Happy Birthday Chan

Fuff Sprout Family

Jinyoung was leaning over Shinwoo’s chest, enjoying the warmth of his body. His eyes closed, trying to absorb every little scent of his lover’s body.

“It’s been days since we’ve been alone like this” the oldest said in a soft voice.

Jinyoung smiled “Leaving the kids at your mother’s was the best idea ever”

They had just had morning and they were in a good mood. Morning was one of the things they had to give up when the twins grew up and could walk to their bedroom on their own, and to be honest, they both really missed it. Jinyoung peeked a slow kiss from Shinwoo’s lips and stood up, saying that he needed to take a shower.

The man with the long hair followed the figure of his spouse until it disappeared behind the bathtub curtains and put his own boxers on. He didn’t feel like calling his mom while being completely .

“Hello mom?” he said when his mother answered at the other side.

“Good morning, Shinwoo. How are you today?”

“Fine, how about you? Are the kids giving you much trouble?”

“They’re having breakfast here with me. Say hi to eomma boys” Grandma asked the children

Shinwoo smiled at the sound of three little voices saying good morning at him, he also smiled at his mom calling him eomma.

“Listen, mom. We need to take care of that and we’ll be there for lunch okay?”

“Of course, don’t worry. We’re having fun here. Drive safely”

Shinwoo hung up the phone and started making up the bed, tomorrow was Gongchannie’s special day and Jinyoung and him wanted it to be perfect. Birthdays were just once a year right? They had to buy a cake and balloons and also the presents and they only had one morning to do so, lucky they were such a good team. Lucky they had a good morning.

 

Gongchan was distracted while having breakfast. He had this idea in his head, and it won’t stop spinning around.

“Are you going to finish it?” his brother asked pointing to his bowl of rice. He looked at his hyung’s rounded face, smiling at him and he couldn’t help but smile back.

“Take it. I’m not hungry anymore”

“Great” said Junghwan, grateful that his grandma didn’t notice he was taking his brother’s plate

“Deullie wait” Baro stopped him “Chan, are you okay?”

“Yes I’m fine hyung. Let him have it if he’s hungry”

“See? He just doesn’t want it” Junghwan complained

“Fatty”

“Leave me alone”

Grandma spoke out loud in that moment, stopping the fight “Say hi to eomma boys!”

Eomma. Appa. Gongchan couldn’t stop thinking about them. He barely noticed when he said hi on the phone. The idea wouldn’t stop spinning. Maybe, just maybe, he should tell his hyungs. They’d know what to do.

He thought that he’d try with his cute hyung first. Probably because Baro would tell him that his idea was weird, and he really didn’t need to hear that. Sandeul, on the other hand, was easy to charm. He’d be amazed in a second, and he would tell him no only if it was a super bad idea, which he doubted.

He found Baro in the backyard, playing with his soccer ball but Sandeul wasn’t there. He wasn’t watching TV either. So of course, he was in the kitchen.

Junghwan was peeking into a cupboard, tiptoeing for he was too short to look inside. Gongchan laughed at himself.

“What are you doing, Sandeullie-huyng?”

Sandeul jumped in surprise, almost falling on the floor and then sighed when he saw that it was only his brother.

“Aigoo, you scared me” he pouted

“You were looking for a snack” Gongchan accused him

“Cookies” Sandeul bit his lip “Are you going to tell grandma?”

Sometimes Gongchan asked himself who was the hyung and who the dongsaeng.

“Not if you help me” his brother gave him a questioning look “I want to give eomma and appa a present for my birthday”

“But the birthday is yours” Junghwan didn’t understand a thing

“I knew you were here!” Baro entered the room in that moment, with dirt in his nose and the ball under the arm “I’ve caught you”

“I caught him first” Gongchan said

“No one caught me, I’m innocent” Sandeul protested

“You never are in a kitchen Deullie”

Grandma found the three of them in that moment and gave them a suspicious look. Before anyone could say anything, Junghwan spoke.

“Gongchan wants to give eomma and appa presents on his birthday”

 

“Do you have any idea of what can we give Gongchannie on his birthday?” Jinyoung asked when they were paying for the cake at the bakery

“Indeed, I do. But it might be a crazy idea”

“I’ll take anything”

* * *

Gongchan wasn’t able to sleep. He was watching his first sunrise, he was five years old, almost as old as his brothers, and he couldn’t sleep anymore. He couldn’t wait to give his parents their present. Junghwan and Sunwoo helped him with it, they said that they wanted to thank their parents for giving them a brother, too. So it was their present, not his. But he didn’t care, because the result was great and he was impatient.

But he was tired and when the sun was finally up, our Gongchan was again asleep. Until some voices came creeping out from the door.

“You’re going to wake him up guys” Gongchan heard his eomma saying

“When are we going to eat cake?” his oldest brother asked, it couldn’t be anyone else

“Shut up, Deullie” Baro said

“Okay, let’s do this”

Gongchan closed his eyes fiercely, waiting for his family to wake him up. That’s when someone started tickling his feet. It was his appa.

