.,.,.

Oranges

    Kris sighed as he watched Joonmyeon cuddle up to Minseok. He swore to himself when Minseok reached down and nuzzled his face into Joonmyeon’s neck. Minseok looked up at Kris and smirked, Joonmyeon’s neck and placing a kiss on the scar there. Joonmyeon shifted on Minseok’s lap and sighed softly as he closed his eyes, content.

 

    “Why the long face, Kris?” Minseok asked, face still buried in his lover's neck.

 

    “ you, Seok.” Joonmyeon sighed again, not wanting another fight to break out, he lightly hit Minseok’s chest. “Stop teasing him, Min.”

 

    Kris got up from his seat on the couch and started for the door. He needed some fresh air, needed to get far away from the loving couple on the armchair. He stopped when Joonmyeon called out his name. “Dont worry about it Kris, you’ll find him again eventually, you always do. This time, you’ll surely get to keep him!”

 

    Kris’s heart clenched at the thought of his own love. His only response was the door slamming as he left, eager to get away.

 

~~~~~~

 

    He was walking through the park, muttering to himself about humans and their latest fashion styles. He mainly didn’t get females and those long dresses. They were way too unflattering and the name is also unattractive. “Maxi dress”, seriously, who came up with that- he stopped. Did he just smell…? He shook his head, surely it couldn’t be him already. After all, it’s only been twenty years. It usually takes him thirty- he smelt it again.

 

    He took a deep breath, trying to pinpoint where the smell was coming from. The wind blew and he snapped his head to the right, searching. There!

 

    There he was, sitting with his back against a tree, looking out onto the river. Kris watched as a breeze came through again and ruffled the hair of his soulmate. He felt his canines grow a little as he smelt that lovely scent of oranges. Kris slowly started to walk towards the handsome man, thinking of excuses to talk to him. He didn’t want to mess up this opportunity to make him his.

 

    “Hey! Jongdae!” a boy came running up to the man on the ground. “You ready to go?” Jongdae smiled and chuckled, nodding. He got up off the ground with the help of the newcomer and bent down to gather his bag.

 

    Jongdae? That’s his name now?

 

Kris was torn. He didn’t want to give up his chance to talk to the beauty, but he also didn’t have an excuse still. After all these years of being alive, I still can’t come up with conversation starters? Kris yelled at himself as he solemnly watched Jongdae leave with the mysterious boy. .

 

~~~~~~

 

    Kris sat at the kitchen table, nursing a cup of blood. He had a piece of paper next to him with a list of pick up lines. Minseok walked in, wearing just sweatpants, showing his chest that was covered in love bites. “You’re not going to get anywhere if you're just going to sit there and wallow in your misery,” he said as he went to the fridge to get a packet of blood for his own cup.

 

    “Shut up, Seok.” Kris paused, taking a deep breath. “I don’t know what to do! He’s going to slip through my fingers again if I don’t do something soon. It’s already been two weeks!” Kris gripped his hair in frustration, letting his forehead hit the table.

 

    Minseok reached over and patted his shoulder. “Don’t overthink it too much. Just go up to him, introduce yourself, and ask him out for a cup of coffee or something. It’ll all work out. He showed up earlier than usual, right? That means something, doesn’t it?” They heard Joonmyeon call from the bedrooms for Minseok. “Just go for it, Kris.”

 

~~~~~~

 

 

    The next day, Kris looked out the window and realized today was not the day to go out looking for Jongdae. It was not the day to go out looking for Jongdae. It was pouring! He didn’t want to stay in the house for long, however, when he heard giggles in the direction of Minseok’s and Joonmyeon’s bedroom. The giggles quickly turned into moans and Kris quickly grabbed an umbrella and left before he could hear more.

 

~~~~~~

 

Even through the rain, Kris could smell oranges. He was confused. Why could he smell it so strongly when it was raining cats and dogs? He let his feet take over as he looked around for the source of the smell. His eyes were drawn to the large poster on the building in front of him. It was of a group he actually approved of. Music nowadays , but these EXO guys… they made music that wasn’t ear splitting or headache inducing. He needed to listen to their newest album, he had been so distracted lately that he hadn’t had the time- the smell was too overwhelming that Kris had to top. Why the hell…? He wondered. He had stopped a few yards away from a streetlight where a figure was crouched- trying to shield the box of puppies left on the sidewalk. Kris walked over to the familiar figure and put his umbrella over the box and man.

 

The figure looked up and... Jongdae?! Kris was shocked. What was his precious doing in the rain?! He could get sick! Or worse! Kidnapped!

 

“Oh thank you! You didn’t have to!” Jongdae smiled up at Kris, lips curling up much like a kitten’s would.

 

“Don’t worry about it. I’m Kris, you are...?” Kris was trying hard to seem normal.

 

“Jongdae,” he smiled, reaching out his hand to shake, “ thank you again for the shelter.”

 

“Where do you need to go? I can walk you there if you want?”

 

“Ah, I live just around the corner, if it’s not too much trouble to take me there? I don’t want you going out of your way. You seem like a busy guy.” Jongdae grabbed the box and stood up.

 

“Nah, I got a lot of time on my hands.” Kris mentally cheered as he and Jongdae started to head towards the apartment.


~~~~~~