F is for Flower Boys

The Flower Boy Theory

From the moment she saw them walking towards Geum Jan-di in all their slo-mo perfection, Taeyeon knew it was love. Tousled hair, y smirks, runway-worthy walks—who could resist them? Certainly not her. She practically yelled out in frustration when Goo Jun-pyo was beaten up because he finally showed his love and he was getting hurt and no not his beautiful face. And when it ended, she knew something within her had changed. Her life was dedicated to finding more of those guys. More of those mysterious beings:

Flower Boys.

She binge-watched countless romcoms; cried over every drama; and sang along to all the OSTs. She went through all sorts of flower boys: rich, spoiled, gangster-ish, and even middle aged (flower men?) But none could compare to the notorious F4; for Taeyeon, they were Flower Boy royalty. Eventually, her obsession led to a theory:

"If four attractive guys were to ever come together,

each shall fall into the four major Flower Boy archetypes:

the bad boy leader; the silent nice guy; the skilled artist;

and the casanova. Two of which shall then  fall in love

with one girl."

Her friends and co-workers found it crazy, but she was determined to give it a try. And what better way to test it out than to live with flower boys themselves? 

When Taeyeon saw an ad in the local newspaper about four guys looking for a flatmate, she immediately called them up. The voice on the other end of the phone seemed handsome enough, so why not? She sent them her personal information and pretty soon she was driving to their building, luggage and boxes at the back of her car.

"I still can't believe you're going through with this," Jessica said from the passenger seat. "They could be psychopaths for all we know."

"No way, they live in a pretty expensive flat, meaning they're loaded, meaning they're already one-fourth flower boys." Taeyeon looked out the window, checking the names of the buildings they passed by. They were already in the high class part of the city.

Her best friend sighed softly, "Sometimes your logic scares me."  Taeyeon only grinned in reply.

After a few minutes of silence, Jessica turned to her. "But really, Taeng, you don't find it the least bit suspicious that four guys accepted a girl flatmate right away? Cannibals do stuff like that nowadays."

"That or they're just desperate. The guy I talked to said they'd all be kicked out if they couldn't find a tenant soon, thus the ad." Taeyeon smirked, glancing beside her. "Aww, is the ice princess worried about this dork?" 

"Oh please, I'm worried for those boys. They have to live with a drama obsessed freak with a flower boy ."

Taeyeon laughed. Sometimes her best friend could be really cold, but she knew Jessica loved her. She knew her like the backstory of every character Lee Min-ho has ever played. 

 

"I only disagree with the freak part."

•••

Maybe Jessica was right. Maybe this was a bad idea.

 

Taeyeon stood in front of the neon green door, a fist raised, ready to knock. They arrived twenty minutes ago, and all her boxes were already piled in the hallway, ready to be taken in. She waited there for ten minutes. Ten minutes of staring at the door; ten minutes of practicing what she was gonna say. Her arm was starting to ache.

"You can do this, Taeyeon. They're just guys." She told herself. "Probably cute, good looking guys...but no! You've watched flower boy dramas before, they can't be as handsome as those actors. That's right, and they're all probably mean at first, just like ANJell. Besides, this is for research, for the future generations! You can do this! Kim Taeyeon, fighti—"

The door opened. And so did her jaw.

Tall frame, dark eyes, and plump lips formed into a smirk greeted her. He was leaning on the doorway, arms crossed. She blinked; once, twice. Her brain was having trouble forming a coherent thought. Then it her.

Oh. My. God. A flower boy in the flesh.

"Can I help you?" He asked slowly, smirk still in place. How was that even possible? Taeyeon gulped, of course you can—help, that is. Of course he can help her.

She gestured to her things and the guy broke into a grin, flashing his pearly whites. Oh dear god, she's seen the light of a thousand suns. Stop it, control yourself!

"Oh, you must be Kim Taeyeon!"

