VI

Fairytale Love: The Little Mermaid
CHAPTER VI

 

As the days passed, Eunji continued to do well with her job at the café, as long as she stayed out of the kitchen. Mostly in the counter or being the waitress were her duties. She was staying there for a week already, and she was now planning to learn making coffee with the help of Junmyeon and sometimes Baekhyun. Since the night with teacher Baekhyun featuring her childish drawing, the two were now in good terms. Not still close as the others but they were getting there. 

That morning, she woke up early for her coffee making lessons, but first they ate the breakfast that Chorong made. They all sat down on the table at the kitchen and eat peacefully.

“Oh I forgot the water” Chorong said as she looked around the table when she was about to drink

“I’ll get it” Eunji volunteered and stood. She went to the fridge of their goods, since there was a different fridge for the foods used in the café. She get the pitcher of water and was about to close the fridge when she saw a wrapped fish meat in there. She stopped for a moment before looking back at the table where the three people were eating, she looked back at the fridge again and back to the table, particularly to the dish served.

“Eunji what’s wrong?” Chorong asked noticing that she was just standing there

Eunji went to the table and put the pitcher down before asking Chorong

“Unni, i-is there fish meat here?” she asked pointing on the dish on the table, the meat that was there were shredded so she couldn’t really tell, and besides, she still lacked information about human foods.

“Uh yeah, why?” Chorong asked curiously

With that answer she ran to the sink and threw up, she opened the faucet to wash and her face. She hit her head for being stupid, for not realizing it all these time. She already saw the dead fishes the other day but she didn’t think that she may be already eating them “How can I eat my own kind?! I’m sorry oh my how can I eat my own friends?” she cried in a whisper

“Hey you okay?” Baekhyun came near her and rub his hand on her back trying to calm her, even if she was not okay she just nodded weakly

“Why? What’s wrong with fishes? Are you allergic?” Chorong asked worriedly

“No… but, I just don’t want to eat fish” she said, not looking at them

“But why?”

“I…I…” Eunji said as she held her head, acting that it was hurting. It was the last resort she had so that she could avoid the question. She couldn’t just reveal that the reason why she didn’t want to eat fish was because she was a mermaid. She sat down at the chair and they gave her water to drink. After asking her if she’s okay, they didn’t question her anymore and just think that it was part of her current condition.

 

After eating breakfast and resting for a while they started their lesson. She focused and listened to Junmyeon well, afraid to make a mistake again. Baekhyun and Chorong watched too, giving tips and comments too every now and then. She was nervous and her hands were shaking when she first tried to make coffee but because they assured her that it’s fine, she made it. Joonmyeon also said that she was a fast learner.

As they were having their lessons, the other boys already came and their busy day began. That day was a very busy day and there were so many work to be done inside the café. Even Eunji helped in bringing the heavy sack of coffee beans since all the guys were not available.

“You should’ve called me” Baekhyun said and gets the sack from her when he saw her carrying it.

“It’s okay you’re doing something” she said reassuring Baekhyun that she was fine

“But this is heavy, take over there first, I’ll bring this” Baekhyun said

“Oh, okay” she said and went to what Baekhyun was doing earlier.

 

 


 

 

It’s already nearing afternoon but people still flooded their café, it’s not that they don’t like it, it’s just that the amount of people was unusual since it was not yet summer. But they learned that there was an event going on just near so that was the reason for the number of people around. Eunji got a break for a while and stayed on the garden while munching on some sandwiches. Her stomach was already aching so she just ate there, thinking that she was just hungry due to the tiring day. She filled her stomach and sipped on a drink made by Baekhyun when the latter came to the garden.

“Hey” Baekhyun said

“Hi, oh this drink is so good” she said and smiled while Baekhyun thanked her. He said that it was one of his grandma’s best.

“Eunji, since you’re on break can you deliver these coffees to Mr. Kwon? You know him right, the souvenir shop owner that lives two cottages away from here. We’re all busy inside” Baekhyun asked

“Yes I know him, give it to me” she said and stood up, shaking off some crumbs in her hand

“Are you done eating?” He asked because she stood already

“Yeah it’s okay” She said and gets the coffees; she carried it on one hand while her drink is on the other. She smiled at Baekhyun before walking away.

“Uhm Eunji” he called so she stopped and turned back to him, but instead of saying something, he reached out his hand and wipe off some bread on the side of Eunji’s lips. “There” he said and smiled

“Oh… thanks” she just said and walked away

Baekhyun was left there and stretched his tired body first because he knew that once he step inside, he was going to be more tired. After stretching, his eyes caught something from the white bench where Eunji had seated a minute before.

“B-blood?” he mumbled as he got closer to examine it, and thinking that it was something what he was thinking of, his face suddenly became red with his realization. He scratched the back of his neck while entering the café again “I think I should tell Chorong noona about it”

 

 


 

 

Walking back to the café after she delivered the coffees, Eunji was all smiles on her way, Mr. Kwon was a nice person and she was also starting to know more people around the area. She climbed the 5 stepped stairs of the café when she bumped to a group of teens walking their way down, causing for her to lose balance and fall. Her body was in pain but her area was the worst since it was the area that got all the pressure and weight from the fall. The group of teens immediately helped her and apologized, she apologized too and assured them that everything is fine, but she actually felt dizzy and her knees felt weak, and slowly she lost consciousness. Jongin who was wiping the windows saw what happened and immediately ran to her.

“Noona!”

 

 


 

 

Chorong stared at the girl who was sleeping peacefully. When she fainted outside the café, Chorong immediately took her to the hospital and left the six boys at the café. She sighed and looked down and noticed that her shirt had some blood on it, it was Eunji’s blood and she worry so much. When the doctors were checking her they took long that added more to her worries.

Soon the nurse called her and she went to the doctor’s office to get the results. Eunji already became a good friend and she was afraid of what had really happened to her. She faced the doctor ready to hear everything.

“So what happened to her?” she asked nervously

“Are you her relative?” the doctor asked, taking his eyes away from some papers

“No, but I’m her friend. Her… her parents can’t make it” she said

“Well then, the patient…” The doctor started to talk about Eunji’s condition, and as he explained further, Chorong’s eyes widen in shock. She can’t believe what she was hearing, and she asked herself… how can that happen? Eunji….

 

 

When she went back to Eunji’s room, she spotted Junmyeon outside. The guy immediately ran to her and hugged her.

“What happened?” Junmyeon asked, noticing the teary eyed Chorong

“Eu…eunji she… she is…” Chorong’s lips trembled as she tried to explain

“She’s what?” he asked and she answered, as expected Junmyeon was also shocked with the news

“A.. are you sure?” he asked and Chorong nodded

“But how can that happen, is that even possible?” he asked

“I also don’t know how to feel… about this, about her” she said, running her finger through her hair

“What about her amnesia? Do you think she just hides it from us or she really forgets?” Junmyeon asked

“The doctor said that the amnesia is possibly true, and they were still checking… so maybe she really forgets it”

“Should we tell her then?” Junmyeon asked

“I don’t know, no? I think it’s not the right time to reveal to her” Chorong said, still confused.

“Then what about Baekhyun, he’s inside”

“I think it’s better if we’re just the only ones who knows, at least just now” Chorong said

“Will that be okay?”

“I hope so”