II

Fairytale Love: The Little Mermaid
CHAPTER II

 

 

He was a little boy who always played with the shells and sand by the shore. He was a teen eagerly helping his fisherman grandfather with the fish and his grandmother in her small beverage shop. He was a boy with no parents, killed by the sea that was now giving him life. He was a grandson who mourned nonstop when her grandparents died.

And now he was an adult, a twenty two year old guy that share-owned a cafe restaurant by the beach. Together with his friend named Junmyeon, they successfully built the cafe after the death of his grandmother. It was his grandmother's wish to have a cafe, not just a small cart, and sell her refreshing drinks and yummy deserts. But since they have no money, especially when his grandpa left them 2 years before, he couldn’t make the old lady's wish come true. When she died, he stopped on her small business, he tries to find other jobs than by just selling drinks, but he failed. Months after, his childhood friend Junmyeon came back, with his fiancée Chorong. Noticing the gloom in his friend, he decided to help him and built the cafe.

Junmyeon and Baekhyun owned the café and together with Chorong, they run the cafe by themselves. Though with a not so good start, soon the cafe became well known. They also hired more workers and got 4 young and handsome men. Kyungsoo, the head chef, Chanyeol the all around waiter who always put the mood on, Jongin the waiter and greets the customers, especially the ladies, with such iness and charisma, and Sehun the maknae and is the cashier, also expert in making their latest addition to the menu, bubble tea. Chorong helped in the kitchen and Junmyeon in making coffee. Baekhyun is the one who made the drinks that her grandma always did. Since he was the one who knew how to, well everyone knows the simple recipe of those drinks but when Baekhyun made it, they say it was better, maybe because of the memories of his grandmother.

One morning of April, the spring breeze was felt and Baekhyun, Junmyeon and Chorong decided to have a morning exercise by the shore. They jogged and played like little kids. It is still early to open the cafe so they still have time. They stopped for a while when they reached the rocky part of the beach. Chorong sat on one rock and was followed by Junmyeon. Baekhyun, on the other hand, wanting to sit on a bigger rock, walked ahead more. He started to climb a rock when his gaze fell onto something. But more like someone. It was a feet, seriously he felt nervous at first. What if it’s a dead person? A murdered person thrown there? He’s not prepared to see such horrible scene.

But his curiosity grew on him so he moved a bit to fully see the person. His eyes widen in shocks and his face grew red. He abruptly step back causing him to trip. Noticing his fall, the couple went to him with concerned faces.

“Baekhyun what’s wrong?” Junmyeon asked him

“T-there” he stammered as he pointed behind the big rock, where he had seen the person

“What’s in there?”

“A girl” he answered, with cheeks still flushed red “N-”

Junmyeon who was about to peek stopped with Baekhyun’s last word. Both his and Chorong’s eyes widen.

“Yah Kim Junmyeon, don’t you dare take another step” Chorong said and walk past his fiancé, walking to the rock. The two boys heard her gasp

“What’s wrong?” The guys asked

“Stay there! She’s unconscious, but still breathing. Baekhyun grab a blanket or coat, anything! Faster!”

“Ah, wait a minute” He said and ran back to their house. The three all lived together in a two storey house. The first floor is the café and the 2nd floor is where they live.

After a few minutes, Baekhyun came back with a blanket. Chorong gets it from him and covered the girl’s body with it. After that she let the boys carry the girl back to their house.

 They put her inside a vacant room. The second floor had three rooms and a living room. Chorong and Junmyeon shared a room and Baekhyun used the other one. They have no idea why they have three rooms there, but they used it as a guest room sometimes. 

It was almost time for the café’s opening; the other boys were already at the café preparing. The two guys went down and helped in the café while Chorong took care of the girl. She cleaned her body by wiping a wet towel on her and also put clothes on her. The girl was also burning with a fever.

