Gloomy Beginnings

How to Tame Your Writer

Silence had fallen on the Kim residence, right after a loud thud had shaken the house. The only current residents at how: five-year-old Taemin and his older brother, seventeen-year-old Jonghyun, were staring at the wall in utter shock as the remnants of the elder's guitar slowly fell on the ground, in a somewhat dramatic manner.

"Whoops." Taemin mumbled, still holding the instrument's neck in his small, chubby hands."It slipped." He added before swiftly turning and making a dash towards the second floor. But to his utter disappointment, his brother was quicker then him this time.

"Don't even think of running." Jonghyun growled out, hands firmly placed on the younger's shoulders. His most precious possession had just been destroyed, and already, he had to realize that without it, he wouldn't have the chance to play with his band. 

"Look, I'm sorry." Taemin said, his smart, round eyes filling with fearful tears."I didn't know it would actually you know... break. Minho said he did the same and nothing happened... It.. cracked, but the next day his guitar was back to normal. Maybe it's gonna happen to yours, too?"

Naivety has always been a trait that young Taemin, and until that faithful hour, Jonghyun had always tolerated it, but he finally had enough. He understood that his brother was still just a child, but didn't children just play harmlessly? He had always thought that having a younger brother would be cool, because he would follow him everywhere, like a shadow, and do everything Jonghyun would ask.

But this shadow had seemed to grown a mind of its on. 

"Taemin," The elder started finally, his voice low and dark as he ran a hand through his short, freshly-bleached hair."just who is Minho again?"

"Choi Minho, the son of mommy's boss." Taemin answered readily, hope sparking up in his eyes. His innocent little brain was already filled with the thoughts of escaping without a fight: probably, Jonghyun's guitar was going to be the same as before by the next day. There was one thing the small child hadn't known: Minho's toy guitar had indeed been broken, but his parents got him a new one so he wouldn't throw a fuss. Minho was probably aware of that fact, but he must have found it beyond amazing or cool to tell his classmates that his guitar was capable of repairing itself.

"And what do we know of mommy's boss?' Jonghyun's tone was sickly-sweet by that time as he let go of his brother, crouching down to look right into his eyes. While awe was filling the coffee-colored orbs that Taemin had, pure anger was glimmering in his. 

He just couldn't believe the fact that his brother had just broken his guitar. Taemin had done stupid things before, but they were never too bad. The fact that the stupid Minho kid's stories affected him in a bad way had been noticed by Jonghyun before, but he had ignored it, thinking that no harm would be done if his brother believed some dumb things. Now he knew very well, that he had been wrong.

Choi Minho, even at the tender age of seven, was incredibly manipulative and just evil. He had always gotten what he wanted - he either got it by whining, crying or yelling, depending on the color of his underwear - thus he had grown into a little brat who thought he could do everything he wanted.

And the truth was, that he could.

His parents were incredibly rich. Jonghyun had to admit that his family couldn't be considered poor, but there were many things he had longed for as a child, and now as he grew, as a teenager, and couldn't get, because they were too expensive.

To Minho's family, there were no such things.

It wouldn't have been too annoying if the little devil hadn't corrupted Taemin. It had been him who had blessed - or maybe cursed? - Jonghyun's little shadow with a brain.

Shaking off his thoughts, Jonghyun focused his gaze on his brother who was looking at him with wide eyes."Well, he's rich." he said finally, lips curving into an innocent smile."You know, most bosses are." he added, trying to look smart.

Jonghyun took a deep breath to calm himself, then another, and another. 

"Please, go to your room." He said finally, his gaze suddenly filled with the distant hint of hate."Just go there, and don't even think of setting a foot outside right until mom arrives. After that, maybe we can discuss it."

"But..." Taemin mumbled, taking a few steps backwards."I... I really didn't mean it!" he said."I just wanted to lift it up but it was heavy and I lost my balance!"

"And you ing hit the wall with it? Instead of you know... dropping it?" Jonghyun finally raised his voice, his hands shaking from the suppressed rage that was coursing through his veins."Because you know, I would understand it if it had just slipped from your tiny, little weak hands, but no! You had to crash it against the wall. The ing wall. Made of bricks and whatnot. It couldn't land on the carpet, oh no! What would have happened then, huh? Maybe I wouldn't be without a guitar?"

"But..." Taemin's voice grew quiet as once again, tears slowly filled his eyes. He sniffed before dashing up to his room, tripping a few times over his own, chubby feet in his hurry.

Jonghyun felt his body get heavier, and let it sink to the ground with a heavy sigh. He knew very well that what had happened wasn't by accident. He had been there when Taemin hit the wall with the guitar. Despite that though, he had seen the shock in the younger's eyes. Probably, even he didn't think that such a big amount of damage would be down to the fragile instrument.

"Great, I'm a guitarist, without a guitar." Jonghyun muttered to himself, clenching his fists. He wished to just ran after his brother and teach him a lesson but he knew very well that in that case, his parents would have been beyond angry at him. Already, he knew that he wouldn't get a guitar from them:

After all, he shouldn't have left his guitar out in the open with a five-year-old in the house.