"And you must be an angel." Oh . She did not just say that. His grin widened, eyebrows raised. Ohohoh. "I-I didn't mean--"

He surprised her by laughing. "First time I've heard that." He bent over, clutching his stomach, before adding, "Usually it's a model or a y beast, but points for originality." He winked.

'Cocky, eh? Must be the leader.' Taeyeon mentally noted. 'Nicer than expected, but I can work with that.'

"Hey Jongin! Who's at the door?" A voice shouted from inside the flat, making Taeyeon jump.

"It's your new flatmate!" The boy—Jongin—shouted back before walking out to the hall. Your? Taeyeon frowned in confusion, "You don't live here?"

Jongin was already carrying two boxes, his head peeking out from the side. "Unfortunately for you, I don't. I just hang out here from time to time." 

Taeyeon's frown deepened. He was the perfect cocky leader type, how could that be? Jongin must've noticed her expression, because soon he was laughing again. "Oh come on, don't look so upset, the other guys are pretty attractive, too. Not as handsome as I am, but they're all okay."

No, they were not. Because that meant the remaining four already didn't have the first flower boy archetype. A group can't have two leaders! That only meant there was a hole in her theory. But it was already too late to back out.

"Why don't you go inside? I'm almost done moving your stuff." And he was. She'd been so caught up in her thoughts that she didn't realise only a couple of her things were left. She followed Jongin into the spacious flat. Ahead of her she could hear loud cheers and blasts. She rolled her eyes; boys will be boys. Even flower boys played video games. 

"Geez, guys, did you all even hear me? Your new flatmate's here." Jongin stepped aside, allowing Taeyeon to get a clear view of the living room. It was huge; paintings covered the walls and a flat screen TV was in the middle of the room, facing her. Four boys were on the couch with their backs turned to her. 

Then a hand reached out to pause the game, and it was as if Taeyeon was thrown back in time; back when she first saw F4 making their way towards Jan-di. Back when she first fell in love with those fictional flower boys. Except this was real life, and she was Kim Taeyeon, and they all turned to her simultaneously, hair flipping back in slow motion. 

One of them walked towards her. He had dark hair and thick lips like Jongin, except he had milky white skin and big round eyes. "Hello, I'm Do Kyungsoo," he gave her a heart shaped smile (Taeyeon was sure it could bring world peace.) "We've talked on the phone before." 

Ah, so he was the one she's been talking to. His voice sounded ten times hotter and smoother in real life though. "It's nice to finally mee—"

"—Hi! I'm Baekhyun. Byun Baekhyun." A guy with glasses said, sliding up to her and putting an arm around her shoulder. Taeyeon couldn't help but smile up at him, "Hi, Baekhyun." she said softly.

He looked at her with eyes almost as wide as Kyungsoo's and stepped away as if he'd been burnt. "U-Um, I better get back to killing people. No, not real people, just people in the game!" Then he ran back to the couch, hands on his mouth. 

Taeyeon looked at Kyungsoo who only chuckled in reply. 

"Ohh, so you'll be living with us from now on." A blonde boy said, appearing next to Jongin, another guy beside him. "I'm Luhan and this is Sehun." He smiled at her cutely. Taeyeon could only stare. Such a pretty face. 

The other boy cleared his throat, eyes boring holes into Taeyeon's face. He stared at her blankly, making her feel self-conscious. "Erm, nice to meet both of you."

Kyungsoo laughed, seeing her discomfort. "Don't worry, he'll warm up to you." He turned to Baekhyun, "Hey, get back here, Baek. Let's all give her a proper welcome."

The four of them—Jongin was at the side, smirking again—gathered in front of her, and Taeyeon felt that same sense of déjà vu. They flashed her their biggest and brightest smiles, except for Sehun who only stared at her of course, and her heart jumped. 

 

"Welcome to your new home!"


Aaaand, that's it for the first chapter! Hate it? Love it? Please comment below~

Oh, and thanks to all my subscribers and even those who bothered clicking the story in the first place :)

{ btw, who are you rooting for? Kyungsoo? Baekhyun? Luhan? Sehun? Or maybe even Jongin? haha }