Fly on the wall

Popularity Scale

When you entered the school, you would see a group of girls in the school's official cheerleading outfit with the school's color, which was a light blue that really only complemented this pale girl with dirty blonde pigtails. The cheerleaders were the fourth bar on the popularity scale, they were right behind the "Queen" and her lackeys. Then if you turned to your left, you would see the jocks in their school jacket while also holding their books to their hip side. They were on the same level so they could date, kiss, make-out or whatever students did outside of school, yeah, the popularity school was even still in effect after school. The nerds would hang out in the library, comic store and occasionally the mall if they wanted to video games. They were the second bar on the scale.

The "Queen" walked through the halls, her blonde hair styled to perfection and her make-up perfectly produced. She never had to lift a finger, unless she really needed to, she was the queen of the school and everyone knew that. Well, everyone except the first bar students. They were either transfers, newbies', or people who decided to remain below the radar or a mixture of all three. However, the first bars had the chance to move to the third or fourth bar if they played their cards right. Usually the transfers and newbies' would make third if they are attractive enough, but if they weren't they were put to the second bar. There was only one girl that went from a one bar to a four bar, that was the queen's sister, Seohyun.

Seohyun was a quiet girl and would rather read than party, unlike her popular sister. She had black long hair and an innocent and pure face that could make anyone's day. She had that aura that made anyone feel comfortable if they were around her. She never went to sporting events, despite having a four bar jock named Yonghwa. She would try to befriend the three or second bar students, but her sister always scolded her. She hated the scale and when her sister would leave, she would do whatever it took to end the scale forever.

Seohyun did have a secret friend though, a friend who she knew since middle school. He was tall, had black hair, but his original color was a dark brown, and he was a second bar. The two were good friends until the boy moved down the scale to second, he was a four until he came out as gay. It wasn't like the "Queen" hated gays, she had no problems with them, but the scale has a rule with homouals. They are either second or, if lucky enough, a third bar.

The boys name was Byun Baekhyun, and he was quite the catch when you first met him. Despite his second bar status, he was attractive, he had a slender body and an amazing voice. He was in the fourth bar because he was in the school band as the lead singer, his voice was amazing, the "Queen" even introduced him to an agent if he wants to continue his singing career. However, that ended after he went down in the scale for coming out.

It was normal for students to go down in the scale. If you talked bad about the "Queen" or the "Queen" felt you didn't deserve your place, you were moved down to where she thought you should be. The teachers could do nothing about it. There wasn't any real bullying being displayed, no one was left out because no one was ever left alone. You were either with your group or were alone because you wanted to be.

The "Queen" had a name, Hyoyeon. She was like every other student, despite the scaling, she was the captain of the dance team and was a four-year member of the girls-only chorus. She didn't have an amazing voice, but she could dance circles around anyone. There was never anyone trying to overthrow the "Queen", she wasn't a tyrant, she wasn't mean, she just kept to herself and her bar-mates. She always won homecoming and prom queen, it was destined from when she was born. Her mother was the "Queen" and so was her grandmother.

Hyoyeon walked through the halls with fierceness, each step accompanied by the sound of her high heels. She wore a light green dress with a black middle that hugged her waist perfectly, it stopped just after her knees caps. Her blonde hair was flowing in the wind and her light black eyeliner gave her a more sultry and fierce look as she looked at level four jocks. She was single, since she could only date level five guys, but that didn't mean she couldn't give the men who envied her a long glance. She was just like every other student, tied to the bar and she couldn't escape, she could only go down.

She barely noticed the level two boys at their lockers, one was wearing a black t-shirt, blue skinny jeans and a white beanie that complemented his blonde hair. The other boy was wearing a black sweater that had a grungy looking number on it, it looked like a 57 but it could have been a 59, and pure white slacks. He moved his black bangs out of his eyes so he could see his friend better, a warm smile on his face as he spoke. Baekhyun wasn't the only one who had a voice, this kid wasn't as good as the latter but his voice memorized many at the pep rally, but no one knew it was him since he was hidden under the school's mascot costume.

Hyoyeon knew it was him though, she knew everything. His name was Do Kyungsoo, he had moved here last year and only moved up one bar, he didn't really care though. Kyungsoo just wanted to be friends with someone, he was the loner in his old school, and it was nice to finally have people to talk to. Hyoyeon knew his biggest secret too, he was gay. She was talking to a level four jock, who was her partner in the science lab, and overheard Kyungsoo explaining his ideal type to Baekhyun, she was shocked to hear him say that it was a guy.

Kyungsoo pulled down his black 57 or 59 shirt and fixed his slacks. Hyoyeon knew what he was thinking, he was thinking that he was fat but in reality he was skinny. Hyoyeon's step brother was just like that. Kyungsoo looked at Hyoyeon, who quickly looked away and continued walking, then looked back at Baekhyun.

"So, we on for the mall?" Baekhyun asked again.

