Butterflies and a secret

Fuff Sprout Family

He made his way to the stage and looked to the rest of the class, trying to avoid the look of Miss. Cho (which was hard because she was right in front of him). He felt confident, maybe just a little bit nervous, but it all went away when he saw his brother giving him a thumbs-up and heard the voice of his teacher saying Action.

He felt a smirk growing on his face and without noticing, he was already reading his lines, acting along. Baro wasn’t really paying attention to the paper in front of him –when Channie asked him later what part did he acted, he didn’t remember-, but he could feel he was doing the right expression and movements. And as fast as it all started it was all done and his classmates were clapping. A real kind of clapping. He dared to take a look; Miss. Cho was smiling.

He had made her smile. That was enough to keep him in the clouds all day.

 

“You were so great Baro!” his twin said when he went down the stage “like really! So awesome!”

“You think they’d pick me?” the little rapper didn’t want to, but he still sounded kind of concerned.

“They have to” Junghwan assured

They had a little recess while the Miss. Cho and Miss. Kim decided who got what part and why, and Baro really did not what to do in the mid-time so he just listened to his brother practice in the piano. They had been at the music room for a while when Junghwan stopped making music and looked at his brother, who was playing with his cap sitting on the floor.

“You’re too quiet” he said

“You’re playing”

“That never kept you quiet before” Deullie attacked again “are you nervous? You can have some of my cookies if you want”

Baro laughed at the simplicity of his twin, of course he’d offer him food. It was that simple to him.

“You’ll never forgive me if I take your cookies and I don’t want to take the risk” Baro replied, still laughing “Besides, I don’t think I can eat, my tummy feels weird”

“Weird how? Did you eat too much? It sometimes happens to me…”

“No” Sunwoo shook his head, trying to find the right words to explain “like I have butterflies inside”

Sandeul left the piano seat immediately “Do you think I can hear them?”

“I don’t know. Maybe”

Sunwoo pulled up his shirt and showed his belly to his brother, the oldest leaned his ear on his bellybutton and kept quiet for a while, still he felt nothing.

“Your belly is cold” he said “but I can’t hear anything”

“Pay attention” Baro begged “I know they’re in there”

Sandeul came back to his original position, trying to focus on his brother, but he only felt his breathing and sometimes the beating of the heart that was too strong. The door of the room opened.

Miss. Cho found them in that strange situation and laughed a little. The twins stood straight right away.

“We were looking for you kids, the recess is over” she said with a smile, no questions about anything. That’s why everyone liked her so much.

Sunwoo’s face was really red.

 

Baro made his brother promise he wouldn’t say a thing until they were all together that evening. So, Sandeul was obviously dying to tell someone.

“Just let me tell Channie” he was asking him before finding their brother after school

“No, I want it to be a surpise”

“But…”

“I said no”

Junghwan didn’t understand. If it was he who has gotten the part, he would be telling everyone as soon as he saw them. But Sunwoo just had this pleased smile on his face and didn’t say anything. Maybe it was because the butterflies were still inside him…

 

Shinwoo was doing the dishes when the phone rang, the kids were playing in their room and his hands were full of soap, the thing still ringing.

“Can someone take it?” Shinwoo asked in a loud voice.

At the other side of the line, Jinyoung was having a little break from work, waiting for someone in that house to pick up the phone. Finally someone did.

“Hello? Jung’s family house” a little voice said with enthusiasm

“Hello baby” Jinyoung couldn’t help but smile a little at the cuteness

“Appa! Eomma it’s Appa!” he heard Gongchan yelling “how are you Appa?”

“Excellent baby, what about you?”

“Very good, we were playing to be pirates! Baro is our Capitan” he said happily “and we have a flag and everything”

Jinyoung laughed “I see” they were so cute… and talking about cuteness “Can I talk to Shinwoo eomma?”

 

“Hello there…” Jinyoung said when he finally had Shinwoo on the phone “how’s my baby?”

“Finally done with the dishes”

“Sounds exciting” Jin laughed “Hey, why haven’t you called to tell me?” he said in a hurt voice, obviously trying to make Shinwoo feel guilty.

“To tell you what?” and Shinwoo was confused.

“You know, about our little star”

“What?” the man with the ponytail asked

“What?”

Shinwoo smiled to himself “okay, what’s going on here?”

“Miss. Cho from school called me”

“Oh”

“It’s good news, relax. He told me that Sunwoo got the part of the Little Prince”

“What? Really? He hadn’t said anything!”

“Are you kidding me? I thought it was the first thing he was going to do” Jinyoung said, confused.

“Me too… I wonder why he haven’t told us…”

“Yeah me too…” the line was silent for a second “Well, he’ll tell us when he’s ready right? What about if we take them to pizza? You know, just to celebrate”

“You? Wanting the kids eating unhealthy things?” Shinwoo couldn’t believe it

“Is just one night” Jinyoung gave up

Shinwoo laughed a little “I love you, you’re the best parent”

“No, you are”

“We look like teenagers” Shinwoo said

“The best teenagers in love”

They both just laughed like they did in the old days.

 

Probably entering the room where his three kids were playing and saying “We’re going for pizza tonight!” wasn’t his best idea. But he was so damn happy about his little treasure getting the part that he didn’t think much.