Chorong stared at the girl’s face for while. It felt like she have seen her before, but she didn’t remember. The girl was a total stranger to them, but Chorong didn’t feel unsecured with her around. She have that innocent face that made Chorong felt calm. But Chorong wondered as to why was she at the shore, totally . The only thing that Chorong saw from her is a necklace, with a ring.  She looked closer at the ring and saw a named carved in it.

“Eunji”

“Maybe it’s her name?”

After taking care of her, Chorong left her to sleep and she went down at the café to start her work.

 


 

“Whoa? Really a girl?” Chanyeol asked Baekhyun as they wiped the tables. There were no customers yet.

“Yeah”

“She’s when Baekhyun saw her” Junmyeon chuckled and automatically made Baekhyun blush

“Woah woah who’s ?” Jongin suddenly popped out of nowhere

“Aish you ert” Kyungsoo smacked Jongin’s head

“Hyung, you’re blushing” Sehun pointed to Baekhyun’s face

“Yah! Hey hey why are you all here? Go back to you place!” Baekhyun said, not wanting to be in the hotseat

“Ey, just tell us hyung, is she hot? Is she—“

“Jongin, you and your erted mind” Baekhyun said and walked away from the boys

“But really, Baekhyun’s reaction earlier is priceless!” Junmyeon said and laugh

“Why are you laughing? Why? Would you react differently if you see a body lying on the ground?!” Baekhyun shouted when he heard Junmyeon’s remarks

“What do you think you’re doing?” They all turned and saw Chorong, automatically they all went back to their places

“Uh… How is she?” Baekhyun asked

“She had a fever, but she’s now resting. Let’s just wait for her to wake up”

 


 

The day for the café went smoothly, just an ordinary day for them. It was already 6 in the afternoon when Chorong asked Baekhyun to check on the girl. Baekhyun didn’t want to do it at first, but Chorong was busy cooking since it was already dinner and more customers were entering, and he couldn’t just let any of those boys. He just have a feeling that they will do something wrong. So he did what Chorong asked anyway.

He went up to the second floor and entered the guest room with a tray of food in his hands. He put the tray on the table and noticed the necklace. He examined it and saw the name Eunji written on the ring.

“Eunji huh?” He put the necklace back on the table. He looked at the girl and touched her forehead. Her fever already went down. He sat on the chair for a while and examined the girl’s face. She was indeed pretty, he couldn’t deny that. Her face was angelic and so peaceful while she’s sleeping. Slowly, his gaze moved down from her face to her body.

“Aish! Why am I thinking of that?!” He said to himself and smacked his own head. He shook his head and tries to calm down. He looked at the girl again and saw that her eyes were open.

“Whoa” He jumped in surprise.

The girl was still lying on the bed, with eyes open. She then started to blink and abruptly sat up.

“Oww my head” She said while touching her head

“H-hey” Baekhyun said, the girl then looked at him

“Hoh!” she said surprised by his existence in that room

“Ah ahm are you okay?” He asked, and tried to smile

“I’m fine. But where am I? And who are you?” She asked

“We saw you earlier unconscious and took you here at our house. I-I’m Byun Baekhyun by the way. And you? Who are you?”

She didn’t answer him, but instead she thinks. She touched her head and finally remembered. The palace, the sea witch, the potion. She suddenly pulled up the blanket and gasped as she her legs.

“Legs! I’ve got legs. Omo” She thought and slapped herself “I’m not dreaming!”

“Are you alright?” Baekhyun asked when he saw her slapped herself

Eunji stared at him “Omo, what should I do? Should I tell him that I’m a mermaid? But he won’t believe me. He would just think I’m crazy. But what should I do? Ah right, his question, maybe this is the right thing to do for now”

“I…I…. who am I?” She asked him, with confused face “Please believe it”

“You don’t remember?”

“No….I.. I can’t remember anything” She said and touched her head dramatically, as if it’s hurting “Oh I never thought I can be an actress”