Close Encounters of the Cute Kind

The Flower Boy Theory

  

*so just in case you were all wondering what the flat looked like :) The boys share rooms (but use different beds!) and imagine Taeyeon's room covered in drama posters :D

{ credits to: home-designing for the original flat plan }


"So Sehun is the silent type; Luhan is the cute type; Baekhyun is the playful type; and Kyungsoo is...the nice guy type?"

Taeyeon read through her notes again. She'd been observing the boys all day, but that only left her more confused. First of all, they didn't have a dominant leader; no bad boy or cocky brat (except for Jongin who kept badgering her with innuendos, not like that counted). Second, they were all extremely—what's the word—pleasant. Everyone was genuinely nice; even blank-faced Sehun helped carry her stuff into her room. And third, no one seemed to fit into just one archetype; like, when God was making them, he accidentally poured in too much 'Flower boy.'

Take Kyungsoo for example. Not only was he the nice guy type (which is totally different from just the nice type, mind you), he was also the mysterious type. She just couldn't figure him out. She expected Sehun to be the mysterious one, what with him being all poker-faced and brooding, but he was easy to read: when displeased, his eyes would squint just a little, and one side of his lips would turn down, then he'd squirm a bit in his seat (Taeyeon thought perhaps she'd been paying too much attention to him.) But not Kyungsoo.

He had this permanent calm face, even when Baekhyun got too loud and Luhan got too...sparkly. Sure he'd laugh and smile, but Taeyeon couldn't read him beyond that. Was he really happy? Didn't he ever get mad? She didn't know. She'd written down so many things under the others, but she only had three listed under his:

1. Good cook (damn him and his Kimchi spaghetti)
2. That heart-shaped smile 
3. Smells really good

Okay, so maybe the last two weren't that important, but it only meant that he really was an enigma. She just wished she could get a chance to see him up close, when his guard was down. 

"Still up?"

"Holy shi—" Out of instinct, she threw a punch. Her fist collided with someone's jaw, sending that person to the floor with a loud thud. "Oh my god, I'm so sorr—Kyungsoo?! Why the heck are you still up? You almost killed me!"

Said guy sat on the floor, hand rubbing his already-red jaw. Oh no, not the face! "Hey, that's my line." He chuckled before standing up, "Why are you in the dining room? At one AM? Also, where in the world did you learn to punch like that?"

"Aha...about that..." Taeyeon didn't even realise how long she'd been sitting there. She just couldn't fall asleep and decided to work on her theory, maybe check if there were any leftovers.

"Notes and observations?" 

Taeyeon snapped her head back to where her notebook was, only to find it in Kyungsoo's hands. How did he get around her so fast?! "T-That's—!"

"Kyungsoo: nice-slash-mysterious. Good cook," he paused, eyes crinkling and a big smile on his lips as he read the rest. He looked at her, eyebrow raised suggestively, "thanks, it's my natural scent." 

Her face turned red and she was about to retort, when all trace of playfulness left his face as he stared at her with dark, questioning eyes. "You know, Kim Taeyeon, I never really asked you why you moved in with us. I guess it's for personal reasons, eh?"

She felt go dry and avoided his gaze. She didn't expect her cover to be blown so soon, didn't even last a week! He was gonna kick her out, surely. Taeyeon squeezed her eyes shut, preparing herself for the worst case scenario. 

Just then Kyungsoo laughed, like, really laughed. Not a loud or hysterical one, but a deep, very 'Kyungsoo' kind of laugh. Taeyeon opened her eyes, was her face too funny?

After he calmed down, Kyungsoo ruffled her hair. "I was only kidding, you didn't have to look so scared." He smiled and started walking out the kitchen, towards his room. He suddenly stopped and, with his back turned to her, said, "now you can add 'jokes around' to my list." And then he was gone; leaving only his silhouette in her mind.

Taeyeon stared at his door with her eyebrows still furrowed. Did he just open up to her? Well no, he didn't tell her any deep, dark secrets, but knowing him, that was as close as she could get to seeing his true self—the Kyungsoo who plays around and laughs heartily.

She shook her head, that was enough flower boy encounters for today; it was time to hit the sack. As she went to sleep that morning, Taeyeon realised she never asked Kyungsoo why he was up.


And so the enigma continues.

•••

Mornings . It even more with only five hours of sleep.

Taeyeon wasn't a morning person, not at all, but for some sad reason, she'd always wake up early. Always. She could never go back to sleep, no matter how tired and cranky she was. It was useful on work days, but it was hell on days like this.

She walked out of her room, dragging her feet behind her. She hadn't washed her face and probably looked like crap, but Zombie-tae couldn't care less—coffee, that's what she needed.

There was a note on the fridge: 'went out to buy some stuff, won't be back for a while. feel free to eat some cereal. and check the coffee machine ;) --kyungsoo'

'Bless your heart, Do Kyungsoo' she smiled, pouring herself a cup of warm coffee before sitting down. She stared off into space, her mind blank (like it's often been ever since she moved in).

"Hngg"

'Ah, another zombie,' Taeyeon lazily looked up. Normally, she'd shy away from the perfection that presented itself to her, even if he was in zombie mode. She didn't even know how she survived running into Kyungsoo, and that was when she could barely see him. Now this one was illuminated by the sun, making him extra sparkly, but she wasn't fazed.

"Mnnnnggg asdffgb" 'Good morning,' he greeted Taeyeon, sitting on the chair opposite her.

"Nnnnng praA" 'Good morning, Luhan'

"Hasack kfjrkska?" 'Not gonna eat?'

"Mehh," she took a sip of her coffee, "buuuuhhh nnaaaafk. GaA?" 'No, maybe later. You?'

"Nah."

They looked at each other, silence hanging in the air, before they burst out laughing. "Ha..how did...how did we even...understand each other?" Luhan asked in between laughter.

"I...I don't even know! Zombies get each other, I guess?" Taeyeon looked up, calming herself, and gasped. Luhan was grinning so angelically, the sun hitting his face and making his hair turn a perfect shade of bronze—the image of a flower boy. Oh no, she couldn't speak, she couldn't think. 

Luhan snapped his fingers in front of her, leaning in so he could do so. "Hellooo, earth to Taeyeon? What's the matter, zombie got your tongue?" He joked. Taeyeon slowly broke into smile, then they were laughing again.


Mornings . It even more with only five hours of sleep. But maybe...maybe they weren't that bad. 


Welp, that's that.

Sooo, did I wreck your ship? lol

I know you guys are rooting for different ships, but trust me, your time will come :)

For the meantime, tell me what you think of this chapter. Which encounter did you like more? Mysterious-Kyung or Zombie-Luhan?

Oh. and thank you so much for all the lovely comments and upvotes! You guys give me the energy I need to write (as cheesy as that might sound.)