the arm rests tight, the girl next to him eyed him then shrugged.

"Ah Seyeon, Bae Hyuk, and Byun Josuk." Mr. Jung said into the microphone. Kyungsoo sighed with relief, they would be calling them up in threes. When the three who were called got their boxes and returned, Mr. Jung called the next three, then the next, then another three, then it was Kyungsoo's turn. "Dae Yojin, Dee Haeso, Do Kyungsoo." Kyungsoo, and the two girls beside him, rose from their seats and got their boxes. Kyungsoo quickly glanced at the audience, he looked back and grabbed his box and scurried back to his seat, he let the two girls in then sat down. He kind of blanked out until Kai's name was called, he watched the blonde boy rise from his seat and grab his box. Kyungsoo was tense and nervous when going up, Kai was confident and walking up like it was nothing.

Baekhyun waited by the auditorium doors with anticipation when he heard the many voices speak, the meeting was over and Baekhyun wondered what it was about. Then suddenly a white foil hit his chest, then another, then another few were pushed into his chest. His hands were filled with white foil and half of the sophomore class stared at him.

Kyungsoo s his arm into Baekhyun's and dragged him away, almost all the chocolate falling from his hand. The students picked up one of the chocolate bars and scurried away.

"What was that about?" Baekhyun asked when they were in a different hall. Kyungsoo handed the confused boy one of his chocolates from his box, Baekhyun took it and eyed it "What is this for?"

"Open it." Baekhyun shrugged his shoulders and a blue ticket almost fell out if it wasn't for Baekhyun's quick reflexes. Kyungsoo smiled "I got a point."

Baekhyun turned the blue ticket around numerous times while asking "What?"

"We had an assembly, it's like "who can get the most points". Blue means a point, red means you lose a point. The one with the most points wins a trip with a friend to the local amusement park."

"The new one?"

Kyungsoo nodded.

Suddenly Ashley ran up to the two with a surprised look on her face "I was attacked by sophomores!"

A few hour laters Baekhyun tied a green apron around his body and sighed. He was standing behind a counter that was filled with health drinks, which were on display, and food behind a plastic see-through wall. Baekhyun worked here everyday after school for some spending money, you couldn't go shopping without money, and wokring at the cafe was the easiest job.

Kyungsoo, Luhan, and Ashley sat at the nearest table, chatting about the upcoming water park trip for all the students. Each year the school, after raising money from various oppourtunites, sends the students to this famous water park where they can take a break from classes.

"Kai." Ashley said.

"Cute." Luhan answered.

The two looked at Kyungsoo.

"What?"

"Do you think Kai is cute or-oh wait we already know. You think he's hot!" Ashley said teasingly.

Kyungsoo slapped Ashley's arm and looked around. Kai sat only a few feet away reading a book on the cafe's leather couch, his right leg crossed over his left and a faint smell of cologne radiated from his body. He was still wearing the same clothes from school, unlike Hyoyeon who was sitting to the right to him sipping on her green tea. She was now wearing light blue t-shirt and black jeans with white sandals, which was completely different from today's school outfit, which she wore a turquoise dress that reached past her knees with black high heels.

The scale rules did apply outside of school, but that didn't mean different level bars couldn't somehow end up in the same restaurant or something like that. They weren't embarrassed to see each other either, like most teens, they just gave each other a simple look then walked their separate ways.

Kai smiled. Hyoyeon looked at him then looked at Kyungsoo, she shrugged her shoulders and continued to sip her tea while watching a fashion show on her tablet. She looked at Kai after a commercial started, he was staring straight ahead at Kyungsoo...again. She nudged his shoulder, he looked over and his smiled disappeared.

"Stop staring at him, Kai. He's a two bar, you're a five bar."

"I wasn't staring at him." Kai said.

"Then what do you call that smile that was on your face when that girl said he likes you?"

"I didn't smile."

"Kai, honey, I love you, you are like a brother to me-"

"I am your brother."

"Shut up, as I was saying, the rules say you can't even like a lower level, you can only like a level five."

"I know."

"So stop-"

"I know, Hyoyeon."

Hyoyeon sighed, shook her head, took another sip of her tea and looked back at her tablet to finish watching the fashion show. Kai looked once more at Kyungsoo then looked down at his book. He bit his lip and looked back up at Kyungsoo, who has just rose from his seat. The two sitting with him also got up, the girl grabbed her purse, the other boy grabbed his phone and Kyungsoo rubbed his forearm. Suddenly, another boy joined the group, it was Baekhyun. He remembered him, he came out of the closet and was demoted to the second bar.

Kyungsoo was the last one to past Kai as the four were leaving. Kai could smell his cologne, he knew exactly what it was too, and felt his heart jump. The truth was, Kai always liked Kyungsoo, he knew that when the boy bumped into him. He stared into those eyes for only a second and fell in love. If only his eyes turned Kai on, he wondered what else the boy could do to make him even more smitten.

Hyoyeon eyed her brother and sighed "Boys."

-----------------------------------------

So...you learned Kai's secret. I hope you like this story so far. 

1) Are you the "popular" person in your school?