It was a total chaos. The kids were screaming and jumping, probably because never went for pizza on weekdays, or never at all, they always ate at home. And the pizza place was great, because it had this playing plaza inside with slides and everything, and of course, ‘cause there was pizza.

Shinwoo took his time to dress the kids up. They wanted to look good so it took longer than ever. Baro was trying on two different caps when Deullie got closer and asked him if all this pizza thing was about him getting the part, but he said no, he hadn’t say anything. Maybe they were just lucky? He still thought about it a lot… if he wasn’t the reason, then what was it? Maybe their grandparents were coming back. Or worse. Maybe they had other terrible news and they wanted to soften them with pizza. That wouldn’t work for him; he wasn’t Sandeul.

So Sunwoo was the only one who did not cheer up when Jinyoung came home that evening, and also was the only one who didn’t jump into the car. Gongchan noticed. His parents noticed too, and yet they didn’t understand why he hadn’t tell them anything.

The only one who was really in the mood was little Junghwannie. He was too oblivious.

The lady at the restaurant asked them what they wanted to eat, and Sunwoo didn’t argue when his twin asked for peppers on the pizza. He was starting to feel weird. His eomma was staring at him a lot, and his appa was giving him the glare. This wasn’t about his brothers… it was about him. He didn’t remember doing something especially bad, but they were still looking at him. It was getting on his nerves.

“You know guys” Jinyoung started while they were waiting for the pizza to come “we brought you here because you’re very good kids.”

Shinwoo eomma was looking at him. “And good kids don’t keep secrets”

Jinyoung elbowed his spouse, but the kids were already looking at each other, questioning in their eyes. They weren’t stupid.

“We didn’t do anything” Junghwan said in a hurry “I swear”

“We know” Shinwoo said “we were just saying”

Gongchan looked at his brothers, and then his brothers looked at him, and then they knew it was time to get under the table.

“Excuse us” Channie said with a cute frown and disappeared under the furniture.

 

“Okay what did you do?” the younger asked

“Nothing!” said Junghwan “at least not that I can remember”

“Just play along hyungs. They’re going to let it slip”

 

“Shinwoo why did you say that?” Jinyoung asked “now he’ll know we know”

“I was just pushing things a little”

“I wonder why he doesn’t want us to know…”

“Maybe he’s embarrassed? I don’t know, I’ve never seen our Sunwoo act like that before”

 The pizza arrived before they could say no more, and the kids appeared at the table again. They tried to keep a normal conversation, but everyone was looking at each other suspiciously. The parents asked their kids what did they do at school today, and Gongchan spoke, and Junghwan did too. And Sunwoo still felt the glares on him. He couldn’t even enjoy his meal. So he exploded.

“Why are you looking at me like that?” if you asked him later, he’d sure deny it but in that moment Sunwoo was really pouting, a sad pout. He just couldn’t take it anymore, small tears appeared at the corner of his eyes.

“Sunwoo are you crying?” Shinwoo took his son’s hand and squeezed it

“No. I’m not” He said, though he was about to “But I haven’t done anything and you keep looking at me like I’m a criminal and I’m not and grandma did say so but you said I wasn’t but now you look at me like that and why” he said all of this too fast, trying to contain his pain.

Jinyoung stood up to hug him “Oh baby, we were just trying to make you tell us”

“Tell you what? I haven’t done anything” he was so confused

“About you getting the part!”

Sunwoo felt like the world left his shoulders and hugged his father back. So that was it.

“I wanted to tell you when we were all together. Wait, how do you know? Deullie…” he started

“Don’t blame your brother. It was Miss. Cho who called to tell me the news”

Miss Cho called his dad? He started to feel a little of those bugs in his tummy again. He was so happy to know that.

“Guys” Shinwoo called “let’s congratulate your brother for his part, that’s why we’re here after all”

The five of them clapped and Channie even hugged him. Junghwan wouldn’t shut up about how great he was in the morning, and how everyone in the class clapped and how they should’ve been there. Sunwoo thought that it was great not to fight Junghwan sometimes.

 

In the car back home, everyone was a little sleepy in the backseat so it was all silent. But suddenly a little voice spoke, curious about a thing.

“Appa, eomma” Sandeullie asked “can butterflies get into your tummy?”

Jinyoung and Shinwoo looked at each other.

“Are you feeling funny Hwannie? Maybe you had too much pizza” Shinwoo started nagging him

“No, I’m fine” he assured “It’s about Baro”

“Yah! Don’t say those things Deul!”

“Baro ate too much?” Jinyoung asked, confused.

“No! Aigoo, appa you don’t understand anything! Baro has butterflies inside his tummy!” Junghwan explained

“Hwannie, honey. We’ve talked about this, you can’t get bugs inside your tummy okay? Sunwoo’s gonna be fine” Shinwoo said, giving Jinyoung a smirk

“Are you sure?”

“I’m sure”

Junghwan was contempt with that, so he fell asleep in a moment. Jinyoung looked at Baro in the rearview mirror.

“So… our Sunwoo likes someone” he said.

“We have to find out” Shinwoo agreed.