Kyungsoo nodded "Yeah, I'm ready to get my shopping on."

Baekhyun smiled and put an arm over Kyungsoo's shoulder "I love having a gay friend."

Kyungsoo wasn't sure what else to say, he just replied with a "yeah" and walked with Baekhyun to the cafeteria to get some breakfast. Kyungsoo would always get the same thing, a medium hot chocolate and buttered toast, it never changed. Baekhyun on the other hand always got something different, yesterday it was a banana smoothie and an apple, today it would be a chocolate milk and a blueberry bagel with peanut butter.

When they arrived at their table with their food, they were joined by another male, almost six foot but not quite there yet, red hair and the urge to be more manly, which was impossible due to his cute face. In his hand was a bottle of water and in the other was a book he has been reading for a week now. The try-hard boy was wearing a extra large sweater that had the letters "E", "X", and "O" in gray print in the front with a black background, black jeans and a pair of high tops.

"Hey, Luhan." Baekhyun greeted before taking a bite of his bagel.

"Hey." he said to Baekhyun before turning to Kyungsoo "Guess what."

"What?"

"I know a way to make myself more manly."

"You are still trying to do that?" Baekhyun asked with annoyance. He sighed and put a hand on Luhan's forearm "Honey, you are perfect the way you are. Don't try to change yourself."

Luhan eyed him then turned to Kyungsoo "This is way I want to change myself, I hate people thinking I'm some honey. I'm ing Luhan!"

Kyungsoo covered the try-hard's mouth "Keep it down, people might stare."

Kyungsoo was the older of the three, but was the most quiet and timid. He hated big crowds, being the center of attention and attracting attention. He would get butterflies in his stomach and start to stutter, it was embarrassing and he hated it, but he wasn't going change like Luhan.

"I doubt a three, four, or five bar would care what I say. Even if I insult them all they would do is give me a look and threaten to beat me up, but the scale prohibits fighting and bullying, so I'm safe."

"Until someone breaks that scale." Kyungsoo adds before taking a sip of his drink.

"Impossible."

"Not really, I don't see anyone jumping for the chance to be the next "Queen". So that means the scale could be officially over next year."

"Don't jinx it, pabo." a female voice said. The three boys turned to where the voice was and smiled at the girl "Wassup'?"

Baekhyun scooted his chair over so the girl could sit. The girl was wearing a plain white t-shirt, blue jeans, and flip-flops. Her brown hair was brought into a high bun and the individual colored strands of her hair were easily seen.

"Notin'. What up with you, Ashley?" Baekhyun asked as she pulled a chair over to sit.

Ashley was Baekhyun's closest girl friend and was the only girl in the group. She was a second bar, of course, and is a dancer under this company that provides their dancers for idols. She has danced for BoA, Kahi, Jay Park, and some male groups. Despite her being the popular choice to dance with idols, she is a second bar due to her brother being a second bar. Sibling's can't rise up the bar if their brothers or sisters aren't, or weren't, in the next bar or even further ahead. Ashley was stuck in the second bar unless by some sheer luck that the "Queen" decided to "promote" her, but then she would have leave her friends, and you have to.

Ashley almost always had good news when she talked to the guys, it was either dancing for idols or being the "dancer of the month" at the company. However, this time it was different "I got something from the mall yesterday."

"What?"

"This cute pink top that hugs my body perfectly, it makes my s like big too." she smiled and patted Baekhyun and Luhan on the back "I'm glad I have gay friends instead of straight friends. I can say stuff like that and not worry about you guys one bit."

The three boys chuckled and continued talking to Ashley for a bit until a bell rang.

", I'm going to be late if I don't hurry, see you guys later!" Ashley said before getting up and running off to her class, which was two stories above her.

"I'll see you two later." Luhan said before walking off, his class was on this floor.

Baekhyun nudged Kyungsoo's side "Ready?" Kyungsoo nodded. They were about to get up when Baekhyun pulled Kyungsoo down "O.M.G, it's Kai!"

Kyungsoo looked around the room and noticed the tall, blonde haired boy walking with his two friends behind him. Kai was also a dancer like Ashley, even under the same company, but he was a five bar. Kai had it all too, the looks, the body, the popularity, and he rose from a three to a five just last year. Kyungsoo had a major crush on him, ever since he accidently bumped into him and spilled everything he had in his hands all over the ground. The blonde boy helped him up and helped him pick up his things, it was very daring for a four to help out a two, it was rare.

Kai only gave Kyungsoo a quick glance before looking straight ahead to the cashier, who was currently checking out another student. Kyungsoo sighed and turned to his friend "I'm like a fly on the wall."

"At least he doesn't smush you." Baekhyun added before getting up from his seat, Kyungsoo did the same and the two walked to their first classes.

----------------------------------------

I hope you liked this first chapter. Stay tuned!

1) Like the idea of the story?