Facing it head on

Popularity Scale

Kyungsoo stared at Kai, who was chatting with his friends with a smile on his face. Ashley appeared beside the boy and spoke into his ear "How dare he just blow it off and be all fine. You just confessed to him and he had the queen deal with it and not himself. How rude." Ashley stood in front of Kyungsoo, who was wearing a sad look on his face. Ashley sighed, took her index and thumb and made Kyungsoo's drooping lips into a smile.

"I say you show him how you feel." Luhan said behind him.

"I agree." Baekhyun added.

"Me too."

"Go away, Chanyeol."

"I can't leave my baby!" Chanyeol wrapped his arms around Baekhyun and squeezed him tight.

"Let go of me you lumbering giant!"

Chanyeol squeezed tighter and started to shake Baekhyun around as he smiled happily. Baekhyun sighed and gave up trying, Chanyeol wasn't going to give up and it wasn't like he hadn't done something like this before. Even if you kick a most likely drug addict Chanyeol in the nuts, he will stay latch onto you with a smile.

Ashley placed her hand on Kyungsoo's shoulder "Would you like me to go with you?"

"No."

"Really?"

"Yeah."

"Sweet, well I have to-"

"I'm going to go home instead, I like that plan better. Bye!" Kyungsoo bolted towards the door down the opposite end of the hall, gaining looks from many rank fours and fives. Kai watched him run out at almost the speed of a man on a bike.

Hyoyeon appeared aside almost by magic and nudged his side, the boy looked over at her. Hyoyeon looked to where her brother was and looked at the people looking at the door. Then she saw it, an unconscious boy laying on the ground.

"Oh my god, Kyungsoo!" Ashley screamed as she crouched beside the boy and touched his forehead, a red substance appeared on her fingers, she almost screamed. "He's bleeding!

"I always knew he was a clutz, but I never thought he would actually ever run into a door." Luhan said as he walked up to his friend with worry. Baekhyun, followed by Chanyeol, did the same.

Kai tried to get a look at who it was, but he couldn't see past the crowd gathered around him. All different classes on the scale gathered around Kyungsoo, it was the first time any of the different classes ever spoke to each other or even acknowledged one another. A level two spoke to a level four, a level five crouched beside Kyungsoo, claiming him to be an intern at the hospital, and a familiar level four appearing beside Ashley. Ashley rose, said something to him, then walked up to Kai.

Ashley poked Kai's chest "This is all your fault!"

Hyoyeon swatted Ashley's finger away and got in between the two "Got a problem with him? Then speak with me."

"This does not involve you! This won't even answer Kyungsoo's love letter and this is what happened because of it! My friend is laying on that ing floor with a ing bloody forehead!"

"He did answer, he rejected it. That boy's injury is not because of my brother, it's because he hit the door. So stop blaming my brother and get out of my face before I mess up yours."

"Bring it, !"

The two went at it immediately, hair pulling, name-calling that wasn't really school appropriate, punches to the head, basically anything that wasn't fatal the two used. Ashley grabbed onto Hyoyeon's t-shirt and pulled as hard as she could, she spun the latter around and released her towards the lockers, before Ashley could continue her attack a hand around her wrist stopped her. It was Kai.

"Let me ing go, you !"

"Just stop-"

"Die, !" a voice said before Ashley was tackled to the ground with great force. Hyoyeon sat on Ashley's stomach, landing consecutive hits to Ashley's face. Kai just stared as her, usually timid, sister ravaged Ashley's face. The latter tried to fight back, but each time she tried she was hit with another barrage of fists from the "Queen".

Suddenly Hyoyeon was ripped off Ashley. The fighting had ceased and both sides were breathing heavily. Kai stood between the two.

"Kai-"

"Shut up!" Kai's voice made Hyoyeon jump. "I've had enough of this, this ing scale , the truth is," he walked to the crowd and clawed his way through to the semi-conscious Kyungsoo, who was and groaning from the overwhelming pain in his forehead and kneeled beside him "I've been talking to this boy, this level two, for almost ever and I never felt so happy in my entire life. When I finally found out that it was him when he confessed to me, I was happy, but scared, because this ing scale messes with our lives, our freedom. Why the do we have to be labled as a nerd, a jock, or someone so popular everyone wishes they were her? Because of this scale, this boy is hurt and the ing "Queen" attacked his friend for standing up for him. I won't stand for this, because I shouldn't have to be forced to like who I want and who I want to be friends with."

"Kai-"

"Hyoyeon, I love you, you're my sister, but if I can't be with this boy, this boy who makes me happy and makes smile, then I'll go crazy. I can't take this damn scale any longer. Why can't we just stop this?"

"Those aren't the rules, Jongin. You know-"

"I don't care about the rules," he pointed at Kyungsoo and Ashley, who was leaning against the locker with Luhan. "don't you see what they caused? They caused the students to revolt against one another, to be branded as popular and nonpopular, to be forced to like a certain amount of people." Kai looked down at Kyungsoo and put his arms underneath the boy, then picked him up bridal style. Kyungsoo's head rested on Kai's chest, which was beating fast, and closed his eyes. "I'm done. I'm done choosing my friends. I'm done with it all, I'll like a guy if I want to, I'll kiss a guy if I want and I'll like Kyungsoo if I want. Deal with it." Kai looked into the crowd of shocked students. "You can do whatever you want, follow some damn rules that started from who knows when or finally be ourselves and be free. Your choice and you make it right now. I made my choice, it's your turn."

Kai turned to the door and walked out. Two men appeared in front of him, it was Baekhyun and Chanyeol

"I'm done too." Baekhyun said.

"Me too."

"Go away, Chanyeol."

"No, I made my choice to be with you!" Chanyeol wrapped his arms around Baekhyun.

Kai turned around, Luhan helpng an injured Ashley walk walked up to him "We are done too." the two said in unison. They looked at each other and giggled, then joined Baekhyun and Chanyeol on the other side.

Suddenly a girl in a brown t-shirt and blue jeans walked out and passed Kai and stood beside Ashley, she was a level five. Then a tall man wearing a football jersey and blue jeans walked past Kai and stood beside Luhan. One by one, students started crossing over. Hyoyeon watched as her friends, her only friends, walked past Kai and joined the different classes on the other side. There weren't any students inside the school except for Hyoyeon.

"Are you done, Hyoyeon?" Kai asked.

Hyoyeon sighed and walked to Kai. She stopped in front of him and eyed the boy in his arms "You really are happy?" Kai looked down at Kyungsoo and smiled. Hyoyeon eyed him then sighed again "I'm done." Hyoyeon passed over to other side, walked up to Ashley and bowed 90 degrees "I'm sorry for almost killing you, Ashley." Ashley nodded and stook out her hand. Hyoyeon eyed it then took it "How about we go shopping sometime?"

"Girl, that sounds amazing!" Ashley immediately said.

The two giggled and Hyoyeon turned around to see her brother and Kyungsoo. Kai smiled and walked to the crowd. Suddenly the crowd erupted into cheer and screams. The teachers from their classrooms heard the noise and stared out their windows, some thought it was a protest and went to investigate. One of the history teachers walked out and asked for an explanation.

"What are we doing?" Kai answered with a question. He smiled and looked down at Kyungsoo, who smiled up at him "Being free."

----------------------

ENJOY?!

1) Did you like this short story?