“Wake up, Gongchannie” he said smiling “Happy birthday little boy”

Gongchan started laughing, shaking his feet, giggling. Junghwan and Baro started singing happy birthday. The youngest of the Jungs smiled widely when he finally opened his eyes and saw his eomma holding a big dino balloon and his appa holding a pretty box with a ribbon. Baro had a card on his hands.

“…happy birthday to you”

“Thank you! Appa, eomma! Thank you hyungs!”

“Do you want to open your present?” Jinyoung asked and Channie nodded “Okay, just don’t shake it”

“What is it?” Junghwan asked

Shinwoo ruffled his hair “Let’s wait and see”

Gongchan took the box carefully and felt it heavier than he thought it’d be, it had little holes all over and a blue ribbon and when he opened it he couldn’t close his mouth. It was a turtle. Little swallow eyes, green shell, tiny feet. It was so cute, he barely couldn’t believe it was for him.

“Wow!” Baro said “It’s a turtle!”

“Turtles are dinosaurs, and we know how much you like dinos, so we thought you’d like it” Shinwoo explained, relaxed after seeing the joy in his child’s eyes.

“I love it! I’m gonna call him David”

Gongchan took David out of the box and his brothers stepped closer to touch him, caressing him under it’s neck. The boys played with the turtle all morning, even sitting him on the table while they were having breakfast. David ate this little cookies in a plate, and Gongchan wouldn’t stop looking at him.

“Prepare your swimsuits boys” Jinyoung said “We’re going to the pool”

The cheers were too much. Gongchan’s favorite place was the pool, there were waterslides there and also a waterfall and a bathtub with bubbles. His brothers were as happy as him and it was crazy to get everybody into the car. They sang on the road, they ate cookies and listened to SNSD (his appa’s favorite band) and Baro finally gave him the card he was holding in the morning. It was a hand-made paper card from him and Sandeullie, painted with the fingers. It had a picture of the three of them wearing their animal pajamas; a dino, a squirrel and a duck. They had painted balloons all over and smiley faces and a big HAPPY BIRTHDAY all over the card in blue painting. Gongchan loved it. He may not say it much, but he liked his hyungs very much. He liked Baro’s attitude and Sandeullie’s laughter and he even enjoyed it when they had their little fights.

 

Jinyoung was pleased. Pleased about his kid liking his turtle and pleased about his baby knowing exactly what to give him and pleased about the boys singing to I Got A Boy in the backseat.

He was pleased when he put the swimsuits on the kids and tickled Sunwoo, who had a suit with skulls and saw Junghwan’s plump tummy looking cute, because he was so damn happy he had them and that his mother and father were gone so they didn’t have to worry about being too rude or too chubby. He really didn’t know why he thought it was a good idea to had them over…

“Overthinking?” Shinwoo asked

“A little” he admitted “maybe I exposed our kids too much”

“Look at them” he pointed to the boys playing in the water, splashing happily “they are happy to be here, they aren’t thinking about that anymore so neither should you”

“I know…” he started

Shinwoo interrupted him “So don’t. And enjoy your son’s birthday with me okay?”

“Okay”

“I love you” Shinwoo said stealing a kiss from his lips “now let’s go to the pool”

 

The day was great. The day was so great. They swam and slide and played and had ice cream and ate cake and played with David and it was so great that Jinyoung wasn’t surprised when something bad happened.

The day was so ing great.

“What did you want to talk about?” Shinwoo said, closing the door behind him. The kids were watching TV and eating cake at the living room, oblivious of the situation.

“I don’t know how to say this so I’ll just go to the point of it” Jinyoung looked exhausted, with bags under his eyes and a big weight on his shoulders “My mom called, my father is sick, he’d another heart attack and she took him to the hospital and they’re going to come here, to Seoul, for him to have a heart surgery.”

“Oh, god, Jinyoung. Are you okay?”

“Yes, I mean, my dad’s okay now so I guess it’s fine. But my mom is going to have to stay here and…”

Shinwoo smiled a troubled smile “Don’t worry about that baby, it’s an emergency, these things happen and sometimes we cannot do anything about them. The only important thing now is that your dad needs to rest and have his surgery”

Jinyoung looked at him gratefully, and leaned on his chest, sighing. He didn’t say anything, it wasn’t necessary. He was just thankful he had them and he was thankful he could feel his breathe on the top of his head.

“Let’s not tell the children tonight”

“I’ll tell them that you have a headache, now get some rest, I’ll take care of everything”

“I feel like I don’t want to move” Jinyoung confessed

Shinwoo did what any gentleman would do; he lifted Jinyoung off the ground and carried him princess style to the bed. He tucked him and kissed him in the forehead. “Don’t overthink” he warned and left.

It was going to be hard to put the kids to sleep after so much sugar.